cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

H1deoK
Adept II

Tearing with Freesync enabled.

Hello. I have a Freesync monitor, and I already enabled Freesync in Adrenalin settings, but I can't see any difference in games. There is a lot of screen tearing, and I'm forced to enable Vsync or set it to adaptive, if the game supports it.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. With Gsync, I just turned it on in NV Control Panel, and all tearing was gone with vsync completely disabled.

6 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You still need vsync on. It caps the frame rate so it does not exceed Freesync range. 

You just need to cap the frame rate at the maximum refresh rate.

If you try to play at 100fps on a 75hz Freesync display you will get tearing.

If you exceed a displays refresh rate you get tearing. This is because the monitor cannot refresh fast enough to keep up with the frames being generated. The tearing is the monitor showing multiple frames at once resulting in segmented images. 

In my experience with both Freesync and Gsync the two technologies only eliminate issues when you are below the maximum refresh rate of your display. I have one of both types of displays and they both have tearing when my frame rate exceeds the refresh rate, using both Nvidia GPUs and Radeon GPUs. This is why high refresh rate displays are important if you want to play games that are able to be played at high frame rates. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I was wrong you do not need V sync on you just need to cap the frame rate at the maximum refresh rate.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use riva tuner to cap fps to 142  when I play apex on 144hz monitor. Just lower fps limit -1 every time until you stop to have tearing. Check Freesync range of your monitor.

H1deoK
Adept II

Thanks guys. So, I could also use the function Chill, inside Adrenalin,as I read in another topic.

H1deoK
Adept II

In the end, I had to enable Chill and Enhanced Sync. I really wonder what is the purpose of Freesync, then. It's basically same thing to have it enabled or disabled.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@H1deoKif I dont mistake, freesync should change refresh rate of your monitor to match your fps but it will work only in freesync range and that depends on your monitor.

0 Likes