cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DaggerDioxin
Journeyman III

RX 6500 xt and VR

So I got a Quest 2 headset and was pretty much unable to play VR. The only thing that was in question at the time was my GPU (GTX 750), so i went ahead and got the RX 6500 xt. Now steam VR wont even recognize the headset and when it does it crashes and all i get inside the headset is a black screen. Now i get mixed signals, According to AMD the 6500 can run VR, according to Oculus...I mean "Meta" its possible. Also prior my CPU wasn't in question as it did not come up as a issue. Granted I know i should upgrade the CPU "Ryzen 3" but i just don't have the money hence why I got the 6500 to begin with, $300 for the headset, almost that for the 6500. I didn't get the Quest to make it a HUGE investment, I don't even wanna play HARDCORE competitive games on it, i mostly needed it to help with some 3d/VR modeling/editing. So.... Am i finally gonna get a new CPU only to find something else is jacked that was fine before? 

Sorry, i just needed to rant lol

0 Likes
8 Replies
ProfessionalGamer0
Journeyman III

The 6500XT is likely to blame, Due to the lack of a Hardware encoder it might not be able to send data to your Quest 2.

This is due to how the Quest 2 Receives data, The GPU encodes data and has it sent to the Quest 2 where it's decoded.

This is also why you may notice some latency in games when using a Link Cable as the Quest 2 doesn't support Thunderbolt.

0 Likes
DinoRuke
Journeyman III

Your 6500 is your problem. It doesn't have an encoder to put video onto the Quest 2 or any other VR headset sadly. Unless you can buy a new GPU, the only solution is to use a Quest 2 app called Virtual Desktop. Its wireless so you will need ethernet to use it well, but I use Virtual Desktop with my RX 6500 XT and it works fine. A few lag spikes every now and then might be a slight problem but other than that it works like normal Oculus Link for me.

0 Likes

I'm trying to use virtual desktop, but the performances are terrifying, cpu always goes at 100% (ryzen 3 3200) and gpu stays at 30/40% max. SteamVR Performance Test says that everything is perfectly compatible, beyond the minimum requirements, and during the benchmark the cpu and the gpu behave normally (20% cpu, 100% gpu). I know it's a card problem due to lack of video encoder, but is there any way to improve its performance a bit? I don't want to change card already

0 Likes
MarikoJoyYT
Journeyman III

i have found a workaround to allow the 6500 xt to play games via steam and desktop with the quest 2, there is a few ways 1 is to use alvr and sidequest that will allow steam vr to be used, the other is to use virtual desktop app and program on the quest 2 anmd pc you can then load games direct from quest 2 for the desktop. hope this helps

0 Likes
Nolan01420
Adept I

I use nimez for my Rx 6500xt and oculus rift. Works good, when the video card isn't rejecting the drivers. 

It took a little while to get Nimez to work on my xfx qick 210 (Rx 6500xt). It worked great for a while, today it started cutting signal. I found the drivers were just gone. So idk, you might not want to, but it does work, for how long? Who knows. Lol.

0 Likes

If you have a prob with 3rd party modded drivers, don't comment on this forum.

Guess we will have to consider any post from you is in relation to modded drivers (and probably worthless), don't expect help.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Wow, harsh words. I appreciate it though. I hate the fact I have to use third party drivers for vr. Amds oem drivers do not work for vr on an Rx 6500 xt. Gotta do what I gotta do.  Thank you.

0 Likes

I figured my problem out! I needed a higher capacity psu. Went from a cooler master pos 500 watt (supposedly) to a evga 750bp psu (80plus bronze).. The difference is night and day, even with my old pcie gen 2. I just needed more powerrrr! Lol 

0 Likes