cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Low GPU usage on a new 6900 xt

Hi - just entered the world of AMD GPU's - switching from Nvidia to AMD. Bought a new MSI 6900 xt gaming z trio - the one with the XTXH GPU. Tried the best I could to wipe out all Nvidia drivers etc. Now - when I run Timespy and port royale - I have 99 % GPU usage and it flies, but when entering games like Battlefield 5 or the new one Battlefield 2042 - I have GPU usage of around 75-85 % ?? v-sync off, all ultra.

Why not 99-100 % GPU usage ? Does the game still think I have Nvidia card installed ?

Next one - junction temperature. When running Time spy or port royale and 99% GPU usage I have around 67 degrees on GPU but around 105 degrees on the junction - and often hit 110 - that sounds very high. I know that I come from a Nvidia card - and here I could only get the card temp and not junction temps - but should I worry here ?

As a note - junction temp is very fast down to 80 degrees - and it goes up and down very easy. 

I've read that MSI did a bad design choice here. MSI say - if card does not crash - no problem !

Hope some here can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi

cpu: AMD 3800 x

prev. gpu: asus rog strix gtx 1080 oc

but think I found some of the solution. I have a g-sync monitor and in Radeon driver it also says that my monitor is not compatible with Freesync and is disabled in the global monitor settings. But when I go to game tab and click on my game in the list to tweak things - (left is game tweak / gpu tweaks and right is monitor) I have at the top AMD Freesync setting - set as AMD optimized ! When I changed this to off my BF 5 then went from 75 ish fps to 160-170 ish fps - all ultra and 1440p !

Haven't tested on BF 2042 but guess that this is the same. Thought that g-sync and Free-sync did not matter that you could use both on whatever monitor but that is not the case.

So I think that first part is solved. The junction temp - I do not know what is normal - just think that diff. from gpu temp of 67-70 degrees to 100-105 degrees is quite a difference !

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

What CPU are you using?

Was the GPU you had previously weaker than the 6900 XT? If so, that would explain the lower GPU utilisation.

Those games are very heavy on the CPU side and even users with the fastest CPUs see lower GPU utilisation in those titles when paired with a powerful GPU such as the 6900 XT.
0 Likes

Hi

cpu: AMD 3800 x

prev. gpu: asus rog strix gtx 1080 oc

but think I found some of the solution. I have a g-sync monitor and in Radeon driver it also says that my monitor is not compatible with Freesync and is disabled in the global monitor settings. But when I go to game tab and click on my game in the list to tweak things - (left is game tweak / gpu tweaks and right is monitor) I have at the top AMD Freesync setting - set as AMD optimized ! When I changed this to off my BF 5 then went from 75 ish fps to 160-170 ish fps - all ultra and 1440p !

Haven't tested on BF 2042 but guess that this is the same. Thought that g-sync and Free-sync did not matter that you could use both on whatever monitor but that is not the case.

So I think that first part is solved. The junction temp - I do not know what is normal - just think that diff. from gpu temp of 67-70 degrees to 100-105 degrees is quite a difference !

That's a normal and safe temperature.
You however can try to increase fan speed or decrease the power limit in Radeon Software > GPU Tuning menu and this will reduce the junction temperature.
dynamike
Journeyman III

Hey OP wondering if the solution worked for you eventually? Also on BF2042 or BF5, when you were on your Nvidia card, was the usage even worse? I'm rocking a 3080 and getting 50-60% usage..., wondering if i should switch to AMD. Great if you could shed some light on this based on your experience!

0 Likes

When swapping out cards and going from nVidia to AMD, or vice versa, it is best to ckear your system of all traces of previous driver before swapping cards. It is best to run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in 'Safe Mode' first, power off, swap out cards, power up with the new card and run the AMD driver installer. 

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes

Hi

since then many things changed - I sent the MSI back - junction temp got up to 110 degrees - max limit and then throttle down. Went for Asus TUF 6900 and now junction temp max 88. G-sync monitor now replaced with Gigabyte 32fiq-x - freesync prem. pro. So now that things talk perfectly with eachother - I have 0 stutter, 0 fps drops - everything runs smooth as I have never experienced it before. In BF5 I hit 165 fps all ultra with dx12 and around 200 with dx11 and future frame on.

On BF2042 - lot of problems was in game - but now I have around 100-110 fps - all ultra and around 130 if I go a notch down to high. But fluid gameplay for sure !

So I would say that all my problems are gone now.

Would I buy AMD again - yes for sure - both CPU and GPU and very much looking forward to autum news

0 Likes