Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

neocwbbr
Adept I

Screen randomly flashing at RX 6700XT

Computer Type: Desktop
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6700 XT
CPU: RYZEN 5 5600X
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming x570 PRO (Wi-Fi)
BIOS Version: 3602
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600MHZ CL17
PSU: CORSAIR RM850x
Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO 20H2
GPU Drivers: Adrenalin Driver Version: 21.3.1
Monitor: Samsung 27" C27RG50

I bought this Asus TUF RX 6700XT last Tuesday and it seems the GPU is having issues (not sure hardware or software). I noticed multiple screen flashing or black screen for less than a second, and some times is not the entirely window though and it seems to happen when the GPU is not under load. I haven't experienced the black screen/screen flashing while gaming but mostly when browsing, working on a terminal etc

Performing tests over the weekend at the point at completely wiped my disk, replaced all the cables, tested different monitor and GPU cards (1030 2060 without issues) I found that the issue is more frequent at 144Hz (on both monitors) happening up to 3 times per minute. While running at 240Hz issues would happen twice every 10 minutes and running at 120Hz issue happening once in a while. Screen goes black and return for a second, sometimes part of the window open is blacked and images reaper after moving the mouse over or resizing the window. I played at 120Hz for about 30 minutes and didn't notice any issue.

At this reddit post I have added pictures and videos related to the issue including all the testing I did over the weekend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/mejgr1/screen_randomly_flashing_on_asus_tuf_rx_6700xt/

135 Replies
neocwbbr
Adept I

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes we all are having the same stupid issue. Its so frustrating, its been 5 months already and AMD hasn't fixed it.

Its a Known Issue on the release Notes of the driver you will se written as:

"Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games or applications when Radeon™ FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen"

If you turn Freesync off the stutter makes the game unplayable. I'm thinking of going back to Nvidia just cause of that.

It is funny I am not having major issues while playing (except for the miserable fps that mine 2060 can to better) but i get this screen flash or rainbow snow while using the Windows and mostly when I am working on my terminal session! At the point I have to minimize and maximize the screen every 5 minutes!!!

Playing overwatch I can get solid 120fps on high config (which I had hopes this vga would be able to run ultra for such an old game). Today is my last day to return this gpu and I am considering take it to the store as the performance is very disappointing and if AMD cant figure out the driver issues I am not a free tester but a consumer (btw such a high price for a 3060ti/3070 range gpu)... very very disappointing 

If I were you I'd return it. I bought mine on ebay, so I'm stuck with it. 

I don't think the will fix anything, there is no incentive to do it unfortunately due to shortage l, like GamersNexus said "literally anything will sell"

1evilman
Adept II

Mine will occasionally "blink" not long after I boot up but everything is normal afterwards and it never happens while gaming. I'm hoping it's just drivers... 

Similar specs as you.

Tuf X570-Plus wifi bios 3603

5800X

Tuf gaming 6700XT latest drivers

32gb Gskill 3200mhz 

neocwbbr
Adept I

IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH RX 6700XT, I FIX MINE replacing it by a 3070, and I strongly recommend you do the same as AMD doesn't seem to be working to fix any of the issues we are reporting. Good luck!

Mine runs great since the April 21 drivers came out. 

0 Likes

Any fix for this? I'm using Windows 11. I had this problem in Windows 10 until they fixed with new drivers and now the same problem in Windows 11.

0 Likes
MDcine
Journeyman III

In my case, my PC worked fine with RX 580 8GB

After change to new ASUS ROG STRIX RX6700XT. It's randomly blinking, all running program windows gone black, desktop gone back, and blanked taskbar with visual artifacts. In most case, it can temporary solved by minimize and maximize program windows and restart windows explorer. In worst case, It can't be solved until I log off or restarting Windows

Another issue, Windows always freeze or restart itself after waked my PC up

When gaming, It's perfectly fine except those issue. I don't know if it hardware or driver issue.

*My system: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS ROG STRIX RX6700XT, Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI with latest BIOS, 16GB (8x2) Hyper X 3200MHz, COOLERMASTER MASTERWATT 750, Windows 10 Pro 21H1, Adrenalin Driver 21.6.1, LG 27GL850

20210726_173537.jpg20210625_062927.jpg

I have the same issue with my asus rx 6700 xt dual.

my system: asus z370 prime-a, 8600k, 16gb 3200 gskill, 550 seasonic prime ultra gold

Driver 21.7.2

win 10 21h1

monitor: Samsung c27hg70

0 Likes

Exactly the same problem here with brand new Asus TUF 6700XT, relieved that seems to be a software issue.

Gigabyte Z370N-WiFi

i5 8600k

win 10 21h1

Monitor: Gigabyte G34WQC via DisplayPort

Drivers 21.6.1

0 Likes

Have you contacted amd via their bug report tool?

0 Likes

I have MSI RX6600XT, it's doing the same thing. It's got to be a driver problem.

0 Likes

Try performance power plan.

0 Likes

performance power plan not helps to resolve the issue

0 Likes

Yeah, it works a little better for me, but it still happens.

0 Likes

Hi guys, 

try to install uwp beta driver from win 11, looks like works better, I have no a lot of time to testing it but at first look it’s good.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-radeon-software-uwp.437511/

0 Likes

Mine runs great since the April 21 drivers came out. 

0 Likes

Hi guys,

i think i fixed this **bleep** issue in my 4k Monitor.

I turn on the super resolution in AMD Radeon and then choose the 5k with 200% scale in Window 11 and the flickering is gone now. Give it a try and let me know if it work.

0 Likes

I have fixed my problem.  I have made RMA and new card is rock stable,  it scores 0.0200points less but its not artifacting,  memory  overclocks the same,  but core clock cannot go past 2650 and be stable in all games and in driver desktop....  Old one did 2800 stable in games but flicker artifact in desktop it did also the same at stock speed... Oh well at least it runs at advertised clocks.  Oh and first gpu was from the first batch and this one is obviously not.

Asus  fixed whatever was leaking in the pbc..  

0 Likes

So the only solution here is nothing else but get a new one, it's very disappointed for me, thought it was because of driver or window. 

0 Likes

Yep, no solution but to go NVIDIA. I got an MSI RTX 3090. First NVIDIA I have owned since GTX 660ti.

EXACT same issue with an ASUS 6700XT TUF OC / Ryzen 5600X / ASUS PRIME B550 A-WIFI MB

I tried everything said in this thread, nothing really helps. Turning on the OSD (Ctrl+Shift+O) seems to improve the situation (but still happening a little bit).

Has anyone got any update on this issue? Are we the unlucky who got our cards from a faulty GPU batch? Is there any hope this problem can have a software based fix??

Seriously considering to RMA it for an NVIDIA 3060 Ti/3070!

0 Likes

How did you check if the card is from "first batch"?

0 Likes

Hi 

I didn't know how to check that.

The shop where i bought it, has sendt it to ASUS Holland, for repair

0 Likes

Yo,

Bit of on update on my end, I've only ensured all windows/radeon software it up to date, at all times. Issue seemed to fix itself.

Sometimes flashes once in a blue moon, but was practically unusable when i first purchased the card. Touch wood, seems 90% fixed.

Good luck fellas

0 Likes
pauljac
Adept I

Same problem on the RX6600XT. I don't get issues in games (BF5 runs fine), but at the regular desktop, where sometimes the entire screen will flicker, but usually it's a windowed program (even simple one like Notepad) will flash black\ white. Usually it is just a single window that flashes, not the whole screen. Very random, very quick.

Have tried different drivers (currently 21.8.2), Freesync off\ on, reset card. Win10 is 100% up-to-date.

RX6600XT
Win10 21H1
i7-6700K@4.5Ghz
16G Ram
1000W PSU
Samsung CFG70 C24F770 Displayport

0 Likes
Nemanja
Adept II

Any luck guys, I too managed to get asus tuf 6700xt and I am getting the exact same issues as you guys, I just hope it is software related, maybe asus needs to drop another bios.

Have you guys tried setting power plan to performance?

0 Likes

I have, also tried both BIOS in my card. I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with my freesync monitor's minimum refresh rate. It's a Gigabyte G34WQC

0 Likes

I am not sure about that, have you tried performance power plan, I have been using it for around 8h for now and haven't encountered these issues, you should try it too. I will update you soon.

0 Likes
presidentleia
Journeyman III

Been having this exact same issue since I got the card, TUF 32 GB 6700XT..

I thought running triple monitors was the issue, but nope.

Any word on a fix yet? This is super crappy.

0 Likes

Amd has not announced anything yet.

0 Likes

This driver available only via windows update for w11 insiders channel. It works much better, instead black flashing and black squares on windows there are only few black artifacts.

0 Likes

I'm defo getting less flashing now I've turned the FPS 'Chill' option off (on by default). Not cured, just better.

0 Likes

Hey troops,

I've been trying to fix this issue for over 2 weeks now, I'm actually relieved I've found others having the same issue tbh..

I have an ASUS 6700XT - Exact same issue.

I actually purchased this pre-built brand new less then 2 weeks ago. Do we have no choice but to wait for AMD, or shall i try contact retailer/manufacturer?

0 Likes

uwp driver that i posted above totaly resolve the issue for me, no any black screen flashing and black windows, only minor issue left - some times in case with black windows/screens i have a few little artifacts on windows but they imidiatly disappears

0 Likes

So it is a software related issue?

0 Likes

Looks like it’s a software issue. I already do rma my asus rx 6700 xt about 4 months , new card that I took after rma have same issue. Only beta uwp driver helps me to resolve issue, hopes it will release soon to production 

0 Likes