Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

GerryK61
Adept I

RX 580 PSU recommendations

Hello all!

Ok I purchased a RX 580 8gb 2048sp off Amazon. I dl the AMD 22.6.1 software to get it up & running.

The only game I play is World of tanks, And it was running it well for a while.  And it wasn't even HD settings. It was running good for about 3 weeks. I decided to try the auto over clock feature on AMD's software.

Well now the game began to crash too black screen. I tried going back to default, But it still happens.

I tried removing and installing both AMD software & the game. Nothing happened!

I tried a few YT recommendations, And some of those worked for a while.

From reading a few articles, I thought maybe my PSU is on the weak side since it only puts out 480watts 41amps single rail.  So the new psu i ordered puts out 625 watt 49amp single rail, which I haven't received yet.

I also updated my Monitor from a 22in 60mhz to a 27in 100 mhz gaming monitor.  But even with the new monitor WoT was running well.  

Then everything went south as soon as I tried Over clocking. 

I can surf the net with no trouble, But as soon as I try and play a game or watch a movie, The screen goes black and I have to reboot my comp.

I also tried lowering my GPU clock speed -10 and my Vram tuning from 1750 down to 1650, 1600 and 1550.  Like I say it works for a few minutes each setting,  Then black screen, yet I hear everything  in a game or movie in the background.

Any Ideas or help would be great appreciated...Since I'm a old fart with no computer savvy!

Thx and all the best in 24+ to you all!

0 Likes
9 Solutions
FunkZ
Forerunner

The AMD RX580 draws a max of around 185W stock - a quality 480W power supply should be sufficient assuming a similar mid-range CPU and rest of system.

Given that the card has seemed to operate just fine for you at stock speeds, and the issues occur when attempting to overclock, logic would suggest to leave the card at factory settings. Any overclocking, even the Auto Overclock feature of the AMD Adrenalin software, is not guaranteed to work.

If you're asking more for help in how to overclock, vs. how to keep from experiencing problems, I believe many would recommend Undervolting the GPU and max cooling to allow it to boost higher. Often the stock cooling does not perform well enough to allow much headroom for increasing voltage.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

FYI: The RX 580 8gb 2048sp is a AMD Chinese market rebranded RX570 GPU card.

You got that right!  I purchased the Soyo 580/570 card off AE for $95cdn. And after weeks of trying to get it running and even setting it back to stock settings it still goes to black screen, So I gave up today.

I contacted AE support & I will receive a full refund, And they will even pay to ship the card back.

I think there's more wrong with the card because it smells burnt, The fans are seized to the point where it takes force to turn them.

I've owned AMD products before, and never has so much as a glitch. So I hope My mistake in buying a  fake RX doesn't effect AMD.

I put my old GTX 1050 2 gb back in, and within a few minutes My comp is up & running perfect.  But it sure doesn't have the nice graphics the 580 does.

My next card will be an AMD...But I'll have to save up so I can afford the real deal!

GerryK61
Adept I

thumbnail_20240104_143512.jpgDon't laugh at my Prehistoric setup.

Asus M5 99evo MB

AMD 1055t OC 3.6+mhz

16gb DDR3 1333 ram Kingston hyper

Chinese RX580 8gb....Replaced with the old GTX 1050 2gb

Be Quiet fan cooler

WD SSD with a old Sea Sonic psu 480 watt.

Zalman Z9 plus full tower with 5 120 fans

Your RX 580 2048SP is not a fake AMD GPU card. It is just rebranded for the Chinese Market.

Sounds like your GPU card fans shorted out due to bad or damaged Fan ball bearings. The GPU fans should be very easy to turn without any resistance.

Glad they refunded your money for the GPU card. You can google your RX580 2048SP card and you will find out that it is actually a RX570 when you compare the specs plus there is a very article by Tom's Hardware on that specific GPU card.

Here is one Tom's Hardware article about your GPU card: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-580-2048sp,37933.html

The refund is still in Limbo!  I didn't want to post the name of the Chinese manufacture. But it's clearly visible in my pic. And it seems the Chinese 580 is only good for a Monitor stand.

1055T, classic AMD processor! Thuban - the original 6 core. I used to have a 1090T BE. Managed 4.7+Ghz with it, funny how clock speeds haven't really progressed much in the last decade.

@GerryK61  please turn on PM's so I can PM you.

Regardless of the PM situation Gerry I have a nice used Gigabyte RX570 4 gigabyt card that I no longer need or use sitting here I'd like to gift to you to replace that Chinese version that failed. I don't know if your in the US and international shipping can be a pain but I'd have preferred to handle this via PM. Some how if you can figure out how to proceed under the current restraints then I would be happy to do so.

13 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

The AMD RX580 draws a max of around 185W stock - a quality 480W power supply should be sufficient assuming a similar mid-range CPU and rest of system.

Given that the card has seemed to operate just fine for you at stock speeds, and the issues occur when attempting to overclock, logic would suggest to leave the card at factory settings. Any overclocking, even the Auto Overclock feature of the AMD Adrenalin software, is not guaranteed to work.

If you're asking more for help in how to overclock, vs. how to keep from experiencing problems, I believe many would recommend Undervolting the GPU and max cooling to allow it to boost higher. Often the stock cooling does not perform well enough to allow much headroom for increasing voltage.

FYI: The RX 580 8gb 2048sp is a AMD Chinese market rebranded RX570 GPU card.

You got that right!  I purchased the Soyo 580/570 card off AE for $95cdn. And after weeks of trying to get it running and even setting it back to stock settings it still goes to black screen, So I gave up today.

I contacted AE support & I will receive a full refund, And they will even pay to ship the card back.

I think there's more wrong with the card because it smells burnt, The fans are seized to the point where it takes force to turn them.

I've owned AMD products before, and never has so much as a glitch. So I hope My mistake in buying a  fake RX doesn't effect AMD.

I put my old GTX 1050 2 gb back in, and within a few minutes My comp is up & running perfect.  But it sure doesn't have the nice graphics the 580 does.

My next card will be an AMD...But I'll have to save up so I can afford the real deal!

Your RX 580 2048SP is not a fake AMD GPU card. It is just rebranded for the Chinese Market.

Sounds like your GPU card fans shorted out due to bad or damaged Fan ball bearings. The GPU fans should be very easy to turn without any resistance.

Glad they refunded your money for the GPU card. You can google your RX580 2048SP card and you will find out that it is actually a RX570 when you compare the specs plus there is a very article by Tom's Hardware on that specific GPU card.

Here is one Tom's Hardware article about your GPU card: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-580-2048sp,37933.html

The refund is still in Limbo!  I didn't want to post the name of the Chinese manufacture. But it's clearly visible in my pic. And it seems the Chinese 580 is only good for a Monitor stand.

GerryK61
Adept I

thumbnail_20240104_143512.jpgDon't laugh at my Prehistoric setup.

Asus M5 99evo MB

AMD 1055t OC 3.6+mhz

16gb DDR3 1333 ram Kingston hyper

Chinese RX580 8gb....Replaced with the old GTX 1050 2gb

Be Quiet fan cooler

WD SSD with a old Sea Sonic psu 480 watt.

Zalman Z9 plus full tower with 5 120 fans

1055T, classic AMD processor! Thuban - the original 6 core. I used to have a 1090T BE. Managed 4.7+Ghz with it, funny how clock speeds haven't really progressed much in the last decade.

@GerryK61  please turn on PM's so I can PM you.

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

0 Likes

Why would a public forum lock it's users out from PM's? Seems a bit counter intuitive to me but rules are rules?

0 Likes

Regardless of the PM situation Gerry I have a nice used Gigabyte RX570 4 gigabyt card that I no longer need or use sitting here I'd like to gift to you to replace that Chinese version that failed. I don't know if your in the US and international shipping can be a pain but I'd have preferred to handle this via PM. Some how if you can figure out how to proceed under the current restraints then I would be happy to do so.

Thanks so much for the offer. My nephew is shipping me out a old 560 he has lying around.  It should keep me going till I can afford a new build.

Thanks again for your kind offer!

0 Likes

No worries but I can be found on another forum under the same user name here.