cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jtpro02
Journeyman III

Is a 35°C difference between "Current" and "Junction" temperatures normal?

In the AMD Adrenalin software there are two GPU temps Current and Junction. From what I can tell Junction is a hotspot temp. When running my GPU at 100% in a stress test I was able to get the Junction temp to 112C before I closed the stress test in fear that going above 110C could cause damage. But my "Current" temperature was around 80C. This 30C difference seemed like an issue to me. I have since realized the default fan curve didn't max the fan speed ever. Since updating the fan curve I never get as high as 112C, but even in cyberpunk I can get 105C junction temp with only a 76C current temp. While the temperature no longer exceeds the recommended maximum, is a 29 degree difference in current to junction temp mean there is a problem with my GPU?29C difference between current and junction29C difference between current and junction

0 Likes
3 Replies
jtpro02
Journeyman III

Forgot to mention I have a 6950XT Red Devil if that matters.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Don't know, but I would probably compare performance to benchmarks you can find online and if performance is as good as it should, it is likely fine as malfunctioning cooler would reduce performance.

Considering how expensive GPUs are nowadays, I keep my framerate capped in single-player games to something like 72-90 fps depending on game to reduce heat and stress to components, electric consumption and try to keep my GPU alive as long as possible. Capping fps also reduces noise from coolers a lot as GPUs are often quite efficient to a point and most of the heat and wasted electricity comes from pushing them to run as fast as possible to win benchmarks and improve sales.

Soon there will likely be other brands than AMD and Nvidia on GPU market (Intel, that Chinese company and who knows who else), but until then, prices are outrageous and I aim to keep mine running for as long as possible. 

0 Likes
jackechan
Journeyman III

Don't know, but I would probably compare performance to benchmarks you can find online and if performance is as good as it should, it is likely fine as malfunctioning cooler would reduce performance.

Considering how expensive GPUs are nowadays, I keep my framerate capped in single-player games to something like 72-90 fps depending on game to reduce heat and stress to components, electric consumption and try to keep my GPU alive as long as possible. Capping fps also reduces noise from coolers a lot as GPUs are often quite efficient to a point and most of the heat and wasted electricity comes from pushing them to run as fast as possible to win benchmarks and improve sales.

0 Likes