cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hamguy
Adept I

Rx7800xt grey screen crashing and rebooting computer

constantly crashing to a grey screen and rebooting the computer while using a browser or playing games randomly.

never had a problem with my rx580 so I assume its the graphics card at fault.

MB: rog strix b550-f gaming

cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

ram: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 64GB

GPU: rx7800xt driver 23.10.2

PSU: Corsair HX850

monitors: Acer Predator XB283K, 4k, 144hz / Viotek FI24D, 1440p, 75hz

34 Replies
kabukijo
Adept II

.. hey.. check the gpu its Core clock and Mem speed in amd center.. and make sure it's at defaults speed..
YOu can use GPU-Z to figure out what the default clocks are and even Boost clocks..

That's the only reason i can think of why your system restarts... → hardware instability !

cheers,

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt

Everything is Default

GPU clock: 2254 MHZ

Boost clock: 2565Mhz

Default clock: 2254 MHZ

GPU: XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 7800 XT

No overclock or underclock done, on a fresh install of windows.

update: I just noticed my vram clock speed was hitting 2400Mhz and i disabled hardware acceleration in the browser and its down to less than 100mhz.

i keep the browser open and have discord on during gaming sometimes hopefully this solves the issue.

0 Likes

I have the same card.  Check the boost clock is not going past 2565Mhz.  I have it every time I reboot my boost clock is different.  Currently, I am manually setting my boost clock to 2565Mhz. Vram is 2438 Mhz but caps out at 2425 Mhz in game.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date?

Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com website?

How is the airflow thru your case? 7800xt probably generates a bit more heat than an RX580 .. plus consumes more power

Good practice to run separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU IF you are not doing that already

Are you running 2 or 4 sticks of RAM? IF 4, do you still crash with just 2 sticks installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)?

Did you run AMD's Cleanup utility (or DDU in safe mode) prior to installing your new GPU?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date? : Yes

Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com website? : Yes

How is the airflow thru your case? 7800xt probably generates a bit more heat than an RX580 .. plus consumes more power: 7800xt runs cooler and quieter than the rx580 since it has 3 fans

Good practice to run separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU IF you are not doing that already: it has 2 cables running to power

Are you running 2 or 4 sticks of RAM? IF 4, do you still crash with just 2 sticks installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)?: 4 sticks, i didn't check this 

Did you run AMD's Cleanup utility (or DDU in safe mode) prior to installing your new GPU?: yes

happened again twice while i was trying to write this reply.

current:

Gpu Clock speed:50MHz

Vram CLock speed: 304-874MHz

Voltage: 711mv

Total board power: 43w

Fan speed: 0 rpm

Gpu Temperature: 46c

0 Likes

Are you running 2 or 4 sticks of RAM? IF 4, do you still crash with just 2 sticks installed in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)?

is this some kind of issue on ryzen am4 if running 4 sticks of ram?

0 Likes
kabukijo
Adept II

Come to think of it.. grey screen.. = Video / graphics corruption !?

Bsod usually Driver conflict and/or Memory related !

Reboot= psu current and or Overclock problem ..

i suggest try everything at default/optimized .. Change psu.. even though its new and has sufficiant Wattage..

And as for software drivers, use / try / test with the bare minimum.. no fancy stuff installed ..

Also, have you done an thorough memory diagnostic via windows management ? 

Ussually needs to Restart to start the Test prior to windows boot.

If you passed all test, 99,99% your mem is good ..

Atleast my experience,

cheers,

MOBO : ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) / CPU: R9 5900x /GPU: 7800XT → RTX 4070Ti / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz XMP/ SSD: Nvme ssd Pcie 4.0 / PSU: 850 Watt
0 Likes

just did memory diagnostic: detected no errors pass

I put my computer parts in pcpartpicker: Estimated Wattage: 616W

I usually never overclock, i run default settings.

0 Likes

Just do what i did , and return the GPU → ASAP ←

Trust me, probebly is BAD gpu DRIver and/or GPU HW failure !!

Just fixed myself frequent ingame Stutter → very low 1% fps drops with 7800xt,

Have changed it for another gpu → Nvidia 4070 = Fluid gameplay → everywhere-anytime = BUTTER SILK SMOOTH game experience all the time 

0,00001% chance it's your DP/HDMI cable causing bad connection..

Make sure its properly connect in the ports.. 

I myself have had audio interuptions because hdmi cable wosn't properly seated anymore..

But normaly thats the first thing you've checked i  asume (thats how i am)  before posting  / creating any thread at all with issue regarding hw .

cheers,

0 Likes
Ionrage
Adept I

So to update

The most recent drivers has only reduced the crashing that occurs now.

They still occur in the same way before, either just watching something on youtube or playing games but the issue is highlighted more when trying to record or stream via OBS.

Streaming and esp with some games more then others will crash reboot the system within like 5 mins say.

This is still either using the cpu encoder or AMD encoder.

Is there a reason why AMD are being very slow with these driver fixes? 

0 Likes
AntoinePL
Adept II

What critical error are you getting in Windows event viewer ?

Mine is 41 Kernel power.

0 Likes

yeah this is what i got.

0 Likes
ulieq
Adept III

7000 series gpu drivers are a joke return it to store

0 Likes
kabukijo
Adept II

If an expensive GPU doesn't work like it should be , RETURN IT = Refund.

Returned it for an 4070, and IF for some reason the 4070 fails to work properly aswell in particular game i return it and keep using my 5 yo 8gb gpu.

Example, in powerDVD ultra i could use Video enhancements..  And as soon i upgrade to 7800xt , Enhancements are UNAVAILABLE .  

That ↑ right there is an driver and / or PDVD issue !

And thats the BIGGEST problems WIth NEWER RELEASED GPU's !!!!   The driver support / optimizations from day 1 are just HORRIBBLE !

Cyberlinks respond update gpu drivers LoL !!?  That's the next logical step you take before reporting this Lo_OL !!

Some of these suggestions are like talking to an 3yo kid that does it first baby reps , realy ?

cheers,

0 Likes

So there’s only 2 solutions ?

wait or RMA

0 Likes
Heat19765
Adept I

same here  41 Kernel power but this started few days ago **bleep** and the driver go corrupted 

0 Likes
albuquezi
Adept I

Hi, everyone,

I'm also having a similar problem: I have a Sapphire PULSE RX 7800 XT 16GB and I have two monitors connected via Display Port: one is a Gigabyte M28U 4k 144hz and the other an older Dell U2410, 1080p at 60hz. My crashes cause a grey screen on the main monitor (Gigabyte) but the computer seems to continue working, but it's frozen so I have to reboot (I also published a post on the thread about crashes with dual screens)

They are very infrequent and usually happen when I'm not gaming, just when I'm doing something simple with the desktop - copying files or word processing, and apparently random. So it seems it's not a question of taxing the system, but I can't understand what's causing them. They're really infuriating because you lose everything you were doing. It's like having a time bomb in your system.

The thing is that I have dual boot with Windows 11 and Linux Pop Os. And the same exact problem happens with both systems: sudden crash with a grey screen. So it seems it's not a Windows only related problem. With Windows I'm using the latest drivers with Adrenaline and with Linux I'm using the Mesa drivers.

Everything is updated: SO, Chipset drivers, graphic drivers. Nothing is overclocked all default values.

I still haven't tried to use only a monitor to see if the issue doesn't happen, but people on this post are using only one monitor I suppose.

I checked Sapphire website, and I couldn't find any BIOS update.

To try to help, here go my full system specs:
MotherASRock X670E Steel Legend + AMD Ryzen 7 7700X + Corsair 64GB (2x32GB - slots 1 and 3) 6200MHz CL32 Vengeance + Corsair RMx Shift 850W Plus Gold + Sapphire PULSE RX 7800 XT 16GB

Can this just be a driver issue or is it hardware related?

Any suggestions?

0 Likes

if you dont need the 1080p monitor ,unpluck it

0 Likes

I use it a lot for work. It's really helpful so I would rather keep it. 

0 Likes

Hello buddy, seems the club is getting bigger, have you tried to wipe out all AMD drivers With DDU and only install the drivers WITHOUT adrenaline 

0 Likes

Not yet. I've also written to Sapphire and they asked to try to use the system only with one monitor to see if the problem doesn't happen. I've been doing that, and so far so good. The system is rock solid with only one monitor. I want to keep testing some more days and then I ll try to get back to dual monitor and try to remove Adrenaline. As I've written I have dual boot with Linux, and there is no Adrenaline in Linux, but the problem still happens with dual monitors, so I'm a bit sceptic it's caused by Adrenaline (at least my problem). 

0 Likes
Heat19765
Adept I

Hi all the only thing is working ,no crash for 2 days is verified  the clock speed my is 2500 boost clock but the driver OC my card to 3080 ,if something happed i tell you guys

0 Likes

What did you do to fix it?

0 Likes
hamguy
Adept I

go to Event viewer/ Windows/ System logs right click clear, when system crashes and windows restarts go to Event Viewer/ windows logs/ system and look for an error symbol and a warning symbol then look at the timeline to see what happened before the error. it should give you a name of what went wrong to get a clue of what could be the problem.

I used to get a core error for my cpu but i corrected something, The GPU still crashes and goes grey screen but not as frequently. just have to keep waiting and look at event viewer logs to see what happened.

It also seems that i can't use hardware acceleration on websites or my gpu will crash, i disabled them.

0 Likes
albuquezi
Adept I

*sigh* yesterday, I had a grey screen crash with only one monitor connected to the display port, after four days of using it normally (6-9 hours a day) with work and gaming (Elden Ring, Doom). I was using Linux (Pop OS) and I was just listening to music on Spotify and was about to open a folder, when the screen went grey. I could still hear the music playing, then it started stuttering and the computer rebooted itself. And today, some minutes ago, I had another crash using Windows, watching a YouTube video. So now I'm trying to use HDMI instead of Display Port and see if there is any difference.

0 Likes

Wow so your getting it on Linux. That's not a good sign franky, I'm starting to wonder if it's just purely a hardware issues or hopefully firmware related. 

0 Likes

my computer just grey screen crashed again and i went to event viewer to see if it cought any errors.

--------------------

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 9

The details view of this entry contains further information.

---------------------

My guess is the rx7800xt is drawing too much power causing a voltage error on the processor crashing the system, This never happened on my previous graphics card the rx580 with a 750w power supply, The fact that I can't use Hardware acceleration without it using too much vram clockspeed and crashing should prove this.

My guess is some type of bad driver.

current temps

CPU : 45.3C

GPU : 46C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After placing the minidump content into chatgpt it is telling me this.

The error you're encountering is a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (bug check 0x9F). This bug check indicates that a driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

In your case, the specific driver causing the issue is UsbHub3.sys, which is related to USB 3.0 hub support in Windows. The failure occurred in the function HUBMISC_WaitForSignal.

Here's a breakdown of the relevant information from the crash dump:

• Bug Check Code (BUGCHECK_CODE): 0x9F

• Arguments (BUGCHECK_P1 to P4):

• P1: 3 (A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time)
    • P2: ffffc7015479ad70 (Physical Device Object of the stack)
    • P3: ffffb0025c49f810 (Functional Device Object of the stack)
    • P4: ffffc7015e8e8050 (The blocked IRP)
  • Failure Bucket and Hash:

• Failure.Bucket: 0x9F_3_UsbHub3!HUBMISC_WaitForSignal
    • Failure.Hash: {48c69e11-75d2-409c-f737-24f5cea8e890}
  • Driver Information:

• Module Name: UsbHub3.sys
    • Image Version: 10.0.19041.3684

It seems that the USB 3.0 hub driver (UsbHub3.sys) is having trouble handling a power state transition, leading to a system crash.

I will use Snappy Driver installer to update my drivers to see if it solves the problem.

to view the minidump file you can install this: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/

the file is located in: C:\Windows\Minidump

click the !analyze -v and look for an error.

Not sure I would trust the AI On this one to be honest lol. But yeah a Machine cache exception seems like one of the key issues. 

0 Likes
Ionrage
Adept I

So I have learnt that there is a pro version driver that should work on this card, sadly I have changed out the GPU to an nvidia card until the drivers sort themselves out for AMD to go back to.

But anyone can try test it?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/amd-radeon-pro/amd-radeon-pro-w7000-series/amd-...

This should be the driver in question, anyone can try it if they are still trouble shooting?

If this gets stable results from people, I will go back to the 7800XT

0 Likes

Ill try

0 Likes
btong1
Adept I

There is a serious problem with the 7800XT... i hope AMD will adress this soon.

Ionrage
Adept I

So some interesting testing I have done

I have installed my 7800XT back in, no AMD driver installed from the reinstall of the card so DDU at this point for people.

I installed the driver AMD Adrenalin 23.30.13.1 which isnt on the official WHQL driver page, but you can search for this.

I only installed the driver only, no full or minimum install, just driver.

So far the system was really stable, however a few hours or day later, windows 11 installed an old AMD driver in the background which caused a lot of driver timeouts and instability but no crashes, you can see if windows 11 does this by checking what driver was installed recently. Windows or AMD does not tell you it did this, world of warcraft is one of the few games that tells you if you are running an old driver so this is where I found windows did in fact install without permission a strange old AMD driver on top.

IF this did happen, DO NOT DDU it off, keep it but what you need to do is reinstall AMD Adrenalin 23.30.13.1 driver only again on top of it.

SO FAR, and this has been a whole weekend gone so far with like 20 hours in world of warcraft over this weekend, not a single crash or hitch.

This has been the longest time for stability.

If anything happens, I will let you know but I will ask if people can try my method or check if windows installed a an old driver in the background on top of your recent driver update.

Windows 11 has not tried to install another driver since its already flagged it self doing so.

0 Likes

getting constant crashes now, multiple times a in a day.

i'll be working on some project, opening a files or opening a program randomly grey screen in the middle of my work.

I turned off Hardware Acceleration on my browser but i can't do the same for some programs.

The VRAM Clock speed will jump from 30 - 2300~ and the voltage will spike up and down.

Opening the windows File Explorer will jump the vram clock from 39 - 359~

Opening Visual Studio code jumped from 30- 1500~

I think what may be happening is the clock speed is going above the cards limit and crashing or it may be a voltage issue...

XFX Speedster MERC 319 Radeon RX 7800 XT

game clock 2254 Mhz

Boost clock of my card is 2565 Mhz

0 Likes
hamguy
Adept I

I will be testing this, this may be an issue.

MPO is also a feature on Linux including windows.

0 Likes