cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RX 7900 XTX crashes randomly to blackscreen

Hello.

I recently upgraded to a Sapphire RX 7900 XTX Gaming 24GB GDDR and been having a few issues. Since the upgrade, I've been having computer crashes in the first 20 minutes of gaming, but sometimes later, it really depends on the game. In some games I had no crashes at all, in other it almost guaranteed to crash.

The crash behaves as following: The computer loses display output, the CPU DEBUG LED turns ON (meaning NO CPU or CPU ISSUE), the GPU loses LEDs, and all the fans (CPU, GPU, CASE) keep spinning. To reboot the PC, I must use the reset button, given that the computer does no answer to the power button.

Unfortunately this type of crashing leaves no log in both Event Viewer and Reliability History.

The crash frequency depends on the game. Games that always crash on the first 20 minutes:

• New World
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Apex Legends

Games that made the computer crash with lower frequency, but still happen:

• EDF 5
  • Table Top Simulator
  • Magic Arena

Games that never crashed:

• Metro Exodus
  • Against the Storm
  • League of Legends
  • Hell Let Loose
  • Any stress test that I throw at it

PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (factory clocks)

PSU: Fractal Design Ion Gold 850w

GPU: Sapphire RX 7900 XTX Gaming 24GB GDDR (mounted with 2 separate 8pin power cables)

RAM: 2x G.Skill F4-3000C16-8GISB NOTE: AMD SmartAccess Memory is on

I'll list the things I've tried to diagnose this problem:

Software:

• Disabled Freesync (still crashes)
  • Reinstalled Windows (still crashes)
  • Disabled every option on AMD ADRENALINE (still crashes)
  • Reinstalled Windows (still crashes)
  • Bios update (still crashes)
  • Driver ver 22.12.2 (still crashes)
  • Driver ver 23.1.1 (still crashes)

Hardware

• Two other GPU's on this setup (Nvidia RTX 3080 and GTX970), with no crashes, isolating the RX 7900 XTX as the problem;
  • Other RAM sticks (still crashes)
  • Other PSU cables and PSU slots (still crashes)
  • Other monitors (still crashes) Only one monitor (still crashes)
  • HDMI, display port (still crashes)

I'll add that the reported junction temperature is at max 90ºc, crossing out thermal shutdown.

Thank you!

1 Solution
neonpurrs
Journeyman III

Hey, I have a similar build as you and experienced a the same issue.

The games I was having this problem in were Battlefield 2042 and Dead Space. As you mentioned, I would watch my GPU LED's shut off, the CPU debug light turns on, yet all fans continued to spin until I used the power reset switch on my PSU to reboot.

I was so certain that it was a driver issue or a GPU defect, but I discovered one thing that I didn't consider before: I disabled core performance boost in the BIOS of my motherboard.

After that, I no longer had this issue! Hope this helps.

For reference, my build:

cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

gpu: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX

memory: x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 3600Mhz (XMP 2)

psu: Corsair RM1000e

motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (7C02)

View solution in original post

58 Replies

Can't play RDR2 either.

It shows artifacts often when looking around.

Then it crashes evey half an hour or so. I get black screen on one of my monitors, then the driver says it reset the tuning settings due to a crash, but I didn't even have custom settings.

How can this card  not work properly when it's going to be a year since it came out?

Found out that if I greatly underclock my card or set it to the "quiet" preset

it doesn't crash anymore in The last of us

I think the card overclocks more than it can handle and that's why it crashes so much

it goes to 2900

0 Likes
jerskiez
Journeyman III

I found a more permanent solution I found from another reddit post that I forgot to get the link for when writing this. manually setting your GPU clock speed with the custom setting under adrenaline> performance> tuning. you can select GPU and advanced settings to lock the GPU clock to 2500mhz and it will stop crashing. this can also be done with the quiet setting as I think was mentioned here and I only saw that post upon logging in to reply here. my GPU slider was set to 2940 mhz when I entered into the custom menu.

I can confirm this behavior with a couple logs from HWinfo where I saw 2401 mhz then the next reading up on fps drop I see a spike up to 2740mhz and the time stamp correlates with the Radeon driver timeout error. my settings in adrenaline before this was auto with no overclocking of any kind to my system and core performance boost disabled. I had just ordered a new power supply before I found this.

my crashes got so bad I crashed on windows login after a full ddu and struggled to get back to desktop to install adrenaline.

hope this helps someone else!

0 Likes
Crezekor
Adept I

OK I have maybe find the problem. I had difficulties with dying light 2 with constant crash after few minutes in game. However, I managed to play for over an hour. It seems it's  the hardware acceleration on discord which is the problem. I played without discord and I had no crash at all. To be honest, I almost hope it's not that because it's to **bleep** stupid. Tell me if it works for you too.

0 Likes

Yesterday I was playing Star Citizen and the game gave me a black screen and I closed the discord, could it be that the discord is frozen? Today I'm going to test without discord

0 Likes
Hopeinsilence
Journeyman III

I have Asus Tuf RX 7900 XTX video card and r7 5700x processor. I was constantly getting a timeout error while playing Battlefield 2042. I realised that this error was caused by the Discord application. I play by talking to my friends on the Skype application and I get no errors. I get no errors when the Discord application is closed.

0 Likes
DeviantPain
Adept I

I would like to say that I have been experiencing all of these symptoms now since the last update via adrenaline. 

Specs - Asus Strix X670E-E, 5900X3D, 64gb ram, Full Icue Link System, running 10 fans and a 360mm cooler, 12tb gen 4 ssd on board, 1500W PSU, and a Merc 310 7900XTX gpu.

I have had no issues with temperature at all. Cpu running at 39c. The crashes are persistent. Reinstalled OS (win 11 Pro 64bit) - crashed persisted today. I just entered BIOS and shut down everything not needed in AI Tweaker including core performance boost. Thus far no BSOD

However when the crashed happened - I would have to enter device manager to disable and re enable gpu to get it back up and running. Tickets and Bug reports have been filed to AMD. How ever AMD still very much needs to find a fix - nothing like shutting everything down to play a game - its unacceptable.

IT Creations System Integrator
0 Likes

BSOD yet again - seems AMD has something to fix - I have now tried all of the steps mentioned in this post and am truly at my wits end

0 Likes

Have you attempted to use the "clear CMOS" button on the back panel of your motherboard?  Does the system still crash if all settings are reset with "clear CMOS" and you boot into Windows with those settings?

0 Likes

This issue was resolved, turned out being Cablemod connector on one of the cables of all things - swappped back to bequiet psu to gpu cables problem resolved itself

0 Likes
amdFanboy1
Journeyman III

I was having an issue where when some games started, especially in full screen, they would go to black immediately.  The signal to my 4K TV would just cease to exist.  The GPU wasn't putting out anything.  I tried messing around with configs to force a different resolution, but the only thing that appeared to work was starting the game in borderless mode.....at first.  Then on a forum, I read that if you start the game from Steam Big Screen mode or whatever it's called, it'll work.  Sure as sh!t, it did.  So then that got me curious, what was going on.  In the end, it turned out to be an issue with Windows.  Windows has something called MPO, or Multi Pane Overlay.  It was some feature that is supposed to optimize things.  Naturally it doesn't work.  Here is an article about it with external links to fixes if you choose to go down this road.  I haven't had a black screen since, and it's an easy thing to try in comparison to changing your hardware or troublehsooting your chip set.:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-amd-nvidia-are-all-sleeping-on-windows-11-mpo-display-issues/

0 Likes
matstam
Journeyman III

I just bought a 7900xtx and had some random crashes with it as well. I have done just around everything you can think about to get this card running again. I then stumbled upon some one saying that the AMD: Adrenalin software is what is causing it to crash. I uninstalled it and reinstalled but made sure I only chose the AMD driver and not the Adrenalin nonsense.

driver only.PNG

Unfortunately now I can't setup my recordings the way I'd like to for gaming but that is something I can live with if it means it doesn't crash anymore. I'm now using MSI Afterburner as it doesn't forget my fan curves I've set for it. I'm not sure why these massively powerful cards have the option of "silent" settings... Everyone knows electronics die faster the hotter they are so this really angered me whenever I saw those fans stop spinning.

0 Likes
2coolazn
Journeyman III

I read one of solution in this thread and it seems to work for me. Boot in safe mode, ddu amd adrenaline driver, restart out of safe mode, install amd driver only not full install. I install msi afterburner and rivatuner statistics to monitor fps, temps, etc. I haven't had a crash so far and my fps is solid before it was laggy, and framerate dips periodically. I think it's because of the bloatware running in the background causing the crashes. I have 7900xtx aorus elite.

0 Likes
2coolazn
Journeyman III

The culprit is afterburner. If you have that installed, get rid of that **bleep**. That's the reason my game keep crashing to desktop and freezing. I had to reboot my computer. It's annoying as hell. Others from reddit thread also shed light on problem. I took their advice and my game is not crashing. First boot in safe mode, ddu your amd driver, download and install revo uninstaller, remove afterburner and rivatuner statistics, delete registry and remnants folders. You have the option to install amd full install or driver only. For full install you have boot back in windows and for driver only, you can install in safe mode. If you need monitor software, use fraps, fps monitor or other software to keep track of temperatures and performance.

0 Likes
Twist32
Journeyman III

Hello everyone !

I'm facing exactly the same problem. I've sent my CG through RMA process, but still same problem...

Someone found a solution ? TBH the idea of  @neonpurrs (Core Performance boost) did the trick for Cyberpunk 2077, but I've started a new game of Satisfactory... And crash after 1min. I think I will sold my CG but before, I want to be sure I tried everything.

The topic is quite "old" now, so I'm surprised that no one are still talking about that.

My build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU : Powercolor Hellhound RX7900 XT

Motherboard : B550M Mortar WIFI

PSU : MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5

Memory : 2x16G Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro C18, 3600Mhz (XMP disabled)

0 Likes
khoachu
Journeyman III

Running Ryzen 7800X3D with Windows 11 Home and using 7900 XTX, the new driver crashes my computer and I get black screen and AMD Crash Defenders pop-up a lot. Uninstalled Adrenaline and now just using driver version 31.0.14000.58004 from 2/2/2022 and everything seems to working normally. Haven't gotten a black screen crash in a few weeks. Attempted to put in an Nvidia 4070 Ti and return the 7900 XTX because the crash might come back again.

0 Likes
EX-MasterLevGa
Journeyman III

hello, 

the return on Windows 10 has solved my problem 

0 Likes
DYT副业
Journeyman III

try to remove the driver from AMD, DYT副业 

DYT副业:www.doyouta.com
雨天免费资源:https://www.tnina.com
0 Likes
alicek23
Journeyman III

Disable core performance boost in BIOS or try removing the AMD driver to resolve random black screen crashes with Sapphire RX 7900 XTX GPU. 

0 Likes