cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

swagboss
Adept II

XFX 7800XT random crashes / reboots

Recently, I've noticed that my computer has been randomly rebooting during use, and after some troubleshooting, it seems to be linked to the 7800XT graphics card. The reboots happen during various tasks, from gaming to regular desktop use, and there's no specific pattern to when it occurs.

Here's a bit more information about my setup:

• GPU: 7800XT 
  • CPU: R9 5900
  • PSU: 850 seasonic gold 

I've already tried the following steps to address the issue:

1. Updated to the latest graphics card drivers. (As well as rolling back, and of course DDU everytime)
  2. Monitored temperatures to ensure the GPU isn't overheating.
  3. Checked for loose connections and reseated the graphics card and ram.
  4. Tested with a different power supply to rule out power issues. (I have another 1000w platinum I tested)
  5. Reinstalled Windows.
  6. Used only one monitor. 
  7. Downclocked the card.

Unfortunately, none of these steps have resolved the problem. I'm starting to wonder if it might be a hardware issue with the graphics card itself. Before I contact the manufacturer for support, I wanted to see if anyone here has experienced something similar and might have additional suggestions for troubleshooting or fixing the issue. Additionally, I can pretty much 100% confirm the system was stable before upgrading from a 5700xt

EDIT:
Throwing spaghetti at the wall, testing out if it's REBAR / SAM related. UPDATE: Nope, unrelated. 

1 Solution
swagboss
Adept II

Hey just following up, new drivers have resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
charvel74
Adept I

I have the same issues with my 5800x3d and xfx 7800xt. However I don’t experience issues with desktop use it’s only in game. I’m wondering if adrenaline software is conflicting with certain games. Is the FSR causing issues? 

zellith
Adept II

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/7800xt-random-pc-restarts-crashes/m-p/639757

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/7800-xt-crashing-with-dual-monitor-setups-dp-hdmi-green-...

Welcome to the club.  As far as Im aware, so far there are no confirmed fixes.  Only using your Display Ports can reduce the problem; but not eliminate it.  So far there has been no official word or recognition of the problem from either 3rd party partners or AMD as far as Im aware.

Yeah I've noticed, hopefully we get some sort of comment soon.  In terms of HDMI / DP, I've noticed that has zero effect on stability. At least on my end. Issue occurs with 1 monitor, 2 HDMI / DP and 2 DP / DP

AntoinePL
Adept II

As others say : welcome to the club.

What critical error do you have in Windows event viewer ? Mine is Kernel-Power 41. Got 7 of these since mid-september, often when playing Cyberpunk after a cold boot (= boot after a long time of rest). I created a topic on that issue.

So far from event viewer I normally get: 

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8

Although the APIC ID changes, and really I can confirm it's not a CPU / Memory related issues. This is kind of proved by great stability before the GPU swap, and also for testing I made sure everything was stock / low frequency. Memtest as well.  Frankly after doing more research it almost seems like a pretty major hardware issue, but it's crazy that's it's popping up a previously stable cards. Not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about but it seems like a hardware level issue.

Also error don't seem to be logged 100% of the time. Pretty sure I have seen a kernel-power error once, but due to the fact that it's a full system hard crash on my end, it makes sense it doesn't always manage to log. 

swagboss
Adept II

Does seem like there are any updates on this, does anyone know if we've seen any communication from AMD?

0 Likes

Ive been watching videos on testing for system stability. There's nothing else I can do now. 7800xt works fine in 3dmark doing stress testing. It just shuts off randomly during any game I Try to play. I am going to return it before that window is past. 

zellith
Adept II

Ive heard nothing personally.

0 Likes
aleaiactaest
Adept I

I am on the same boat, i replaced every single component of my PC, but the gpu just crashes. I even moved from XFX MERC to Powercolor hellound, crash is identical, on the same scenario. We need help from AMD

lk29
Journeyman III

Same for me with all the tests carried out for an xfx that I have owned since the card was released. I was going to change brands but in view of the comments or it's the same for other brands I'm lost...
Please amd find us a solution. I would like to be loyal to your brand in view of your way of doing things but if the card does not work I would probably go back to the competitor where I have never had any problems before.

0 Likes

Try the new drivers which came out today.

0 Likes
swagboss
Adept II

Hey just following up, new drivers have resolved the issue.

0 Likes
diogobl
Journeyman III

i have the some problem with rx7800xt... 

0 Likes