cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Berko
Adept I

Changing old AMD Radeon H6670 for an AMD Radeon RX 6600 doesn't work

Hello I have an old PC, an ASUStek M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 mobo, AMD Phenom 2 x2 555 PCU, biosupdate from 2012. 

I am in the transit to build a new system, but for now I already bought a new PSU, 600 watt, and a new Grafics Card, the AMD Radeon RX 6600. 

Before buying a new mobo and CPU I already wanted to enjoy my new card.

My system did start with the on board graphics on low specs (Not HD), but windows didn't find my grafics card. I tried to find drivers on the net but than my system went black. I had to change to my old card again for beiing able to type this message.

My old motherboad had  a PCI E 2.0 slot, so I thought this would work, of course my new PSU has an 8 pin to use for my new card.

Is there any change I am doiing wrong or? 

Thanks,

Berko

0 Likes
2 Solutions

According to Techpowerup Specs on your GPU card it is a PCIe 4.0 x 8 which converts to PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot.

Your Motherboard has 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots.

This TechPowerUp review on how the RX6600XT will run all PCIe 4.0, 3.0, 2.0, & 1.1 slots: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/

Screenshot 2023-01-29 085606.png

According to the above Review your 6600XT should run in your old PC it will just run 4 times slower than normal.

The review shows how many FPS in various games while in PCIe 2.0x 8 slot.

It is possible that your motherboard is not compatible with the new GPU card or your PSU is not giving out the proper voltage to the GPU Card.

EDIT: Xlox made a good point. What I meant was that PCIe 2.0 BANDWIDTH will be 4 times less than PCIe 4.0 but it will also be slower as per this tech site comparing PCIe versions: https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/Difference-between-PCIe-2-vs-PCIe-3-vs-PCIe-4-vs-PCIe-5...

Screenshot 2023-01-30 141649.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes

it's about bandwidth , not sure it would  result in "4 time slower" , maybe just some fps less, depending on bandwidth usage

and yeah 11 year old mb with nowadays gpu its difficult to say that it will work ... it is displaying something but if there is something that should be corrected by bios update so that it works, then it's a problem , there won't be any new bios update ...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

is the 2012 bios the last one ?

did you "load bios defaults" after installing gpu in your case ?

0 Likes

From what I see it is the last version for this mobo. 
No I didn’t check it in my bios. It wasn’t mentioned under systemsettings.

0 Likes

According to Techpowerup Specs on your GPU card it is a PCIe 4.0 x 8 which converts to PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot.

Your Motherboard has 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots.

This TechPowerUp review on how the RX6600XT will run all PCIe 4.0, 3.0, 2.0, & 1.1 slots: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/

Screenshot 2023-01-29 085606.png

According to the above Review your 6600XT should run in your old PC it will just run 4 times slower than normal.

The review shows how many FPS in various games while in PCIe 2.0x 8 slot.

It is possible that your motherboard is not compatible with the new GPU card or your PSU is not giving out the proper voltage to the GPU Card.

EDIT: Xlox made a good point. What I meant was that PCIe 2.0 BANDWIDTH will be 4 times less than PCIe 4.0 but it will also be slower as per this tech site comparing PCIe versions: https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/Difference-between-PCIe-2-vs-PCIe-3-vs-PCIe-4-vs-PCIe-5...

Screenshot 2023-01-30 141649.png

0 Likes

it's about bandwidth , not sure it would  result in "4 time slower" , maybe just some fps less, depending on bandwidth usage

and yeah 11 year old mb with nowadays gpu its difficult to say that it will work ... it is displaying something but if there is something that should be corrected by bios update so that it works, then it's a problem , there won't be any new bios update ...

0 Likes
Berko
Adept I

Thanks for your great information. I will try it out one more time. When it doesn't work out I have to wait till I have time in a month or so to build my GPU into a new PC