cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

LeChuck99
Adept I

Meta Quest 2 with RX 6950 XT how? (Link connection dont work)

Hi,

i have the 6950 xt, upgraded from am 5700 xt because of issues with the USB Link connection. Most of the time, i had to stuck with a year old driver, but windows removed it  ever few weeks. I thought, with a newer card the problem would be solved, bc i read in the notes, that Issues with Quest 2 are solved.

Now, i cant connect with link via USB and non of the drivers are working with the quest.

When becomes this issue solved? I already regret not switching to nvidia.

0 Likes
1 Solution
LeChuck99
Adept I

I Solved it!

I started in the CMD the Vulkaninfo, and fixed the errors by hand in the registry. Deleted everything what pointed to orphan links etc. Also deinstalled all the Vulkan instances in the x86 direrctory what was related to Vulkan. After that, i started once more an adrenaline reinstallation but only the repair choice.

Then i had started the oculus repair tool, which download and reinstall the oculus app. (around 5 gig)

Now its working fine with adreanlanine 22.11.1

No flickering, Link Cable works, everthing fine.

It seems, that there was vulkan completly messed up and the fresh install routines dont clean the registry up etc.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

At least with Oculues Quest 2 you needed to buy a fast enough USB cable in order it to work at all. What was most surprising (and what I fought quite a while with until learning this) that the short cable that comes with the headset is not fast enough to work at any other task than charging the headset! I mean a short cable should be cheap and easy to be made fast enough, but no!

And no, just any cable from your local store will not do. It has to be good enough and still you might have to connect straight to motherboard connectors instead of those in front of PC case.

If I remember correctly, you also need to install some Metaverse/Facebook spyware to your computer. I just ended up using the head set wirelessly  without connecting it to computer. Next time if I'm still interested, I'll get a headset by a brand whose privacy practices dont' bother me as much, like maybe Valve Index if they release some 2.0 version some day.

0 Likes

Nopen not quite.

First, i have a two link cable since the quest 1. Both are working. Also can i do successfull the Oculus connection test with enough bandwith. Had never issues with the cable or bandwith. The short usb cable is only an usb 2 for charging. But for 30€/$ you can buy a 5 m usb 3.1 cable. I can play the whole night, without to need a stop for recharge. You have only to deactivate the wireless. Its also better against cancer. lol

You dont have to buy the original Quest cable, you can also use third party, but you need the right one. But thats not the problem. The problem is the AMD driver.

It worked until they get problems with it and cant fix the issue. With the 5700 xt, is the last working  driver the Pro Q3/21 driver. All other drivers dont work and you get a message from the oculus Software that there is a driver issue.

Now i have the 6950 XT and the Q3/21 Driver is not made for the 6950, so you cant install it. But even if i could, there was this year so many major fixes, that i dont would use a year old driver. Actually, there is no one driver that works with the quest 2.  Rather, Meta has blacklisted AMD and now,  there no more the Driver Isse info text, instead of it, you can read, that the Card is not compatible. i mean, **bleep**.

i agree with you, that the Meta spyware is not that what i want and i think my next headset will be a Pimax or something new, outside of Meta. I dont play wireless stand alone games, because, those are like cell phone games or simple family games etc.

But at the moment, i have the Quest 2, and now the latest card from AMD what you can purchase, and i cant use it with VR. Sure, with Virtual Desktop, but as i said, i dont want Wifi on my head. Thats why i am searching for solutions, workarounds or hope from AMD.

0 Likes

Rather, Meta has blacklisted AMD

Well, if this is what happened, then i doubt you have chance except using old driver. Meta likely have proprietary data protocol, and without specific driver you won't be able to work with it. And as AMD will be unable to put this driver in new releases.
On Meta site though they say RX 6000 is supported but they don't guarantee compatability? And that "Air Link is performing poorly after upgrading to the latest AMD drivers.

We're aware of possible issues that can occur with the latest AMD driver update. If Air Link worked for you previously, rolling back the driver to a previous version will work as a quick fix while a more permanent solution is being worked on."

Sadly i won't be able to actually provide much help to you, as there are several reasons for this. First one is that I live in country, where Facebook (and Meta respectively, i suppose) is banned for spreading hostile information (and propaganda). Second, i don't own Oculus, nor can afford to buy it. 

0 Likes

"The short usb cable is only an usb 2 for charging."

This cable is the one I was talking about. I would have simply wanted to test using the cable, but they had to save some cents and chose a cable not cabable of running the headset.

0 Likes
LeChuck99
Adept I

I Solved it!

I started in the CMD the Vulkaninfo, and fixed the errors by hand in the registry. Deleted everything what pointed to orphan links etc. Also deinstalled all the Vulkan instances in the x86 direrctory what was related to Vulkan. After that, i started once more an adrenaline reinstallation but only the repair choice.

Then i had started the oculus repair tool, which download and reinstall the oculus app. (around 5 gig)

Now its working fine with adreanlanine 22.11.1

No flickering, Link Cable works, everthing fine.

It seems, that there was vulkan completly messed up and the fresh install routines dont clean the registry up etc.

Hi,

I have the same probleme and same GPU, 6950 XT. I have a message in Oculus software, ''your computer is not compatible with the news specification....

In game , it works with cable link but have some small stuttering.

What do you mean by Deleted everything what pointed to orphan links etc?

After you solved it, do you still have the message in oculus software?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes