cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

markjohnson
Adept I

6800 XT has temp issues.

I installed my GPU just after x-mass and my temps were always high as it got my room very warm.  I cleaned out my case the other day after running MSI Afterburner and my temps are very high 103C at times.

What is really weird is the Afterburner program lists two GPUs.  One says 65C and the other 103C.

Is this how it is suppose to be?  and what does the second one mean?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The 6000 series GPU cards Maximum Operating Temperature for Hot Spots (Junction Temperature) is 110c.

There are several Thermal Sensors throughout the GPU card. If any reaches 110c it will automatically start to slow down or throttle to maintain the temperature at 110c or lower.

There are two Temperature Readings for the GPU card. One is for the general temperature of the GPU card while the other is the Hot Spot (Junction Temp) temperature.

So as long as the temperature never reaches 110c your are fine. But it is best to try and keep the hot spot as low as possible.

So make sure you have good Air flow inside your computer case. You can check this out by removing your computer case side panel and see if Temps lower or not.

That the GPU Heat sink and Fans are clean and not dusty or oily.

But if you have a warm or hot ambient room temperature (85F and above) than that will make both your CPU and GPU to run hotter since it is circulating hot air from the room

View solution in original post

17 Replies

The 6000 series GPU cards Maximum Operating Temperature for Hot Spots (Junction Temperature) is 110c.

There are several Thermal Sensors throughout the GPU card. If any reaches 110c it will automatically start to slow down or throttle to maintain the temperature at 110c or lower.

There are two Temperature Readings for the GPU card. One is for the general temperature of the GPU card while the other is the Hot Spot (Junction Temp) temperature.

So as long as the temperature never reaches 110c your are fine. But it is best to try and keep the hot spot as low as possible.

So make sure you have good Air flow inside your computer case. You can check this out by removing your computer case side panel and see if Temps lower or not.

That the GPU Heat sink and Fans are clean and not dusty or oily.

But if you have a warm or hot ambient room temperature (85F and above) than that will make both your CPU and GPU to run hotter since it is circulating hot air from the room

Ah, so it wants to just run hot all of the time?  I mean any game sends it to 90C almost immediately.  I even bought a 360mm water cooler for my GPU.  I have side panel, back panel, front panel, and top panels all off. already.  lol

This is just crazy hot.  My room is like an oven.

My room temp is around 73F or 23C.  Well, for a few minutes anyway.  At least it is still winter and I can open my windows.  lol

I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.  I did update, or actually install AMD driver (I was using MS drivers) and it cooled a few degrees.  not much.  at least it stays below 100c now.

Thanks for the help.

AMD says that the 5000 & 6000 Series GPU cards are engineered to run up to 110c before it starts to throttle or slow down.

If your room is very hot like above 85 F then don't expect your CPU and GPU to run very cool. The hotter the room temperature the hotter the CPU and GPU are going to run normally.

The computer case is sucking in hot air to cool off a hot CPU or GPU. But as long as it doesn't constantly run at 110c and above you should be fine.

I keep my room temperature at 79 F - 80 F and both my CPU and GPU stays cool without getting very hot at all.

0 Likes

How hot is, "Not very hot at all?"

Like I said previously, I have a room temperature of 73 degrees and by the time is gets to 76-78 then I need to open windows and doors to cool myself down.  lol  I live in the Pacific Northwest.  So it averages around 48 degrees year round temperature.

0 Likes

Okay then your room temperature is not a factor in your issue.

0 Likes

What processor do you have?

0 Likes

I have a matching Ryzen 5800X CPU.  It runs around 70C depending on the game.

But I find it weird the GPU runs at two different temperatures?  Shouldn't it just say 100C, not 65C.  Is the 100C like the VRM or something else?  Is there actually two different GPUs running different things?

Also, what is up with the forums wanting me to wait 10-minites between posts?  Seems weird to wait so long.

It still won't let me post.  Does it reset to ten minutes even when I am refused a post?

It's not like I'm a new user.  I may not have a ton of posts, but I have been posting randomly for years.

Weird, it says I have an autosaved content from 12:47 PM, It is now 10:58 AM, I have waited past 11 minutes and it won't post still.

0 Likes

The 10 minute wait is from AMD Forum's Flood Control Tool which prevents spammers from opening many spam threads within a very short time.

At one time when AMD first changed to the new format last year. there would be anywhere between 2-20 spam threads opened within a few minutes by various spammers. 

That tool helped stop that action by spammers. I haven't seen that in a while.

But like anything new it has some bugs that need to be ironed out.

0 Likes

Yeah, I figured it was spam control.  I just never seen it so high before.  I have seen many one or two minute timers, but 10 minute seems a little high.  I guess it's not a big deal, and somewhat understandable.

But thanks for the help.  Everything seems fine with my card.  I just found it odd it ran so high on even light loads.  I at least have a 1650 if I need to swap it out on a hot day.  But with higher core/shader counts, and die shrinks not happening as frequent, I imagine power ratings are going to start climbing. so, heat will rise with it.

0 Likes
KENTEK
Adept I

Hi there, not sure if someone mentioned already but have you tried to remove the stock thermal paste and use good quality one?I just changed the thermal paste with Kryonaut from my Aorus Elite 6700xt and wow, before it reached around the 100 C and now 82 C and I'm talking about the hot spot. Maybe also add good thermal pads on the Backplate if want to have cooler VRAM temps, but definitely I'd recommend change your thermal paste with a good one, stock paste usually sucks big time

0 Likes

Yes, like I said I added a water cooler to my GPU. I don't use Kryonaut, but I use new Artic Cooling MX-5 paste. It runs a stead 90c on higher end games that stress it a lot. I even underclocked the GPU at the same time to get it 90c Max. Most games run 75c-90c depending the workloads.

0 Likes
APmech
Adept II

Have you tried to undervolt it?  I used MSI Afterburner (I do the min install of AMD software) and was able to run mine around 1040 mv which brought my temps down and also sped my card up.  Also adjusted the fan curve more aggressive  but not too loud which made a big difference.

Oh yes I also have undervolted via the adrenaline software, using 1090 mV temps are much better and performance wise too

0 Likes

Undervolting is more effective with morepowertools,i have 6750xt nitro and down is a picture from my 24h profile.Tems are down from 67C/90C(junction) to 56C/76C-junction.Previous i had powercolor red dragon 6800xt and worked like a champ to 0.975V gfx undervolt and memory from 1.35V to 1.20V:

guide morepowertools:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/red-bios-editor-and-morepowertool-adjust-and-optimize-your-vbios-and-even...

https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-great-radeon-rx-6800-xt-overclocking-and-mod-guide-community/

6750xt morepowertools1.png

0 Likes

I can't get it to go under 1,100mv without crashing. I got the GPU from a Dell I bought for my Dad, and put his GTX 1650 into the new Dell case. So, I know I won't get a Golden GPU chip. lol

I just thought it was so poor of a GPU that that 105c was abnormal. It turns out to be at least an average GPU.

Or maybe I will just get an aftermarket GPU cooler with case fans, and aftermarket vRAM and VRM heatsinks?

More likely, I will just get one of the new 7900 GPUs. I have caught up on all of my bills from last x-mass and a little ahead for this x-mass, that I can get a really good quality GPU, instead of Dells GPU that barely passed any GPU bin testing. lol

I normally stay away from Dell stuff, but my dad loves them since they first released in the 80s. but, I was forced into the Dell situation thanks to Covid. The gift that keeps on giving. lol

Hopefully I can win the lottery on Dec. 13 and get my GPU before they sell out in 30-seconds or less. lol Otherwise, I may get the aftermarket GPU cooler, to hold me over until sometimes next year when the 7900s become readily available again.

0 Likes
vlad_8011
Adept III

What case are you using? Does it have standard orientation or 90 degree layout (chimney)?

0 Likes

I used to. I had the Lian Li when it first came out. But I dropped in one day while doing a major cleaning and water loop change. When I dropped it after pressure washing it, then partially fell on it trying to catch myself, with everything removed, and it torqued the case and I couldn't seem to get it square. It was wobbly and I couldn't get the top to lock in place. So I got a temporary Corsair 4000X RGB case and added my Corsair lights from the Lian Li case into it.

So now I have 3-intake fans in the front, plus 3 exhaust fans with two at top and one rear and put the air cooler back on for now, as this case isn't too custom water cooler friendly.

0 Likes