cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

shalien
Journeyman III

Did my good old R9 390X sing it's swan song ?

Hi dear AMD Community,

I need a little hed up about an issue on my AMD R9 390X card .

Since a few day it started to crash when starting games (fallout 4, theHunter, etc) and showing white artifacts randomly on desktop (I pinpoint the issue to software using hardware rendering ie : discord, steam, etc).

For the full story, a few month ago I had to repaste the chip since the GPU was reaching 84°c in idling. After the repasting it was running at 60°c in Fallout 4 full HD 60 FPS (not modded)

The issue begin after an alt-tab in theHunter, the computer BSODed and **bleep** goes downhill from that point .

This is an exemple of the issue :

Inkedunknown_LI.png

Aside from the Xmas and snow based jokes, I didn't find any solution among those one :

- OS complete reinstall

- Blow cleaning the card, the computer, connector etc (removing everything from case and reinstall it)

So since the card has almost 35K hours of running I do understand that anything on it including the memory etc can be weared out . But just in case maybe someone here will have a solution !

Thanks  for reading of your help .

0 Likes
3 Replies

It is possible something wasn't installed properly after your replaced the Thermal paste on the GPU heatsink. 

If you get artifacts during the Desktop it is good sign that your GPU card is not working correctly.

Artifacts can be caused my Overclocking, Overheating, Graphics Driver, GPU going bad, etc.

0 Likes

Indeed, but the card worked flawlessy for almost three month after the repasting .

I will dismantle it tonight to check the chip and the paste .

0 Likes

I don't know about the R9 390x, but with newer GPU cards if you remove the Shroud to replace the Thermal paste you also have to replace the Thermal pads on the ram and other areas.

I replaced the shroud on a HD6950 and all I needed to do was replace the Thermal paste. It had no Thermal pads to replace.

Just a thought.

0 Likes