cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

aldats
Newcomer

RX590 Quitting Under Load

I should preface that my OS is Pop!_OS 18.04 LTS, which is essentially Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I've recently built a new computer, and my RX590 has been quitting in the middle of playing games. I get solid performance and decent thermals, but the GPU will just quit and cause my screen to go black. Any audio on the system continues to play and I'm forced to restart the system.

Specs:
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: RX590 FatBoy
RAM: 2x16 Corsair LPX
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS 550 80+ Gold
HDD: Seagate BaraCuda 2TB
SSD: Kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5"
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX

I use the stock Wraith cooler for my CPU, and the fans that come with case.

While I realize it isn't that intensive of a game, Team Fortress 2 runs fine on the system until the GPU quits. Peak temperature is 60C with an average of 55C on high settings with ~150FPS. While the RX590 is a power hungry card, I'm not positive that it's my PSU. I'm left wondering if perhaps it's my drivers, which leads me to wanting to dual boot into Windows in order to see if it's just Ubuntu being Ubuntu. I have installed the amdgpu drivers, yet I was left with an error concerning the dpkg due to my kernel version. However, the GPU continues to quit even with the open source drivers that simply come with Pop!_OS.

I'm open to suggestions for further trouble shooting and solutions. I'm ultimately new to managing my own PC, as my previous system was just a measly gaming laptop. It's especially disorienting as I'm migrating from Windows 7.

0 Likes
0 Replies