cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Vulkandr
Journeyman III

Driver crashes after 22.5.1 update (6900xt)

I have a 6900xt nitro+, It's been pretty smooth sailing for over a year now, ive had it since the first month of release, but as of the update 22.5.1 and preview build 22.10.01.03, i have been getting driver crashes in many games, it seems more stable with the preview build. I havent gotten any blue screens, just video driver crashes. I'm not running any overclocks atm. The driver crashes only happen when loading into a match after a previous match ran fine. I did a DDU wipe before installing preview build after 22.5.1 started crashing.

Windows 10 pro
Ryzen 5800x
32gb 3600mhz memory
Sapphire 6900xt Nitro+

If more info is required, I can provide it. I will be rolling back to the previous driver build 22.4.2 
for now, will update if it continues to crash still.

12 Replies
Benago1
Journeyman III

Re: Driver crashes after 22.5.1 update (6900xt)

I'm running a Gigabyte RX6900 XT Waterforce. Been having crashes and often before the updated drivers. Seems AMD can't right a good driver for there cards. It creates limits, Can't overclock. I let windows install the compatible drives and I not can play with no crash. Not really how I want to play. Cant do anything with the card. Always had Nvidia and always able to push the cards to there limit. Decided to give AMD a try. Sorry I did. Just may have to sell the card and take the lose and go back to Nvidia.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Challenger

What game(s) are crashing?  22.5.1 is WHQL and the May driver contains a long list in the notes section about unstable behavior in certain games.  I have an XFX Speedster MERC 319 RX 6900 XT black and haven't run into any issues yet.  Do you have your pci-e connectors on different rails?

0 Likes
Benago1
Journeyman III

Yes I do. Running 3 different rails and the supply is a evga 1300. No power problems. I'm running halo infinity. Now the card is controlling 4 monitors. Just one is being used during the game. It's a Asus 34 ULTRA Wide at 165 mhz. Just letting the card run on its own. No overclock. With windows drivers I have no issues at all. As soon as I do a uninstall with ddc and put the AMD drivers in. I get about 5 min of play time and the card freezes. I restart the machine and windows put there drivers in.. May try to put Gigabytes drives in and not update. Seems to work ok then, but the drivers they use are older.

0 Likes
Vulkandr
Journeyman III

the two games i noticed crashes in before i gave up and rolled back was for honor and splitgate, elden ring seemed to be fine, but only played it briefly with those drivers. its been stable with 22.4.2 on again.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Challenger

22.5.1 works fine for me, however, the May 2022 beta update makes things look weird plus causes some controls in World of Warships to not display correctly so I rolled back to 22. 5.1 and that's where I'll stay for a minute.

0 Likes
thommo11
Adept I

same here, driver timed out, have to hit the pc reset button, gone back to older drivers, 

but AMD wont listen, they couldn't care less.

5900x cpu

6900xt red devil gpu

32g ram

1200 watt power supply 

win 10

all driver/software are all up to date.

0 Likes
tool
Journeyman III

I've been experiencing driver instability since updating to 22.5.1 myself, previous version was very stable.

Windows 10 Pro

Ryzen 5 3600

GSkill Ripjaws V 16gb x 2 at 3600mhz

Gigabyte 5700xt Gaming OC

0 Likes
Benago1
Journeyman III

Had the same problem. So far been able to max out the card with no issues. Uninstall your AMD drives with DDC in safe mode, but first disconnect from the internet and pause windows update. Make sure you have a set of drivers to install. Uninstall the drivers. Reboot. Install the drivers. Reboot. Hook up to the internet. Update your drives, but you pic them out from AMD. Do not let AMD auto install. Once everything is done. let windows do updated. Window will try to install there drivers if your not up to date and this will create a conflict and your system will start to crash again. Good luck. Runnings a Gigabyte RX6900 XT Waterforce.

APmech
Journeyman III

Same problem here.  Came from a stable 6800XT and now upgraded to a 6950XT.  Uninstalled, then DDU'd and have been getting random crashes since.  

0 Likes