cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

malevolent
Journeyman III

VR (Virtual Reality)

Seems to be a consistent issue with VR sets and AMD GPU's. I have several VR headsets and have had constant issues when using AMD GPU's. I currently have an issue with the Pimax Crystal where one lens will flash and the other stays dormant. The only way to fix this is to constantly reset the headset or physically reconnecting the cable to the video card multiple times (RX 6900 XT). After some investigation, I found out this symptom is only affecting users who own an AMD GPU card. The census in the VR community is "If you want VR, buy an Invidia GPU". Is AMD ever going to address this issue and compete with Invidia on this platform or is it just not cost effective for the small demographics with VR customers? The only thing that's keeping AMD alive is its reduced cost to the competitors and not its competitive performance, reliability and integration. I understand that the manufactures play a big part in forging the hardware and software compatibility. At some point, AMD is going to have to take steps to form those bonds and not rely on customer grievances on the VR headset manufacture. At this point, I rather just buy the GPU the manufacture recommends that just so happens to tick all the boxes to include performance and reliability even at a higher cost.    

0 Likes
1 Reply
Born2baPatriot
Journeyman III

"I currently have an issue with the Pimax Crystal where one lens will flash and the other stays dormant. " I freaked out when that happened to me! Thought I blew out my 7900 XTX.  I strictly use MS FlightSim and on their forum knowledgeable users have commented that they switched to NVIDIA 4090 from AMD 7900 and were pairing it with Ryzen CPU even - with far better VR results. I'm strongly leaning that way. If you look at the AMD GPU app and click the gear settings you see the ReLive VR and a Preference list of HMDs and Pimax isn't a selection so that is telling in itself.  All the tech companies have NDAs and written contracts to protect their R$D and while it does make things more competitive in the capitalist world it leaves users at the bottom. I cannot blame any tech company for protecting their products but we have to remember a Corporation is not a person - we are a means to an end.  Even if AMD knows what the VR issues are and how to fix them it may go against the above mentioned NDAs and corporate contract agreements to provide that fix to us....I honestly cannot think of another reason bc techies are very smart and I am sure AMD techs are as frustrated as us users.

0 Likes