cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DaBirdMan
Adept I

RX 580 issues- "Driver Timeout" since 21.20

Been having issues with a RX 580 card and/ or it's drivers ever since playing the Battlefield 2042 beta week. 

Computer went just above the minimum specs to play BF, seemed to run fine after updating to the 21.20 driver BF required (though I had to install it manually through the AMD site- Windows Update wasn't recognizing the need to update drivers for some reason). But after putting three hours into the beta, uninstalling it and moving on to other games, it's been doing this  "checkerboard" glitch where the screen freezes on a checkerboard pattern, usually half red or blue and other half whatever was on screen at time of crash, cuts to black for a few seconds, and resumes with a popup about driver timeouts. (If I get the chance, I'll take a photo and update this accordingly.)

This occurs most often when playing video games or using a 3D Lego design program, but can also occur when just watching videos on YouTube. Rolling back drivers seems to have made no discernable change, and there is no predictable timing for it. Tried using the AMD program to monitor the specs of the card, but the program seemed to crash the same time as the driver.

What are my options? Is there anything else I can do on my end to test if the issue is software based? If it is a hardware issue, does the CPU have some basic integrated graphics I can run for non-gaming stuff until GPU prices become affordable for the working class again?

Specs (can supply more info upon request):

-Desktop: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690 (three years old, bought from Best Buy, only hardware change was switching a 128 C: for a 240)

-CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 

-GPU: Radeon RX 580

-RAM: 16 GB

1 Solution
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @DaBirdMan 

This is most likely related to the driver, still seldom happens to me, and the checkerboard thing.

It was mostly fixed in 21.10.2, but still happens every now and then with our GPUs and older.

That Ryzen 2700 does not have integrated graphics, something like a ryzen 3400G or 2400G has, but will likely still cause driver crashes.

Hopefully it will be ironed out. I don't think these vendors have a problem with current crazy prices, since a lot of people are buying them anyways for some reason, and I have a suspicion they are enjoying this.

It cannot become the new prices, since then the rest of us are in for an even worse time.

Kind regards

View solution in original post

12 Replies
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @DaBirdMan 

This is most likely related to the driver, still seldom happens to me, and the checkerboard thing.

It was mostly fixed in 21.10.2, but still happens every now and then with our GPUs and older.

That Ryzen 2700 does not have integrated graphics, something like a ryzen 3400G or 2400G has, but will likely still cause driver crashes.

Hopefully it will be ironed out. I don't think these vendors have a problem with current crazy prices, since a lot of people are buying them anyways for some reason, and I have a suspicion they are enjoying this.

It cannot become the new prices, since then the rest of us are in for an even worse time.

Kind regards

Just updated to the latest driver from 10/25. If anything, it's increased in occurence.

Gonna roll back to the last update I remember working as intended, some time in June.

If that fails, then I foresee a lot more gaming time with my PS4 in my future.

Thanks for the advice on drivers but no luck on my end. Rolled back to the basic Microsoft driver, still had glitch issues.

I think my issue is definitely hardware based.

0 Likes

Hi @DaBirdMan 

I usually quickly update to an official Radeon Driver, since the Microsoft driver is not capable of running most 3D Applications; therefore, I have not tested how stable the basic Microsoft driver is.

What I can tell you is that this issue occurs with pre-Vega Radeon cards and Ryzen CPUs and likely with Windows 10. Do you have a non-Ryzen system around as backup which you can test your RX 580 on?

I did not seem to experience this issue on my FX 8350, but I do with my Ryzen 5 1600. I am considering to use my FX 8350 for a while, because these driver crashes are frustrating, it seems to be happening more again on 21.10.3, but was more stable on 21.10.2.

Kind regards

0 Likes

No backup system to plug my card into. Current driver is rolled back to 27.20.15002.10002 (Apr 14 of this year. Haven't used the computer much the past few days, no can't say if symptoms are still occurring.

One thing to note: Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic tool on Friday, no red flags spotted there, think that rule out RAM as an issue.

Ok let us know how things go, I have gone through the effort of moving my FX 8350 back into my system.

No drivers crashes, definitely related to combination of Windows 10/GCN Card/Ryzen CPU_Mobo.

0 Likes

Hello again.

Updated to the 10/25 driver again to see if anything changed, updated Windows to the latest updates possible, driver timeout and checkerboard issue occurred not three minutes after finishing installation.

I can't think of anything software-wise left to try, unless there's something I can monkey around with in the Radeon software app settings. Might do a full reset of the PC (including personal files) just to see if it does anything.

EDIT: At this point, I'm certain the issue is the hardware end. Think I might buy a cheap graphics card from Best Buy to confirm. 

I would not do a full reset of the PC, it is very likely either a driver bug or a temperature issue.

I can't remember if I asked this, but how are your temperatures while gaming on the RX 580 and does the clock-speeds stay stable while doing intense gaming?

Kind regards

0 Likes

Most games I have installed right now are >5 years old and not particularly graphics intense (Garry's Mod, Pinball FX3, Left 4 Dead, etc), and the graphics driver crashes on those within a few minutes of opening if that. The newest game I had installed was the Battlefield 2042 beta, but there was no issues until after I played about three hours of it. As such, I don't think current usage is playing a huge factor. Hell, I just had a graphics crash when verifying I wasn't a robot to post this message, and the only things open were Steam, Chrome and the email .

I have tried to get a temp reading from the Radeon software before, but when the driver crashes, the Radeon software goes down as well. Come to think of it, just have the Radeon software open tends to crash the drivers.

0 Likes

Hi @DaBirdMan 

You can use MSI Afterburner to monitor the temperatures, clock-speeds, utilization, etc. with RivaTunerStatisticsServer (comes bundles with MSI Afterburner).

I would still suggest to test in a much older system that still used DDR3 RAM, such as an FX 8350 or Intel i7 3770/i5 3570, etc. If you have a friend that can help you, since I have no crashes after I moved my FX 8350 system back in my PC Case.

If you still experience crashes on such a system, then there might be a thermal issue.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Hello again! Quick update.

A couple weeks back, I installed a driver from October, but just the driver only, so no Radeon Software to go along with it. Since then, computer's been running good for the past week, no further driver crashes. Tried out a variety of games with varying degrees of hardware demands, and all has worked as intended. Don't know for sure if the Radeon program was not working with something, or if a Windows update solved an issue, but either case, looks like I'm back in business.

Hey 

ive been facing the exact same issue, i would like to what drivers you installed that fixed it

0 Likes