cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Lytatroan
Journeyman III

RX 5700 XT main monitor goes black and second one freezes.

Hello, Recently, after downloading 22.9.1, My PC would randomly start crashing in random occasions. Each crash has the primary monitor of mine, an Asus 144hz monitor turn completely black. Turning the monitor off and back on yields a "no signal", while my second monitor (BenQ 75hz) will freeze up and be unresponsive. The only way for me to fix it is to hit the reset switch. I've tried uninstalling the drivers via DDU and reinstalling an older version. That didn't help, as 22.8.2 is also crashing like this. It usually happens during or after I play Garry's Mod, but that's speculation. I have no idea why it's been happening recently, as my 5700 XT also occasionally hard crashes and auto restarts my PC (main monitor goes green and second goes black). I'm unsure if my card is faulty, either way I am upgrading my card soon so I hope it won't be an issue. But for the mean time, I'll be stuck with it, so I need help.

0 Likes
4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Full PC specs?

..especially the make/model of your power supply

Are you running separate power cables to each power input on your GPU?

I ran the 5700xt for quite awhile in my rig with an old ASUS 24" 144hz 1ms 1080p monitor and an ACER 24" 60hz 1080p secondary .. it was a great card (ASRock blower style). Now my daughter runs an MSI 5700xt with 2 exact same 24" ASUS 144hz 1mms 1080p monitors .. zero issues

Both of our cards where/are powered by 850wtt 80+ Plat/Gold rated PSU's (Seasonic Focus Platinum, and an EVGA GQ Gold rated)

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Ryzen 5 3600

16GB DDR4 3200MHZ

512GB SSD

1TB HDD

Asrock RX 5700 XT Phantom Gaming D

I have a Corsair RM 2019 650W 80+ Gold, with a 2 8 pin cables 

20221001_213159-min-min.jpg

 sorry for the horrendous quality, 3mb upload limit.

0 Likes

first off, it looks like you're daisy chaining the power inputs instead of using separate power cables to your 5700xt .. might help  your situation, might not .. but its good/better to run separate power cables 

one video on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL7KIVI_hJg

You could also be suffering from transient power spikes that your PSU just can't handle ... maybe

Another video on that topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Another user reported similar issues and stated that doing a minimal driver install fixed their issue that was being caused by Wattman

Some 5700xt's had thermal issues. How are your CPU/GPU temps when under load?

Is  your motherboard's BIOS up to date?

Are you running the latest AM4 chipset drivers from AMD.com?

Are you able to try a different power supply? 

Have you checked your systems Event Viewer for logged system errors that might point to what is the root of your issue?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

My GPU temps go up towards 70 degrees C, CPU goes up to 55, Event viewer gives me a Kernel Power 41 error, Cannot try another PSU, I only have 1. Not sure if I have the latest Bios on my board or chipset drivers.

Edit: AMD says I have the latest chipset drivers, unsure about BIOS now

0 Likes