cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Mayoandchill
Journeyman III

6700XT Bottleneck

Hello all, new to the community here, not sure if this has already been discussed so I figured I'd make a post. I just upgraded my 5700XT to a 6700XT. I play my games in 1440p and everything looks great, here's a question I have, when I play RDR2, I have everything set to ultra and I'm only using 6200mb out of the 12000mb however my GPU util is at 93-98%. Could it be my cpu bottleneckung the gpu? My cpu util is at 34%-50% under heavy gameplay. Here are my specs

Cpu: ryzen 5 3600.

Ram: Corsair vengeance pro rgb 16gb (2x8gb sticks) 3200mhz

M.2 1tb ssd

Msi mpg gaming edge wifi x570. 

Thank you in advance. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
RPX100
Miniboss

@Mayoandchill hello and welcome to the AMD community forums.

You seem to be a bit confused about all those values...
or at least it seems like you lack the understanding how to read them.
You are also leaving out a few very important values for us to judge the situation.

Please head over to TechPowerUp and download GPU-Z as it has a nice Sensors Tab.

---
- CPU util alone is not a good reading on current multi-core CPUs
-> example: 4 cores are at 100%, 4 more cores are at 0% -> reading shows 50% util
-> you need to check each cores util (for example via windows task manager)
-> just make sure to right click the graph in task manager and show all cores

- GPU util above 90% usually indicates that it is working as it should
-> it really matters if you "let it run freely" by unlocking the framerate
-> or if you introduce a framerate cap by using vSync/Freesync or software framelimiter

- GPU core / memory / VRM and hotspot temperatures are also important to look out for.
-> you want core / mem / VRM temps to stay around 60-70°C (and below 80°C in general)
-> you want hotspot temp to stay below 90°C and the delta between core and hotspot < 15°C

You never mentioned your framerate and display refresh rate. Do you get stable 60 FPS? (vSync on)
Or do you have a 120 Hz / 144 Hz display and want to get 120 / 144 FPS?

If you unlock your framerate, then your GPU will render as many frames as it can: 99% util all the time.
-> downside: more power draw, increased heat and noise level, screen tear
-> upside: less input lag and you can brag about your high FPS ^^

---
short answer: 99% GPU util just means that your GPU is rendering as many frames as it can handle
-> no, this is not a CPU bottleneck (CPU bottleneck = low GPU usage, because GPU has to wait for CPU)

suggestion: use GPU-Z to monitor your temps and GPU clocks
Check your games settings and enable vSync or FreeSync
-> monitor your framerate (FPS) and see if you can achieve 60 / 120 / 144 FPS depending on your display refresh rate

cheers

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

Thank you for that, i do lack the understanding as i just got into pc building/gaming in the last couple of years so i feel like there is a lot to learn. When i run the game i get 58-68fps, and do not have Vsync on. if i keep Vsync on, i get around 60's as i should. i guess i'm only confused because i see the benchmark for the games at 1440p with a 5700xt at around 65fps, so i was worrying why i'm not getting more with a newer and better gpu.

Can be various reasons why.

Make sure you have the Game settings optimized for your hardware.

Make sure in Radeon Settings you have the game properly configured or in Windows Settings - Graphics.

You can test your hardware for various games at gaming sites that has "Can I Run It " feature like these:

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri 

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/

https://technical.city/en/can-i-run-it

Those website will tell you which hardware is weakest for playing specific games and whether your Graphic driver and hardware can run it at various settings.

Go to these two Bottleneck websites and input your GPU, CPU, & RAM you have. It will show you if your GPU or CPU is being bottlenecked or not at 3 major Resolutions:

Bottleneck Calculator 

FPS & BOTTLENECK CALCULATOR

This is from FPS & BOTTLENECK Calculator:

Screenshot 2021-11-21 073159.png

0 Likes