cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Axelu7
Journeyman III

XFX SWFT RX 6800 low fps+spikes

So I recently upgraded my Asus GTX 1060 Dual OC 6GB to an XFX SWFT RX 6800 16GB and now my PC seems to underperform compared to the tons of benchmarks I've watched like a maniac before upgrading. Example: AC Valhalla with High settings tends to drop below 60fps when in detailed areas, while in Ultra High it does the same (in ultra it seems to be more stable but it never goes over 70fps).

I've done DDU so don't worry about that. Currently using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition.

Current build:
Mobo: Asus B360-f CPU: i7-8700k 3.7ghz RAM: Corsair DDR4 2666mhz (2x8GB) GPU: RX 6800 16GB PSU: Corsair RM650 Modular 650w (GPU is connected to 1 double headed PCIe, ik it's not recommended but it's all I got rn, don't tell me this is the main problem causing those spikes bcs I'll cry T-T).

Is there anything I can do to improve my FPS? (also if the only problem is my cpu which is bottlenecking I'm going to upgrade to an R7 7700x and DDR5 but I am still stuck on this current build until summer starts and I'd like for it to perform decently until then...)

0 Likes
1 Reply
2DEZstb
Adept II

hello, alexu.
I think with your current build you are at the end of the line and have reached the maximum. Therefore, an upgrade is definitely a good decision. When choosing new components, remember that a mainboard is not crucial for system performance, it just has more features. It is always the components that you install on the mainboard that are crucial for the system performance.
When choosing a CPU, you shouldn't despise the non-X variants of the Ryzen... with an R5 7600 you can achieve 100fps, with high presets. The AM4 generation would also be an alternative, I don't have one, but it's not your budget. There are several options for RAM, anything from 5200-6400 MHz speed, I wouldn't go any higher. You can find more detailed information about the RAM on the manufacturer's website of your future motherboard manufacturer, as a guide.
I can give you the prewiev driver, with fluid motion frames switched on you should definitely make visible progress. Before you install this driver, please uninstall the current software using the AMD tool and only then install the prewiev driver. You can find the tool in the amd.exe under...
amd-programs-cim--bin64--amdcleanuputility

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.40.01.10 Preview Driver for AMD Fluid Motion Frames Release Notes...

0 Likes