cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Forza horizon 5 and Minecraft Java Edition Crashes

For starters, this isn't isolated to my system, and my brother and I have been reporting these crashes for years now. I'm running a 5600 XT, which has been paired with both a Ryzen 3600X and a Ryzen 5800X on an 800W PSU. My brother runs a Ryzen 3600 and a 5700 XT. We both experience crashes in the aforementioned game.

Minecraft Java Edition will crash at random, though not nearly as often as Forza horizon 5. Heck, Horizon Zero Dawn and Frostpunk crash as well, but it's not the subject of this post. 

Minecraft and Frostpunk crashes can create corrupted audio and black screens, and it's about a 50/50 whether I get back to desktop or go straight to a reboot (skipping a blue screen entirely).

Forza Horizon 5 crashes usually just cause a prolonged black screen followed by the system terminating the game, with an error like this:Driver Crash on FH5.png

and it corrupts some text outside of the game, along with random video driver timeouts:

funny driver visual corruption.png

As an aspiring software developer, my slightly educated guess is that a pointer wasn't initialized or that its content was deleted erroneously.

What really irks me is that, like I mentioned, I have been getting these crashes for years, and reporting them through the bug reporting tool as much as possible. I can only make slightly educated guesses as to why they happen, and I have no idea why our complaints have been ignored considering both of these games are very popular. I can likely assume we're not alone, and that the issue is a commonality in the RX 5000 series. I've tried to be patient and hope this would work itself out, but it hasn't and I'm tired of having to reboot after playing sometimes only 5 minutes of a game I enjoy, killing the mood and dissuading me from playing it.

Because of this experience, I absolutely cannot recommend the RX 5000 series and I hesitate to recommend any Radeon card to friends and family.

0 Likes
0 Replies