Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DarkArts
Journeyman III

Can't change resolution on laptop Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics

Hi!

Was wondering if anybody has any idea what's going on here...

My GPU keeps giving me the following error: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".  I'm stuck with 1024 x 768 res. Can't change it at all unless I'm in Safe Mode.

Specs:

HP ProBook 445 G7
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Memory 16 GB
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics
Motherboard HP - 8730
Video Cards AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics
Network Card Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter

Things I've tried:

• Uninstalled/Installed GPU through Adrenaline as well as Device Manager
  • Updated drivers countless times, used different versions.
  • Tried the AMD clean up tool.
  • Disabled Windows update.
  • Changed group Policy to not install drivers
  • Tried a fresh windows install.
  • Cleaned registry
  • DDU

Anybody has been through something similar? I'm desperate at this point. lol

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Download the Ryzen 4500U AMD VGA driver directly from here and install and see if it is works or not: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-mobile-processors-radeon-graphic...

I believe this is the HP SUPPORT download page for your HP laptop: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-445-g7-notebook-pc/32764491

Screenshot 2023-01-28 141030.png

It is best to use HP OEM AMD VGA Driver first just to make sure everything work fine and no more errors in Device Manager plus HP OEM AMD driver is 100% compatible and it is fairly new - October 2022.

Click on "Detect my Drivers " first and see which drivers are updated on your laptop. If the AMD Driver isn't updated than manually download the driver and install it.

NOTE: Make sure to delete the AMD Driver Installation folder at C:\AMD BEFORE installing the AMD driver again each time to prevent conflict or incompatibilities.

NOTE: The reason why you can't change the resolution is because the AMD Driver is disabled so most likely you are using Microsoft Basic Display adapter. But you should be able to change the resolution in windows settings - Display when using MS Basic Display adapter driver.

Also run GPU-Z to see if your AMD driver is correctly installed after you install the HP OEM AMD VGA driver and also for the 4500U AMD driver afterwards if you decide to do that also.

0 Likes