cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

reddoublead
Adept I

RX 7800 XT unplayable after alt-tab/?

This is really bothering me at this point. After a certain amount of playtime and/or randomly when alt-tabbing between fullscreen applications my entire system undergoes graphics slowdowns. Audio and processing are completely fine but anything on the display (games, Windows, apps) is capped at 3FPS and it's simply unusable until I slowly make my way to the restart button. Tried using AMD cleanup and reinstalling AMD Adrenalin, resetting all AMD settings, I've checked all my hardware and all these parts are barely 3 months old so I am certain it's not a problem there. Using MSI afterburner, RTSS, and HWInfo, all temps are fine, RAM usage is acceptable, but GPU core clock is jumping from 0/100 to 1500-2000 power draw is lowered likely due to the low clock speed or vice-versa. The GPU is powered by two (2) separate 6+2 pins for certain because there was a warning on the PSU manual that literally explained it wouldn't get enough power so I made sure to plug two separate cables into the PSU. I also checked stress testing and verified that the GPU is certainly able to draw 300+W so I know it has enough power.

Please give me some insight, I just can't stand restarting every 2-3 hours for no reason that I can see.

Parts list:
i5-13500
Gigabyte B760M AC
SP 32 (2x16) DDR4-3200
SP UD90 2TB M.2 PCIe 4.0
Gigabyte Gaming OC 7800XT
Cooler Master Gold 850 Modular

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RedDoubleAD/saved/#view=3fjqbv

0 Likes
1 Solution

AMD cleanup and Driver-Only Adrenalin install seems to have solved it, I guess I'll have to use a different software to capture replays.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Fetico
Journeyman III

Same problem here, same problem with 7800xt from sapphire.

0 Likes

Problem persists, but I used

https://github.com/RedDot-3ND7355/MPO-GPU-FIX

to disable MPO and ULPS.

I still get those hitches and 3FPS locks, but at least now they go away after 30 or so seconds so I no longer have to restart 1/5 times I alt-tab a window.

0 Likes

I think I was able to fix it. Updated BIOS and disabling PBO enhancement for cpu and now i dont have the problem anymore and +50 fps in a few games like LoL and Rainbow 6 Siege. Also I disabled high precision event timer but I dont know if it did something

0 Likes
432hz
Adept II

I had a similar issue related to Resizable BAR and the 24.x.x Adrenaline drivers. I disabled Resizable BAR in BIOS and clean installed 23.12.1 and it helped me.

I also had the "3fps" issue related to having some Windows apps running in the background that were set to use the iGPU via "Power Saving Mode" in Graphics Settings while also playing a game. Quitting the app set to use iGPU resolved the issue.

See this answer for details and screenshots: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics-cards/i-can-t-get-my-dedicated-gpu-to-work-as-the-primary-gpu/...

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

AMD cleanup and Driver-Only Adrenalin install seems to have solved it, I guess I'll have to use a different software to capture replays.

0 Likes