Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

monitorbuyer
Journeyman III

AMD Adaptive-Sync vs. AMD FreeSync

Hi there.

I am considering to buy myself a new monitor.

There are two models, first has an AMD FreeSync and second has an AMD Adaptive-Sync support. Both are 75Hz IPS FullHD 21.5" monitors from Acer.

Honestly, I have never heard of "AMD Adaptive-Sync" technology, just heard of AMD FreeSync. I know that "Adaptive-Sync" technology is a part of VESA DisplayPort 1.2a standard, so ... what exactly is "AMD Adaptive-Sync"?

One more question, both monitors have 75Hz max. refresh rate and 56Hz min. refresh rate using FullHD resolution. Should I expect frame tearings in situations where FPS drops below 56 even if AMD FreeSync is enabled?

Thank you.

0 Likes
5 Replies

It's the same thing. As for if you will see frame tearing under the adaptive sync range, then that's going to depend on how sensitive you are to it.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/freesync-faq.aspx

theacclaimed
Miniboss

They are the same thing. Freesync was just a slang term when the technology first came out to refer to AMD's Adaptive Sync. The term "freesync" eventually caught on to the point where everyone including AMD themselves started referring to the technology as "AMD Freesync".

phxrider
Adept I

So, if these are exactly the same thing, why does my video driver show one monitor as "Adaptive Sync Compatible" and the other as "AMD FreeSync"?

Driver-AdaptiveSync.pngDriver-FreeSync.png

0 Likes
APmech
Adept II

VESA Adaptive Sync is compatible with AMD and Nvidia gpus.   I currently have one of each AMD/Nvidia cards and have an Adaptive Sync monitor so I can run either one of them and still get the benefits of smooth gameplay.  As far as I know, Freesync is similar or pretty much the same as Adaptive Sync, but Gsync Premium capable monitors (and some other variants) require you to have an Nvidia gpu and will not work with AMD.

0 Likes

I understand G-Sync and that wasn't part of the question - what I was asking is "what is the difference between Adaptive Sync and AMD Freesync, as shown in the display section of the AMD utility". If they are the same thing, why are there different designations in the driver utility?

0 Likes