cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Axxemann
Forerunner

Second Hand RX580... Adrenaline Software fails to launch, ALL games fail to launch.

Getting the pa-300 link, followed the steps, and no joy. Just upgraded to an MSI RX 580 to go with my brand spanking new Ryzen 5 5600 and it's sitting in a B550 A-Pro. 750w PSU, 16gb of ram.

I've been fighting with **bleep** thing all night. I need some help. 

I've reinstalled the software at least a dozen times, complete with a factory reset of the card, and it's still failing. At least I can still use my PC for doing stuff like this, but dammit... I WANT TO GAME!

EDIT TO ADD: Windows keeps popping a Code 43 error in device manager. I've tried uninstalling the device, uninstalling the software, reinstalling everything... same thing, over and over again.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
8 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Do you trust the seller? Was the card used in mining? If it was, there is chance that the card may have an altered bios.

Polaris cards were commonly used in crypto mining. They were very good at it. 

The Englishman
Axxemann
Forerunner

Odds are pretty good the guy used it as a miner. Card was clean, no burnt smell, but the dude clearly lied to me. I'm looking for a BIOS to flash it right now. What's the worst that can happen? I brick it completely?

EDIT TO ADD: I pulled the card after a few attempts to flash the BIOS from TechPowerup and no success. Back to my RX 570 4GB. Maybe Santa will hook me up with a 6600 XT when they're getting blown out at the stores. In the mean time, I'm going to see if MSI has a BIOS image they can send me if I provide them with the serial number of the card.

Swindlers, scalpers, Miners... YOU ALL SUCK!

Performance over Pretty.

I bought a used for mining RX 580 4GB that I got for $55 shipped right before all the GPU gouging nonsense started .. it was a great card and ran great in my daughter's setup for a couple years. I ended up selling it as part of a low end system and getting my daughter a 5700xt. 

It ran great in the lower end system too

What make/model 750wtt PSU are you running? How old is it?

I thought I was having issues with my wife's RX 550 2GB GPU with driver timeouts and what not .. I replaced her 500wtt 80 Plus (White rated) power supply with a 600wtt 80+ Gold rated PSU and all issues went away (5600x, B550m Phantom Gaming 4, 2 x 8GB 3466 DDR4)

You can use something like GPU-z and pull up specs on your card and see if it has a modified for mining

https://www.makeuseof.com/check-if-gpu-modded-for-crypto-mining/

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

It's a Thermaltake Smart 750W. 80+ Bronze, non-modular. I've had it since I built the old system on a Phenom II that served as a placeholder for a few months before I got my hands on my 8120. So since about 2013 or so. It could stand to be replaced with a fresher unit, but it's not in my budget at the moment. I do plan on swapping in a new PSU before the year is out though, the sheer number of zip-ties I needed to do a clean cable management job (not just stuff everything in willy-nilly and slap the side cover on BS) was baffling.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I'm sorry you got burned that way.

Mining normally won't stress the GPU as much as pure gaming but that is with a conscious miner. Most of them wreak havoc on the cards. But one thing you can't escape, VRAM problems, cards used in mining will have lots of VRAM problems.

Try flashing it with as new BIOS, the worst it can happen is a brick. But when you got already a brick, I guess that's not that bad.

Try putting the RX580 as secondary card with the RX570 and see if it gets identified by the system. If it does, could be a good sign, then flash it with latest BIOS.

The Englishman
0 Likes

It happens. Even the buy & sell website I used has a big "Caveat Emptor" warning in their ToS. I can report the guy until the cows come home, but it's unlikely the guy is going to face any repercussions. He sent me a photo of the card running in GPU-Z, and it did the same in mine. I just wouldn't launch games due to that Code 43 error and some DirectX stuff. I'm not gonna cry about it, because in my 40+ years on this planet, I've made some stupid mistakes with money that were WAY more expensive to recover from.

I got the 570 second hand before all the Rona stuff kicked up and it trucked along quite nicely in my FX-8120 build for the last couple of years. It was a big upgrade from the R7 250 I cooked off.. the PCB on that old girl went from red to dark brown over the years of heat cycling and is still giving me good performance after test running through the games I currently play (150 fps in Rogue Company on Ultra settings, War Thunder on Medium - High nets me about 60fps, and CS:GO is around 150fps also. Halo: Infinite is around 75fps on low all at 1080p) and I have everything capped to 72fps in Adrenaline since my monitor maxes out at that framerate. 

The 580 was essentially meant to double my VRAM and give me better overall performance, but either way you slice it, I've gotten a huge performance upgrade in the last couple of days since I finally jumped on AM4 with a Ryzen 5 5600 with 16gb of 3200 mHz DDR4 (went with G. Skill Ripjaws, I ran them in my 8120 and they performed flawlessly for years) on an MSI B550 A-Pro and retired the AM3 system to emergency backup status for the next few months. 

But on the topic of mounting both cards and giving that a whirl, should I mount the 580 in my PCIe 4.0 slot where I originally had it and my 570 is currently sitting, or slot it into my PCIe 3.0 slot further down? IIRC, the MSI B550 A-Pro has that 3.0x16 slot running at 8 lanes only. My old Asus M5A97 R2.0 had the second slot at 4 lanes, but that was all PCIe 2.0

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

Mount on the next slot, even if its PCI3.0 it wont matter. Its just to see if you can get her back somehow.

The Englishman
0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

Just an update:

I finally had some time to fart around with the card and popped it into my PCIe 3.0 slot. Ran it through GPU-Z, and the Processor and Memory were both showing 0 mHz for clock speeds. Default numbers were 1366/2000 like they were supposed to be. Still popped the Code 43 error, and of course, it still showed an image when I had a monitor plugged into the HDMI port (don't have any other monitors at present.)

When I ran my 4GB RX570 through GPU-Z, it was showing the GPU and memory clocks to be the same as the Default clocks: 1244/1750 respectively.

BIOS was correct version since I had already flashed it the last time I was trying to figure this mess out.

Anyone have any ideas? Heck, does anyone in Western Canada want to take a crack at this thing? If you have a reasonably priced two-way shipping option, I'd be willing to send it darn near anywhere for a free/low cost (I only paid $150CAD for the card) diagnosis and repair.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes