cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DannyDan
Adept I

My Radeon R9 390 stopped working

I've been using a Radeon R9 390 that I recently bought off of someone who couldn't use it, and after inspecting it to make sure all was fine I started using it to have a dual monitor setup, however after about a week while I was playing Minecraft my screen started to glitch for a second and then the display turned black with no signal, I did use MSI afterburner and after thinking about overclocking I put everything back to default. Is there a fix for this and did I accidentally break my card?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Try what I posted earlier, also as electronics age they can behave that way, the 390 came out in 2015, so they are getting some age, they should still work for quite a while if properly cared for. Look at the card and see if there are any moved or missing components, carefully blow some compressed air to clean it of dust while holding the fan so it doesn't rev faster than it was meant to and damage the fan (yes you can damage a fan if you blow air on it and it goes too fast). Also make sure Windows isn't putting a driver on there, you can set windows to not update the driver, search the internet for how you can do that. Other than that you will have to isolate the problem, and it can be a real sleuth case for Sherlock Holmes sometimes. Good luck!

Also it is possible the thermal paste or pads have gotten old, you can replace them but I would want to be above a novice to try it because if you do not do the job right the card can be damaged beyond repair, so watch videos and I take no responsibility for damage if you do attempt it. If you do it, make sure the pads are the exactly the same thickness as the previous ones.  There are also problems with the VRMs getting too hot or burning out on some cards. I hope your problem is only minor. Always check in your BIOS too to make sure you don't have a bad setting for PCIe. There are a lot of troubleshooting that you can search all over the internet. I hope you can get it fixed!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
amdman
Challenger

Please post your PC specifications. Make sure your power supply is at or above the recommendation from the card manufacturer.

Try uninstalling the drivers with DDU if you haven't, make sure in MSI Afterburner you haven't changed the fan behavior, or just uninstall MSI Afterburner while you try to get the card working. Try the card in another PC if you have one available, to try to isolate the problem. Try something like Heaven benchmark to stress the card but not too much stress. I never run Furmark, I think it's too demanding, no card needs to be stressed that hard in my opinion. Try to get it working with one monitor then add the second, try older drivers, etc. Good luck!

0 Likes

Try what I posted earlier, also as electronics age they can behave that way, the 390 came out in 2015, so they are getting some age, they should still work for quite a while if properly cared for. Look at the card and see if there are any moved or missing components, carefully blow some compressed air to clean it of dust while holding the fan so it doesn't rev faster than it was meant to and damage the fan (yes you can damage a fan if you blow air on it and it goes too fast). Also make sure Windows isn't putting a driver on there, you can set windows to not update the driver, search the internet for how you can do that. Other than that you will have to isolate the problem, and it can be a real sleuth case for Sherlock Holmes sometimes. Good luck!

Also it is possible the thermal paste or pads have gotten old, you can replace them but I would want to be above a novice to try it because if you do not do the job right the card can be damaged beyond repair, so watch videos and I take no responsibility for damage if you do attempt it. If you do it, make sure the pads are the exactly the same thickness as the previous ones.  There are also problems with the VRMs getting too hot or burning out on some cards. I hope your problem is only minor. Always check in your BIOS too to make sure you don't have a bad setting for PCIe. There are a lot of troubleshooting that you can search all over the internet. I hope you can get it fixed!

0 Likes

I reset my BIOS by taking out my CMOS battery since it displayed no image and I actually got everything working, so I'm assuming it was a BIOS problem with something that I might've changed, and thank you!

0 Likes

It's a good feeling when it boots back up, glad you got it sorted!

0 Likes

Yeah man, me too!

0 Likes

Hello, 

I know this post is a bit old, but could a no image error on this (Asus AMD Radeon R9 390 Stix) graphics card happen, if the thermal paste is too old? I hope I get an answer here. 

0 Likes