cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

okdotes
Journeyman III

RX 5700XT crash at start of games 1 time per day

After upgrading from an Rx570 to an Rx 5700 XT, my PC randomly crashes with a black screen and buzzing sound through my headphones, which then causes the PC to restart. I know that it's not an overheating problem, because problem usually only happens in the first 10 minutes of playing a game, and once it happens, it doesn't happen again for the rest of the day. This includes playing the same game that it crashes on or running stress tests like Heaven. This has made troubleshooting incredibly difficult since any "fix" I find seems to work perfectly until the next day, or few days later.

I've tried uninstalling + reinstalling drivers and any other software fixes that I can find online. I also bought a new power supply (850W Gold Seasonic) and upped my Ram + bought a new cpu. The only PC component I haven't changed since getting the new GPU is my motherboard (MSI x370 Gaming Plus).

I was able to get the GPU right before all the prices went up so I've been dreading the issue being hardware related to the GPU, since if it is, I'm going to just live with the issue rather than spend 3x the price.

1 Solution
okdotes
Journeyman III

Ending up finding a reddit post with the exact same issue. There's a few dozen suggestions here on what to do, most I had already tried but it seems like fixing Windows files is what fixed it for me. It found a few corrupted ones and I have yet to have a crash like before in about a week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/pe9rf2/this_happens_randomly_during_any_game_i_play/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
bampi
Adept II

What's the brand/model of your 5700xt?

My solution to mine is by undervolting and underclocking using the amd software -> performance -> tuning

Google your card's clocks and set them.

In my case, i set 1905 Mhz as the max boost as per gigabyte's specs. the default boosts to 2080 Mhz which i believe causes my crashes. As per the voltage, try to set somewhere between 1000 and 1100 mV. 

bampi_0-1630657556137.png

okdotes
Journeyman III

Ending up finding a reddit post with the exact same issue. There's a few dozen suggestions here on what to do, most I had already tried but it seems like fixing Windows files is what fixed it for me. It found a few corrupted ones and I have yet to have a crash like before in about a week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/pe9rf2/this_happens_randomly_during_any_game_i_play/

0 Likes