Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

FeddyKen
Journeyman III

Radeon 7900XT runs hot. (91c Hotspot)

Hi there, folks!

I recently got a 7900XT, ran DDU to remove all old nVidia drivers, and am loving the performance I am getting. However I seem to be running hot? I think? Through the adrenalin software, it looks like I'm running under "GPU Temperature" around 66c. However my hot spot is hovering from 88-90, and I peaked at 92c while playing Halo Infinite of all things. 

Ark definitely has been keeping me around 89, even at medium graphics settings. I have three fans pulling from the front at 75%, a 3 fan radiator on top and a fan on back pulling out. Adrenalin is set to run fans at 98% at anything over 85%. I guess my question is, is this normal? Should I be concerned? (there is ample clearence beneath the video card as well)

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies

Well it is below the 110 max hotspot, is it a amd ref. model or partner custom model?

Have seen reported variations of 15-25C on some models. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

A hotspot temperature of 92c is quite high, but it is not necessarily dangerous. The maximum safe temperature for the Radeon 7900XT is 110c.

If you are concerned about the temperature of your graphics card, there are a few things you can do:

Make sure that your case has adequate ventilation.

This means having enough fans to circulate air throughout the case and ensuring that there is enough clearance around the graphics card so that it can draw in cool air and exhaust hot air.

Use a third-party fan control program to set your fans to run at a higher speed.

This will help to cool down your graphics card and prevent it from overheating.

Consider undervolting your graphics card.

This will reduce the amount of power that your graphics card draws, which will also help to reduce its temperature.

If you have tried all of these things and your graphics card is still overheating, then you may need to contact AMD for support.

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes
Nytevizion
Adept II

Hotspot on my 7900xt is close to 100 when the card is stressed. Open case. Undervolted. Been that way from the start.

PowerColor reference model.

0 Likes

I have the same model and i got similar hotspot. I've changed the paste and it has dropped to 92 C. If you do this i suggest to use thermal putty or thermal pads with low hardness

0 Likes

By saying "..to use thermal putty or thermal pads with low hardness." I meant VRAM of course. 1mm of thickness and quite hard thermal pads like Gelid gp-extreme cause the GPU not fully touches a heat sink what in consequence brings a really high hot spot. 0.5 is too thin, so the best option is thermal putty here.

0 Likes
briblo1982
Journeyman III

You might want to consider turning on Radeon chill within the adrenalin software and v-sync.  it will really bring down the temperature on your video card

0 Likes