cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fsviperkn
Adept I

RX6800 Same Setup Different Performance

I recently built two PC’s with the exact same parts. I loaded them up and downloaded Tarkov as I know it would be a great test of how the PC setup while perform when compared to other games I’ll be playing. However, one PC runs clean 120fps at 1080p with medium graphics with only a 30% GPU utilization if that. While the second build has ~30fps at 1080p, and even at very low graphics settings the GPU utilization is 100%. Since they had the exact same build and setup process I’m not sure what is the issue. What I’ve tried so far: 

• Checking for viruses and malware
  • Microsoft safe reboot 
  • Completely wiping the Pc and starting windows 11 manually again and installing the drivers from AMD fresh.
  • Checked AMD community for more solutions. 

Honestly I feel there should be no need to try and find a “solution” since one setup works and the exact same one doesn’t with absolutely no difference in the build and software setup. Could this possibly be a defective GPU? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. 

PC Parts for both builds:

• AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
  • RX 6800
  • MSI X670-p Pro Motherboard
0 Likes
1 Solution

Well I think I there is a much simpler solution to all this. He texted me asking what the black caps on the GPU are for LOL. I then took that to mean he was using the hdmi port on the motherboard instead of directly on the GPU. My understanding is that the motherboard hdmi would utilize any iGPU and not the full potential of the rx6800 we have for our build. So I’m confident when he plugs it in to the GPU directly that will solve the problem. I completely overlooked asking him that before because I just figured that’s what he was using. Thanks for the detailed replies!

edit: This worked!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

A PC build contains many parts and just because they are identical hardware doesn't mean one could not contain a bad part or be a result of improper installation.

Since you have 2 identical builds you are in a unique and ideal scenario to swap parts between them one at a time and see which affects the output you're reporting.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

Yeah I sent the Pc to my cousin once it was built and unfortunately its far away lol. I should have checked this before I sent it so that’s on me for sure. However, I’m going to have him send just GPU back and try it on my computer like you said to see what happens. If the GPU in questions runs great on my Pc what would be the possible next steps in troubleshooting this? 
Thanks for responding!

0 Likes

Doh! Lol yes that does complicate the whole swap parts plan. Well sounds like you already have in the works to try the most likely culprit, the graphics card. However if the card runs perfectly fine in your system the next thing I'd try is run something like PCMark or Sisoft Sandra benchmark on both systems and compare both sets of scores. Hopefully a low score on something like memory or drive will pinpoint the component with the issue.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Well I think I there is a much simpler solution to all this. He texted me asking what the black caps on the GPU are for LOL. I then took that to mean he was using the hdmi port on the motherboard instead of directly on the GPU. My understanding is that the motherboard hdmi would utilize any iGPU and not the full potential of the rx6800 we have for our build. So I’m confident when he plugs it in to the GPU directly that will solve the problem. I completely overlooked asking him that before because I just figured that’s what he was using. Thanks for the detailed replies!

edit: This worked!