cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

farske
Adept II

Sapphire Nitro+ 7900xtx freeze stutter in games, low performance.

Hello,

I'm at wits end

I have had this issue across many games, but mostly high demanding games.

I also get issues in WoW and have to run that at DX11 and get random driver frametime crashes, I have been posting and seeking fixes there too.

In this video when sitting in the menu it is as if my clock speed drops and the entire thing restarts and loads back up. You see it freeze for a few seconds, then boot back up.
In this video I notice that the clock speed, mem and voltage all drops during these freezes..

Question is, the symptom or the cause?

https://youtu.be/EM5_p8qMHwg

My System is:
Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X 24GB
13th Gen Intel Core it-13600k
32GB 6000 Mhz DDR 5 Kingston in XMP1
MAG MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi
W10
Corsair RM1000x
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/farske/saved/RvjtCJ

I built 2 machines, identical, one has zero problems.
The only difference is monitors, keyboard, mouse, in the above link thats specifically mine.

I have tried:
Reinstalling and updated GPU drivers multiple times across multiple driver versions. All using DDU and sometimes AMD Cleanup.
Updated chipset drivers
Updated BIOS across multiple versions
Tried both DirectX 11 and 12 modes in WoW
Enabled/Disabled Smart Access Memory
Disconnecting any and all non-essential hardware
Closing any and all non-essential software/applications.
This includes changing monitoring software, removing MSI, using Trixx, using HWinfo, GPZ, or just AMD.
Various clock states and tests
I've changed about MPU, TULPS, HAGS, in variations and states.
Custom resolutions with monitor to put higher blanking.
Dropping 144 to 120hz (which is really bad considering my 1080ti performed better at this point).
Single monitors, two monitors, new cables, hdmi, dp 1.4's etc.
I've purchased new cables, spent nearly an extra £200 on various bits and tests.

I tried an old 1060 Geforce in my system and WoW ran smooth and games ran well. That lead me to RMA the card once which fixed the static electrical lines (and old different issue now gone which was white bars and electric lines).

This card has introduced this new issue.. so I am leaning towards RMA again and chalking this up to bad lottery.

Any thoughts?

13 Replies
Qoojo
Miniboss

If you look in the event viewer, you will probably find more evidence that the amd drivers are crashing. Another user on here that recently got 2 bad Nitro cards in a row. I have Sapphire Pulse 7900 xtx that runs fine.

I suspect that the factory OC is not stable. If it was me, I would put the card at stock clocks to verify. But either way, I would return it for a different GPU. I don't think there is a simple setting to set default clocks like nvidia.

There is a chance that your system memory is not stable for it as well. A 2 minute OCCT full power test found an issue with 5600 ddr5 memory that memtest86 failed to find in 5 hours.

I assume that your w10 is the latest like 22h2 at least. You can verify with "winver.exe"

0 Likes
farske
Adept II

Yep.

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 Home 22H2

I am looking at RMA. I got some help here on reddit too. I go into more detail: https://oe.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/18vbgjq/7900xtx_nitro_sapphire_issues_with_freezing/

0 Likes
Robot-Gopher
Adept I

I hope someone can help you this is above my pay grade. i just got my rx 7600 and it always crashed but after i updated the drivers it has never crashed. the rx 7900 xtx is a beast of a card.

Try to set minimum clock speed in Adrenaline driver something higher than minimum say 800Mhz or perhaps a bit higher just to see what effect that has on the stutter.

0 Likes

I tried this.

Still stutters.

I even set max at 2500mhz, and still stutters sadly.

0 Likes

Check the power supply 12V rail at a molex connector with an accurate voltmeter to see if the rail sags below 12Volts under gpu load. I know it's a relatively new PSU and well reviewed but I never overlook checking the basics when troubleshooting as any component can fail at any time. Try switching the bios switch on the card to lower power bios. Always power down your system completely before changing the bios switch position!

farske
Adept II

Update.

I got a new PSU.
I formatted.
I installed Windows 11.
I used drivers 23.8.1

I had no crashes for about a week.

Last night I started crashing again.

So.. still issues!

0 Likes

Hi !  have you tried to play with  adrenalin overlay  and metrics disabled ?

I had some stuttering problems like yours with my 79XTX, somes fixes without overlay and metric enabled....

0 Likes
Angeluk
Challenger

Do you have a chance to test your system with another GPU? Does same problems appear?

0 Likes

No proboems.

0 Likes
stereo55
Adept II

My First Sapphire Nitro xtx was unstable from the get , and got worse in a day or so as to now not even boot up/show up on a full restart  ..... (basic death) ..... did an rma at Amazon and my replacement  card has been great ever since (the last yr) . RMA it .

0 Likes
sunlight1122
Journeyman III

The Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX is experiencing freezing and stuttering issues in games, resulting in low performance. This could be due to various reasons such as outdated drivers, overheating, or insufficient power supply. To resolve the issue, ensure that your drivers are up-to-date, monitor your GPU temperatures, and verify that your power supply meets the recommended wattage.

0 Likes

Certainly sounds like a power delivery issue or throttling vrm from over temp. RMA's just suck but maybe it's time to try it. HWinfo can monitor gpu throttling and determine the cause amongst 3 options. Power limit ,temp limit ,or current limit. Unfortunately that's as detailed as it gets but any of those are RMA worthy when in stock configuration.

0 Likes