cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

siddust
Adept II

Sapphire pulse RX 6600 XT black screen driver instalation

Hi guys, looks like too many people is having issues with this type of graphic card, i bought mine last friday and i was excited, well installed the proper drivers and utility´s and everything ok, i played games aswell, but sudently every time i turn off or restart my PC i get an bug error from AMD software saying the video driver had a problem and it started graphic to run in safe mode, well i tried so many things, reinstalling using proper progrmas to do so an then every time i try to reinstall the drivers i get black screen forever  the PC still runs normally but no image even if i reboot pc the same thing happen over and over again,so i cleaned registry even format my whole PC and guess  what ? the same thing happened after installed the drivers again, latest version 28.1 the only one availabe actually, and now i can't use RX 6600 xt anymore like the first time, il do a refund but i hope AMD fix this asap for every1.

if some1 had some solution for it tell me plz

my specs are:

ASUS prime Z370-P

intel I7-8700 (8GEN)

16GB ram DDR (2400Mhz)

Corsair PSU 650W

333 Replies

I have tried many solutions as well.
Interestingly, after moving the graphics card from the PCI-E 4.0 slot to the PCI-E 3.0 slot, everything started to work without any problems

0 Likes
Zakc
Journeyman III

Hello , ok for me the fix was to turn off windows fast booting -> CMD -> as admin -> powercfg /hibernate off  i believe that windows fast boot system has a minor bug with new GPU`s that have only DP/HDMI ports ,because not just the RX6000 series have this problem and not only AMD GPU`s

0 Likes
6600xt
Adept II

Update to 22.8.1 drivers. They fix it. I used them for 5 days now and haven't had sleep issues anymore.
F U C K  everyone who recommends buying a new power supply. That definitly won't fix it permanently.

0 Likes
Mitsui14
Adept II

Sleep issues is not the main problem discussed on this thread. People here are having issues installing the drivers, they either get a black screen in the middle of the driver installation, or they get a black screen after a succesful boot (they can see the bios info, but a blackscreen occurs after the windows logo).

I personally had both issues since the day i bought the card (powercolor fighter rx 6600 xt), and I also solved it changing the PSU. I tried literally everything, new and older drivers, disable csm, secure boot, ULPS, above 4g decoding in bios, ASPM settings, even using atikmdag patcher to modify the drivers, but nothing worked. Every morning after I turned on my PC, I was getting a black screen after the windows spinning circle. I know that the  PC was booting fine, since I could hear the windows startup sound and even see my machine by using Teamviewer on another PC.

Everytime I got a blackscreen after the windows logo, my gpu was getting a "code 43" error in the device manager. The weird thing is that if I turned off my machine using the power button, and turn it on again, this problem dissapears and I can use my pc and play all day with no problems.

After a lot of investigation, I think that the cause of the problem can be narrowed to 2 things: single rail PSU's, and the ATX version of the PSU. Even if my new PSU has more wattage compared to the old one (750w compared to 550w), I don't think that this is the solution, because people here are using strong PSU's and they're also getting the same black screens.

I decided to bought a new Power Supply after reading this thread: New 6600 XT no picture after driver install and found that my old psu was using and old ATX12v version:

Sin título-2.jpg

In this thread they said:

So I tried to find out the exact differences between ATX 2.3 and 2.4. The only thing I found about it that seems reasonably plausible to me was in Wikipedia :
The minimum load has been set to 0.05 A, recommended is 0.00 A. Power supplies that do not meet this specification cannot start or switch off during operation. Almost all ATX power supplies below the ATX 2.4 specification require at least 0.5 A load at 12V V2DC.

I would therefore explain it in a simplified way that the 6600 XT is "too efficient" and apparently draws less than 0.5A (at 12V therefore 6W) as soon as the driver has been loaded by Windows and the energy management takes over.

And I can confirm that my RX 6600 xt consumes 3-4w at idle, so that explanation makes absolutely sense to me. And it's been about a week since I bought the new power supply, and no issues so far.

I'm still using 22.5.1 drivers, because I simply don't want to use beta drivers.

P.S: After all this theoretical explanation I really hope that AMD can solve this issue with a new driver release, because the GPU is so good at power efficiency that IMO it can work absolutely fine with 550w psus.

P.S 2: Maybe AMD already fixed these issues with 22.8.1 drivers? it would be good to know if people are still having these problems with the latest beta drivers.

Stop bull**bleep**ting people. I also had black screens after driver installation but those did not happen again with newer drivers.

You're just trying to sell people new PSUs. 12V are 12V, u **bleep**ing retard and single rail doesn't matter. I'm using a 450 W PSU and have no issues. This is not a hardware issues. There are simply software bugs in the old drivers and they are fixed in 22.8.1. (also had blackscreens at boot sometimes before that) The black screen after driver installation probably even earlier. I only had that happen with 22.5.1 drivers.

You remind me of **bleep**ty customer service who told me to buy a new PSU because of ATX 12V standard. In reality my second harddrive failed and Windows got stuck in a bootloop even though it was on my primary drive. Stop giving people **bleep**ty advice and theories when you have absolutely no real knowledge or experience.

0 Likes

I'm not saying anyone to buy a new PSU. I'm just telling my experience with this card and my old PSU. I also needed a secondary PSU for another build, so I needed to purchase another PSU anyway. People can do wathever they want, even return the GPU if it isn't working as it should. There's no need to insult by the way.

P.S: After reading all the troubles people are having with the 22.8.1 drivers, I still prefer buying a new psu than using beta drivers. I still hope AMD release new WHQL drivers and fix this issues. It's been more than 3 months since the last release...

Thanks for the helpful post. That sounds like it summarized very well the issues people have been having over the past year.

One problem with all the 'I fixed it by doing X' posts is that they sometimes seem to have fixed it temporarily and come back a few weeks later.

I agree it would be good to work out if the new drivers really have fixed things -- but I have heard that many times before and go through all the hassle of putting my card into my old PC to test it and 2 hours later finding it didn't work. So I can't be bothered to waste my hours again.

Just thought I would share my experience, after hours of effort.

I have 7 x PowerColor Fighter RX 6600 XT cards.   I also have 3 PCs.   

2 of the PCs have this issue (boots with screen on at bios, then goes into windows, but screen turns off, same issue when installing drivers).   I tried the latest drivers beta drivers 22.9.  No difference.  Both PCs have different screens.   I tried with brand new 8K compatible cables.  No difference.  I tried the ULPS.  No difference.   I have 1 new card that uses Micron memory, and 6 old cards that have Samsung memory, I tried the newer card.  No difference.  I checked if the newer card had a newer bios version, it doesn't. 

I have 7 cards, so I tried all the cards in the 2 PCs.   None of them worked.   I eventually worked out that I could make it work quite reliably (99% of the time) by plugging in two outputs, e.g. both DisplayPort and HDMI to the same screen.    

I eventually found this thread.   I have a quite new spare power supply, so I swapped it in, and that fixed it right away.    I assume that using two video outputs means slightly higher power draw, which is why it worked with two video outputs. 

Rather than replacing the power supply,  I'm sure the following would also work.

1.  Using a molex/sata to PCIE power adapter cable.

2.  Using a PICE power splitter cable to power the card, but cut the plugs off the unused end and use it to power a case fan or something, so that it has a consistent power draw on the PICE cable. 

Given that I have the same issue on 7 cards (all of them).  I can say 100% that there is an incompatibility between these cards and older power supplies.   

I'm sure this could be fixed with a driver update to make it draw a little more power when switching modes.   This must be impacting thousands of people and causing thousands of RMAs. 

EDIT/UPDATE: As suspected with a molex adapter and also using that molex chain to power the fans I've had success. 

Thanks for sharing your experience @angrychicken. Yeah, it's definetely an incompatibility with some older psu's. I had black screens after boot since the day I purchased my powercolor fighter 6600 xt, but since I replaced the PSU (2 months ago) the problem is gone for good.

About using a molex/sata to PCIE power adapter cable, I really wouldn't do that. It can be really dangerous to use this kind of adapters to power any GPU, because molex was not designed for the amount of power that a GPU needs, and some of the low quality Molex to 8 Pin PCIe adapters could even melt the wires and cause fires.

Connecting both DisplayPort and HDMI to the same or different screens can be a good and safe alternative though, it's a good idea to try this first and see if it fixes the issue.

Still I think this could be fixed with a driver update, or maybe a gpu bios update. But unfortunately it seems that AMD is not addressing this problem yet.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot, I had to register just to say that this really was the solution for me.

I have a Sapphire RX 6600 XT Nitro+ which worked flawlessly for over a year now. This weekend I got a new CPU/Mainboard/RAM configuration which always crashed after the display driver installation, whether it was from Windows or directly from AMD.

The thing is that I wanted to switch my power supplies. The graphics card used to work fine in my old setup with a be quiet Straight Power 10 CM 500W and I wanted to replace it with the newer Pure Power 11 CM 500W from another system. Turns out that the rails of the Pure Power caused my headaches during the driver installation.

I've never experienced something like that before so it took me two days of trial and error to figure it out. I know it sounds crazy but if anyone else still has a similar problem - this might be the solution.

0 Likes
slash909uk
Journeyman III

Hi all. I too have been struggling with black screen at windows 10/11 driver load on my powercolor 6650 xt. New PC build, Intel CPU i5-12400, MSI b660 motherboard, evga b5-550w PSU. With the card in the pci4 slot I get 100% black screen on loading any AMD driver version. It comes back by reverting to the default Microsoft VGA driver and a pwr cycle. I tried 3 AMD driver releases from last year and the windows update one (which seems to be quite recent on win 11.)

However, moving it to the pci3 slot seems to have cured it for me.

I note that the pci4 slot is managed by the CPU and the pci3 by the mb chipset.

Thanks to this Amazon user review by jlb for the clue!

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/reviews/B09ZDKD4XB/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_top?ie=UTF8

0 Likes

How long it's been since you moved the card to the pcie3 slot? for me, that worked for about 3 or 4 days until the problem returned. I spent almost two months trying different things, but they were temporary fixes.

The only think that worked for me was replacing the PSU, I hope that's not the case for you anyway!

The RX 6650 xt is a gen 4 card, with a b660 motherboard and an i5-12400 you should be able to use the pcie 4 slot without a problem. If you get blackscreens only in the PCIE 4 slot, it could be a problem with the CPU (I think the top PCI-E slot is connected directly to the CPU) or it could be a physical problem with the slot itself.

0 Likes

Hi Mitsui14, it's been good for about a week now. No issues at all. Used every day.

0 Likes
mume
Adept I

Not only older PSU, also newer one and the port on PSU for GPU, if you got more than 1 port.

0 Likes