cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

AceCal
Adept I

6700XT woes

My power went out during a system update and when I tried restarting the windows filesystem was corrupted. I couldn't use system restore because none of my restore points were showing. Resetting PC failed. I had to reinstall windows but now it crashes whenever I try and install the graphics drivers and won't boot. Only way to get it up and running again is a fresh Win11 install. I can't for the life of me figure this out. Pls help.

Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1GHz CPU, 16GB DDR4, AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB, ASRock B660M-C motherboard, 500GB PCI-E NVMe, Win 11 Home

0 Likes
1 Solution
AceCal
Adept I

I figured it out. Swapped out HDMI cable for display port cable, ran ddu and installed the driver's in safe mode. Restarted and bam, working.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

What make/model power supply?

Check your drive health

when you say "fresh" install .. do you mean a "clean" install?

https://rtech.support/docs/installations/install-10.html  (basically the same for Win11 too)

Go to Intel.com and run their driver update utility before doing anything else after a "clean" install and you have Windows fully up to date ... THEN install latest drivers from AMD.com

I recommend updating your BIOS to latest as well for your motherboard

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

I wouldn't call it 6700XT woes just like that...

I mean, I can't exclude it, but to me your problems sound much worse than that.

First suspect is your HDD. Second is probably your PSU. (thinking about it, maybe put that in reverse, since your HDD is an SSD)

Try running scandisk before even trying anything with your graphics card.
If that turns out fine, I'm thinking probably PSU..

Always hard to tell, though, because the best way to tell is obviously changing component by component for alternatives, and not many people have alternatives...

First suspicion usually goes to the PSU for me, though, because PSU can literally cause anything. Having stable power is pretty essential. And they don't just die. They often degrade slowly,

0 Likes
AceCal
Adept I

Clean install, yes. Used MS media creation tool for Win11 and created a bootable USB. Power supply is Thermaltake 600w 80 plus gold.

0 Likes
AceCal
Adept I

I figured it out. Swapped out HDMI cable for display port cable, ran ddu and installed the driver's in safe mode. Restarted and bam, working.