cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RX 7900 XT Reference Card runs HOT

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask/post about this, but this is a strange issue I've run into. Regardless of what game I play, even w/Adrenalin's undervolting preset, my 7900 XT (Reference variant) can reach a hotspot temp of 110 C, with the board's general temp being with 10-15 degrees lower than that. This concerns me, as I also have a separate Sapphire Pulse variant of the same model. (No, it is not a dual GPU setup.) The Pulse runs at 70-80 C hotspot temps with the same settings on games and with the same tuning on the Adrenalin software when it is in the same system. This rise in temps occurs within minutes of playing a game.

NOTE: I run my games at "high" settings for virtually every one, and try to aim for 144 FPS @ 1440P. I undervolt my system w/the stock settings found in Adrenalin (1075 mV, I believe?) (I do not run them with raytracing.) Also, my rig has fairly positive airflow, with only cables obstructing anything. It is worth mentioning that I have just recently bought this variant model, directly from AMD.

So, the question is, is there a problem with my card, or with something I'm doing? I feel 110 C w/undervolting is a bit much, no?

0 Likes
4 Replies
2DEZstb
Adept II

I've had a 7900xt (MBA) since it was launched and have never had temperature problems, no matter what game and graphic presets. I only play 4k and whether with an fps limit or without an fps limit... it doesn't reach 90 degrees. Even with -all in-,  overclocking, never had any problems.
I think there is something wrong with the card, send it back.
You can do another test with Radeon software, user-defined overclocking.
min 2415
max 2915
undervolting 1045mV
power limit +15
vram 2515
Stress test with Radeon software (the small icon at the top right)
furmark gpu stress test (benchmark)

you should get around 17500-17900 points

greetings

0 Likes
2DEZstb
Adept II

I have a 7900xt reference, since it was launched, only play 4k, presets high...never had any temperature problems. Even with overclocking it doesn't go above 85 degrees.
send them back.

greetings

If I am to return it, should I go to warranty services here, or the return portal on AMD's shop page?

0 Likes

Thank you. Your opinion is appreciated.

0 Likes