cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Raphy
Adept I

The Witcher 3 crashing on 7900XTX

I just tried to play the Witcher 3 Next Gen update but it always crashes after a few minutes in game. I first thought it was raytracing but even after turning that off the game keeps crashing

25 Replies
tmeysey
Journeyman III

I have the same problem and have found out that disabling FSR solved my crashes. 
Playing at 1440p with TAAU now and it works. Maybe worth a shot.

0 Likes
squanchy
Adept I

still crashes on 7900XT...but ive also read this games had issus since the patch for RT came out. Hard to diagnose

0 Likes
dekov
Adept II

Seems like this is problem on all RX 7900 cards, games are crashing, on some games (witcher 3) more often than on other games.

0 Likes
lucas360
Adept I

for me its also reset the driver some how, and then i need reset PC for that :((( ref 7900XTX. if you find any solution please share !

0 Likes
Kikiman
Journeyman III

Same problem... i tried to disable RT and put on ultra (not ultra+) but crashes in less than 5 min only walking with sardinilla. Playing with RT on and FSR off same problem.... if this problem continues... RMA and buy nvidia...

New: trying with graphic high and crash always with sardinilla....

AMD DO SOMETHING!!

0 Likes

FYI to those who may still have issues, I still can't get the next-gen update (DX12) to work but I can still play the DirectX 11 version of the game just fine on my reference 7900 XT. Doesn't look as nice but it runs.

Instructions to launch on DX11 on GOG Galaxy: Next to the Play button there is an icon for more options (lines and dots), there should be an option listed as "Additional executables" where you can select the DX11 version. That will launch the game.

I'm sure there are different instructions for steam and that you can find the .exe file for the DX11 version in the local files if you dig for it.

0 Likes

I have the Steam version and with the 7900 XTX the game does not even start in DX 11 mode, it crashes right away when clicking the launch button ^^

Driver is 22.12.2

The RX 7900 causes problems in many game for me, WIII is hard to test because it tends to crash at different points, like in menu or after loading a game.
And in my case it does not actually crash but somehow the connection to the display breaks.
I get a blackscreen (different colors, can be grey, brownish, ...) but the game keeps running, i can hear audio and can move the cursor to the other screens ^^
Only way to get the main display that works is to dis- and reconnect the cable of the screen.
Very annoying ..
But if i reconnect, i can continue playing and actually the game never really crashed for me, only the connection to the display if you can say so.

0 Likes
Venom747
Journeyman III

FYI to those who may still have issues, I still can't get the next-gen update (DX12) to work but I can still play the DirectX 11 version of the game just fine on my reference 7900 XT. Doesn't look as nice but it runs.

Instructions to launch on DX11 on GOG Galaxy: Next to the Play button there is an icon for more options (lines and dots), there should be an option listed as "Additional executables" where you can select the DX11 version. That will launch the game.

I'm sure there are different instructions for steam and that you can find the .exe file for the DX11 version in the local files if you dig for it.

0 Likes
hilmarcomp2
Journeyman III

Unfortunately, on the 7900XTX, a lot of games in the latest ones, such as cs go, were also crashing, everything was fine, unfortunately I was forced to change the graphics card

0 Likes

So i tought it fixed and right know the quen spell started to crash the game....  

WhyAMDwhyAMD
Journeyman III

Hello, same problem for me with the sapphire 7900xtx vapor x.....
And when I put the same settings that you can see in the beginning this video : https://youtu.be/mzR1Cgh7f2c
I'm stuck at 60 FPS... What is inferior to a 6950xt performances...

If anyone can help me... Thanks !

0 Likes

Hi, 

found out that turning off XMP / EXPO helps sometimes and try verify game files on steam it also helps.

If nothing helps then do DDU with the internet cable disconnected.

0 Likes
shpackr
Adept I

same problem on 7900xt.

Witcher 3 and GTA 5 keeps crashing.

other games like Hogwarts, cyberpunk, CSGO, RDR2 runs perfect

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.31/1.32v did work great but new gen version must be fixed but it will take time.

crashing with 6700xt...

maybe if we disable all new options in graphic section game will work good.

0 Likes

witcher 3 next gen still crashing in dx12

0 Likes

7900xtx

0 Likes

Hi,

have you tried above?

Hi, found out that turning off XMP / EXPO helps sometimes and try verify game files on steam it also helps. If nothing helps then do DDU with the internet cable disconnected.

0 Likes

hi thanks , yea i tryed xmp i dont have expo until the april sixth :), varifiing didnt help . weird thing is swaping dx api from 12 to 11 and then back to 12 can incriese the times between crashes ... but it doesnt lasts for realy long time and its, let be honnest, literaly super annoying process.

RoyDigger
Journeyman III

Hi,

have the same Problem with my 7900XT (bought directly from AMD). Did all the above and can tell that i got the same Problems running it on Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS using the newest Proton Version. On Ubuntu starts and crashes while loading. On Windows it just crashes randomly, no way to specify for what reason.

Would like to see some love for this old game although i could imagine that it's a problem caused by CDPR by sth with the latest patch

0 Likes

Its kinda bad i contacted CDPr and their response was kinda weird, they obviously thought its fixed by 4.02 update ... well its not its unplayable, in my case its even worse then before. While there actualy is not any information whats causing stability issues on navi31 in dx 12 witcher 3. Kinda sad its my favorite game of all time, i was kinda hyped to play this title on my high-end pc ,well it seems its that only game which i just cant play on it in dx12. I am at last glad CDPred leaves their own technology, unreal 5 runs just fine and even unreal 4 engine titles runs realy well on my pc. New driver seems to be realy good yet it still doesnt solves the case of stability issues in withcher..

0 Likes
Bombraker
Journeyman III

Hey, I've just bought myself a 7800 xtx and got the same crashes/freezes (same with Deep Rock Galactic) - and managed to solve it!

I'm not sure if this will solve it for you, but I disabled AMD FreeSync Premium inside AMD Adrinaline (Settings wheel -> Display -> Select your monitor(s) -> AMD FreeSync Premium -> Disabled -> Reboot).

For what it's worth, I have two monitors, one of which supports it, the other does not, so I'm guessing it's got something to do with that. That's just a guess though.

Hope this helps you as it did me. Happy gaming :fingerscrossed:

its definitively crashing less with FreeSync off thanks you, however its still crashing after some time .

aisutodesu
Adept I

i'm having the same problem, Witcher 3 DX12 every settings i tried (freesync on/off, RT on/off, FSR on/off, everything), game will still crash every few minutes, unplayable.
CPU is Ryzen 9 7900 non X

GPU is XFX RX 7900 XTX

Other games i tested so far are okay except Witcher 3 and Monster Hunter World

0 Likes
dekov
Adept II

Hi, check files integrity on steam.

Also I had to uppdate my bios, as some games were crashing because of XMP.

Sometimes DDU helps, but it made no difference for me.

0 Likes
Pajou
Journeyman III

I got a green screen on the witcher 3 

cyberpunk on ultra worked fine 

i switched from directx12 to directx11 now the witcher works fine without crashes 

6700xt

0 Likes