Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dekov
Adept II

RX 7900 XT crashing at god of war

Hi,

I recently bought RX 7900 XT and i have some issues with it.

1st issue is crashing game god of war. Playing it on ultra and it keeps randomly crashing, sometimes after 1 hour of gaming, sometimes after 2 minutes. Locking FPS to 60 helped a bit, because it is crashing less. Other games don´t crash.

Settings: Ultra, 2k monitor 165 hz.

2nd issue is high power draw when idle. Card draws 100W when idle. Is this issue going to be resolved in next driver uppdate? If not it will be cheaper for me to buy RTX 4080 in long term, because i use my pc mainly for working (emails etc.) so 100W power draw can be expensive.

3rd issue is coil whine at cs:go and teleporting in league of legends at high FPS, but that is not that big of a deal.

PC: 3 monitor 165 HZ, 1440p

Win 11, rebar on

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT GAMING 20G

Intel Core i7-13700K

G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Trident Z5 RGB Black

Fractal Design Torrent Compact Black TG Dark

ASUS PRIME Z790-P

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Corsair RM850 White (2021)

thank you
1 Solution

You need to do the basics with DDU.

Download DDU: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.5.9 (guru3d.com), Download your GPU + chipset + networking + sound drivers from your Motherboard's Support Page (example: Motherboard Support), Copy them to a Thumbdrive so you have access to them in the future.

Unplug the internet and follow the instructions for DDU.

After complete, reinstall all drivers one by one, start with Graphics. *do not plug the internet back in until you've reinstalled all of the drivers*

When they're all re-installed, restart the PC, run Windows Update, restart the pc again.

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Zeltor
Adept II

Is the GPU connected with 1 power cable that has a split or 2 seperate power cables coming from the PSU.

In my case that fixed my stuttering/crashing issues.

Idle draw at this point is indeed high on all the new models and I hope they'll fix it with drivers yeah.

0 Likes

Hi,

GPU is connected by 2x 8 pin separate cables from PSU. Tried reconecting it 3 times also tried changing cables, but game still crashes after 1 hour of gameplay. Other games work fine (Kingdom come deliverance, AC: Odyssey) all work fine without crashing. Only the game crashes, windows work fine after crashing.

0 Likes

I made an account on here just to reply to your comment and thank you.  I'd tried everything i could think of and after a lot of pain my system seems to have stabilized after swapped from one cable with two ends to 2 separate PSU cables.  A thousand times thank you.

0 Likes
Reviktus
Journeyman III

I'm also getting crashes in God of War. Was working fine on my old GTX 1070 until I just upgraded to 7900 XTX, then crashing at random. I've crashed 3 times in the last few hours of playing.

7900 XTX (Reference from AMD.com)

5900X

ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus

Win 10 with Rebar on

64GB DDR4 Ripjaws 3600 RAM

SuperFlower Leadex 1200W platinum

0 Likes
dekov
Adept II

Uppdate 21.12.

Tested other games for more than hour each and it seems like other games crash too. Only game not crashing so far is minecraft.

Tested games:

The witcher 3 (ver 4.0) crashed after 10 minutes.

Kingdome come: deliverance same as god of war, also same style of crash. Crashing randomly.

Portal with RTX not crashing but terrible performance and also graphics is very buggy with artifacts.

Definitely will return this graphics card, for 900 USD I want it to be able to run games, not crash every hour and lose all unsaved progress.
0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

I'd recommend reinstalling Adrenaline with a Factory Reset, Minimal Install, *DO NOT* choose a profile when prompted to do so.

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes

As far as the Artifacts go, I've seen some on my end as well playing Minecraft, very likely a driver issue if last generation is anything to go by

0 Likes

Tried exactly as you said, uninstalled drivers, installed newest driver, factory reset, minimal install.

It didn´t help now sometimes the whole pc crashes. After playing 10 minutes of god of war, whole PC suddenly shut down and restarted and after that 30 minutes into game and game crashed.

This seems like intel did these drivers.

0 Likes

You need to do the basics with DDU.

Download DDU: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.5.9 (guru3d.com), Download your GPU + chipset + networking + sound drivers from your Motherboard's Support Page (example: Motherboard Support), Copy them to a Thumbdrive so you have access to them in the future.

Unplug the internet and follow the instructions for DDU.

After complete, reinstall all drivers one by one, start with Graphics. *do not plug the internet back in until you've reinstalled all of the drivers*

When they're all re-installed, restart the PC, run Windows Update, restart the pc again.

What is most likely happening is a driver conflict between your Intel iGPU, your old GPU, and the new GPU. I remember Benchmark Boy on YouTube talking about having issues with his iGPU and having to stop using it to use his 7900xtx during a livestream

0 Likes

Will try this and let you know if it helped.

I had Nvidia GTX 960 2 GB before this.

0 Likes

Played god of war for 3 hours after trying your solution and no crash so far. I will test other games tommorow. For now it seems to be working. I will give update if it helped in all games.

So i returned this card today and bought it again. Games are again crashing like before :/. Bought same model from saphire.

0 Likes

well then

rinse and repeat?

might want to check your drivers and bios for updates as well

0 Likes

This time it did not help, games are crashing even more than on old RX 7900 XT

0 Likes
dekov
Adept II

So far I didn´t have time to test other games, but I found other issues.

1st issue: Sometimes (every second boot), computer starts without drivers and I have to restart it 2-3 times for drivers to load.

2nd issue: Screen suddenly goes black for 2 seconds

3rd issue: After turning off all monitors java apps (minecraft server and minecraft) will crash. Also after switching in windows to 1 monitor java also crashes. (Wouldn't have to do this if AMD fixed issue with high power draw in idle)

All above problems were not present on GTX 960 2 GB so it has to be problem with drivers / AMD graphics.

0 Likes
MikeySCT
Challenger

Didcha check the max GPU and hortspot temp, sounds like the card may be overheating if it crashes after playing a game for a while. Even IF you had just gotten another RX 7900 XT, do the same as if you're swapping a new card, that is, run DDU again. Please use the latest driver, that is, Adrenalin 22.12.2

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes

Will try doing DDU, I thought that after getting same card it won´t be necessary. Max temperature is 100°C when overclocking. When stock max temperature reaches 81°C junction, 70°C card. Power draw when stock is 290-315 W I have latest drivers after doing DDU last week on same card (same pc).

0 Likes

could you solve the problem?

0 Likes
gala-actual
Adept I

Sharing the high power draw, and it is simply a driver issue only for the fact you use an additional display. I have 32"1440p ultra wide 100hz as my main and idle draw is 18w, but when I add my 7" 1080p 60hz, idle draw goes to 102w. For some reason the Vram clock pegs at 100% when two or more displays are connected, instead of downclocking to 74mhz.  hoping an easy fix in the software soon.

0 Likes
dekov
Adept II

Hi, 

found out that turning off XMP / EXPO helps sometimes and try verify game files on steam it also helps.

If nothing helps then do DDU with the internet cable disconnected.

0 Likes