cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rockossack
Journeyman III

Trying to track down 7600XT microstutter - or maybe something else?

GPU: RX 7600XT

CPU: RYZEN 5 3600

Motherboard: GIGABYTE A520M S2H

BIOS Version: latest

RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair TX550M 550W

Operating System: WINDOWS 11

GPU Drivers: latest

Hi there,

I've just recently switched from my GTX1060 to a 7600XT and after the switch I ended up chasing either microstutter or a ghost. My aim was to have a nice 1060p GPU that can run games flawlessly and while I get auto configured at ultra settings on some of the older titles (like Fallen Order) I seem to have a varying case of microstutter.

Take FO for example, I can have a whole battle sequence running fine on ultra, but if the scenery changes quickly (after/during ice slides for example, or turning a corner into an opening field) I can get a bit of stuttering for 1-2 seconds, then everything is smooth again.

Another example would be Civ 6 of all games, while with the GTX1060 it would pan around the globe while rotating units on the turn perfectly, with this setup there seems* to be the tiniest, briefest stutter sometimes.

CS:GO, on the other hand, is as smooth as ever. Now, I know these aren't the most resource-intensive games (I mean, even FO is 5 years old now), but I just can't figure out what could be causing the tiniest stutter ever in Civ 6, or the occasional stutter in FO.

Some things I've done:

1. DDU'd the drivers a couple of times.

2. Got a fresh install of Win11.

3. Updated the BIOS to the latest available version.

4. Replaced my pretty old PC case with a newer one, which reduced the GPU temp by about 15 Celsius down to the 60-70 range when I'm playing e.g. FO.

5. Let Adrenaline run HYPR-RX and turned on the high power profile in Windows.

6. Double-checked, XMP is on (even after BIOS update) and the ram is running at 3200.

7. Doesn't really matter if I have vsync on or not.

I suspect a few things, or a combination of things, are to blame:

• PSU is a bit on the weak side, I am not sure if the 7600XT can have power spikes, but it might not be enough (although I did use a calculator at one point to check if the 550W should be enough, as AMD reckons 600W should be the minimum for a 7600XT build).

• There are only 6+2 pins available on this PSU. I mean, I suppose it can draw the same power from these as from 8-pin ones, but I see enemies everywhere at this stage.

• The A520M S2H only has a PCIe 3, not 4 - but as I'm not doing any real heavy lifting, I don't think this should be a major problem.

• The Ryzen 5 3600 could be a GPU bottleneck.

• The monitor is also quite old and not freesync compatible.

Wish I could show you logs from Adrenaline, but after updating to 24.3.1. FPS shows n/a everywhere.

As it turns out, I'm not smart enough to get to the bottom of this, so I'm asking for your help and advice in tracking down what might be the problem. At the moment I can't easily replace older parts, but I'd appreciate any insight on this front. Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies
ulieq
Adept III

defragment your hard drive. 

0 Likes
432hz
Adept III

I had some roughly similar issues on my rx6800 intermittently. Disabling ReBAR in BIOS and rolling back to 23.12.1 helped me.

• Disabled Resizable BAR / ReBAR in BIOS
  • Clean installed 23.12.1
  • Disabled fTPM
  • Disabled Secure Boot
  • Disabled CSM

I believe you need secure boot and fTPM enabled for Win 11, so those are likely moot in this case. Try disabling ReBAR first and Above 4G Decoding if ReBAR only doesn't work.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes