cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ost1968
Journeyman III

Replacement for HD6670 GPU

Hello all. Looking for some advice please if I may.
I currently have HD6670 1GB (2012) installed into ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 MOBO in desktop, used for CAD drafting and general use over two monitors - nothing particularly strenuous. The card itself is giving great service for my needs but the fan has recently started to rattle which means that it is likely that it will inevitably give up the ghost. All has been disassembled and is perfectly clean and the fan spins fine.
The fan is a power logic 92mm diameter and forms part of its own cradle screwed to its own heatsink design. I am struggling to find a fan replacement that will fit the heatsink or even a complete combo to fit together. The GPU card and fan attachment cradle are 95mm wide x 145mm long installed in a HAF X case, so plenty of room inside.
My question is, can anyone recommend a new AMD GPU that will be compatible with my ASUS MOBO? Nothing fancy, no gaming just enough to run my two monitors (Phillips 273E). I was thinking of something link XFX Radeon RX 6500 XT 4GB. Any and all advice gratefully received.

0 Likes
4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Just find a used RX 580 4/8GB for cheap or RTX 1060 3/6GB

Before the mining craze GPU gouging hit .. I picked up an RX 580 4GB ex mining card for $55 shipped that ran great for years in my daughters setup playing Rocket League, Fortnite, Strange Brigade, Minecraft .. etc  

I wouldn't invest too much into your old setup and a card like the RX 580 would run circles around your HD card and be a better fit for your rig over an RX 6500 that depends a bit on PCIe 4.0 for it's performance .. not as bad as the RX 6400 does though... and I think your motherboard is only PCIe 2.0?

Or maybe you can find a dead HD6670 of your model card that has good fans on it for even cheaper

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Corsair TX650 power supply - would the 580 be too much for it to handle?

As you say from the spec sheet the PCI is only 2.0 - I am not looking for a super performance upgrade, rather a GPU card that would work in my setup. A 6500 has been suggested as a replacement  over a 580 - what you you think?

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

Your power supply might limit what you can buy. Which brand/model/wattage is it?

Something like 390, 580 or alike could stress it way too much. Also to install new GPU's you need to have cables coming from PSU to GPU (do you have those cables in your current system? If HD6670 doesnt use them, they might be zip-tied to PSU, or you might not have them anymore?)

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GT-1030-vs-AMD-Radeon-HD-6670/m283726vsm7738 

I don't think AMD has anything in ~100€ class right now, but basically even an Nvidia GT1030 (make sure it is GDDR5 version) would already be a big step forward in performance. 

If your budget allows a 6500 and you can get a good deal, it is definitely a lot more powerful than either HD6670 or GT1030: 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Radeon-HD-6670-vs-AMD-RX-6500-XT/m7738vsm1762761 

Though considering the age of your system, you might want to think about replacing it. Something like a AMD Ryzen 5600G CPU already has more powerful integrated graphics than HD6670, uses less power and... New is new. Of course you would then need all the other parts too, like motherboard, memory sticks, likely an SSD/NVMe, powersupply and so on. 

0 Likes

Thanks for coming back to me. The power supply is a Corsair TX650 - presumably 650 watts? Does this sound sufficient? There are no cables direct from the PSU to the GPU.

I am a bit loathed to change the system as it isn't at present required to do anything more than CAD and MS Office.

Do you think the 6500 you have suggested would be a good exchange?

0 Likes