cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Revik
Adept II

R9 290 and HD7850 game crashing and timeout error

Hi. When I start any game, no matter how demanding the game is, after few seconds or minutes game crash and shows up driver timeout. I had first HD7850 for 3 years and i didnt have any problems with it. I build up a new pc with new motherboard and installed new drivers and that’s when the problems showed up. Then I bought msi r9 290 and still the same problem as before. Is there any way to solve it? I tried changing drivers version multiple times.

78777429-F18E-4ACD-9FC1-E677F95EA1C3.jpeg

0 Likes
61 Replies

Yes im on ryzen motherboard.

My cpu is Ryzen 5 1600AF and motherboard is MSI B450 Gaming Plus

@Revik 

Thank you for your response, you see I am fairly confident that this is your issue, since thus far I have only experienced it on my MSI B450 Tomahawk with my Ryzen 5 1600 CPU (until I did a clean install of 21.10.1, it was resolved) and not on my MSI 990FXA and FX 8350 as far as I could remember when I was still on 21.8.2.

I suggest trying anything earlier than the second half of 2021. Maybe even try the last driver of 2020. You can google something like "20.12.2 amd.com" and you'll find a link to that driver.

Let us know what you think.

Kind regards

0 Likes

@Revik 

Here are AMD Previos drivers for the R9-290 GPU card. From 09/16/202 (version 20.9.1) to 05/06/2021 (version 21.5.1)

If you need older versions then those above then go to Guru3D: https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

Today I’ve changed gpu from my ryzen pc to my old pc with i5 3470. On the older pc the gpu works perfect. There isn’t any fix for that, is it?

Hi @Revik 

That just further confirms it then, like I mentioned it is the combo of Ryzen CPU/Motherboard with GCN cards that causes the driver crash and has only been fixed now in the latest driver 21.10.2.

Unfortunately, @amd  abruptly dropped support for pre- RX400 cards with this issue persistent in 21.5.1/21.5.2 drivers.

In my honest opinion @amd has an obligation to fix this issue, since Windows 10 forces a GPU update at some point. The best you can do is to pause Windows 10 updates for 30days, then do a clean install of an older stable driver which might be a driver as early as the beginning of the year, so something like 21.1.2.

AMD seems to not mind of building a reputation of leaving things unfinished/unpolished at least from my experience. They mainly aim to keep up with current trends without a worry to leave older bugs building up like a rolling snow-ball.

The problem is this issue should be reported by the thousands to AMD before they will wake up, but every time I try a lot of people with fancy new Navi GPUs tell you to get over it, since older hardware has to "die". But not in this way, this is borderline unethical if it is not unethical.

Some people say they have had luck with this NimeZ Radeon Software: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/driver-mod-nimez-radeon-software-21-10-2-whql-gcn-legacy-pack-rele...

It is basically someone trying to keep the new updates live for the older Radeon GPUs. I am unfortunately not sure how stable/safe it is, but it should likely fix the lock-up problem.

Kind regards

0 Likes

I’ve downloaded these drivers that you sent me, and don’t know why but it installed enterprise drivers instead of adrenalin. Then I don’t see drivers app in the background and problem is still unsolved. I still have driver timeouts and they’re even more often than before

0 Likes

Oops my bad, I didn’t installed them properly. Now it works fine. If something will be not working properly i will tell you.

When the first crash appeared, it became more and more often and it shows almost at the start of the game, even on menu. Will this problem still happen on intel?

0 Likes

Hi @Revik 

I cannot say for certain, but my suspicion is that it happens mostly on Ryzen.

I cannot recall experiencing it on my FX 8350 and RX 480 when I was on earlier than 21.10.2 drivers. It happened a lot with my RX 480 and Ryzen 5 1600 on earlier drivers 21.10.2.

Therefore, I think it will happen much less on your Intel system. The only thing we can do is report this in the masses to AMD, or someone official that reads this should report it to AMD, because it is a unacceptable situation.

The only other option is if you upgrade fro your i5 to something like a i7 3770K, or if your motherboard supports i7 4770K with a BIOS update or something. But, first extensively test how often it happens with your i5. Gaming-wise you might even get more stable frame-rates on an i7 3770K/4770K due to slightly better IPC, etc.

From my experience this happens on RX 500 or older GCN cards with Ryzen systems.

0 Likes

When i played on i5 3470 and r9 290 for a while, there were no crashes. Now i’m playing on i5 and hd7850 for almost a day because i’m returning the r9 card and there’s no issues with the hd7850

0 Likes

@Revik 

Why are you returning the R9 290? It is a much strong card than the HD 7850. There is a very high possibility that this is the issue related to AMD's driver on not to the R9 290 itself.

0 Likes

Don't want to mess again with amd gpus. I'm just going to buy a gtx 960 and want to have peace until the gpu prices will be normal. If I won't return r9, I would have to wait until amd will fix it or at the worst scenario, buy an intel and spend extra money.

0 Likes

The fault could be in PCI-E link. Did you check if there are all SMD components around PCI-E slot on mobo and plug on GPU board? 
How is the new card?

0 Likes

Unfortunately, i couldn’t refund my gpu. Now I’m going to purchase i3 10100f and maybe that will work. On i5 3470 everything works fine, but on the ryzen it also started to bug all of the screen and everything was like some mixed textures in a game that i couldn’t even see a taskbar like in the

video.

0 Likes

Hi @Revik 

Maybe wait before you buy a new CPU, I am concerned it might be related to a newer technology like PCIe v3.0.

Since I am free of the driver crashing on my FX 8350 which is PCIe v2 and I am relatively certain your i5 3470 is also PCIe v2. I experience the driver crashes on my Ryzen 5 1600 which is PCIe v3.

Maybe try to test on a friends system who has a newer Intel CPU. Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Should I try the pcie 2.0 slot on my ryzen motherboard then?

0 Likes

Changing the pcie slot didn’t change anything. It still crashes everytime.

Hi @Revik 

Well, I still believe it to be related to the graphics driver and something on newer motherboards, since I think I recently saw a post of someone stating it happens on a 10000 series Intel CPU as well.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Could you show me that post please?

0 Likes

Hi @Revik 

It think this is the post where the person mentioned it happening with his/her new Intel processor:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/help-me-please-i-cry/td-p/496833

Kind regards

0 Likes

Also found out that actually my pc with i5 3470 runs gpu on pcie x16 3.0 so i don’t think that is motherboard fault.

DISCLAIMER : I am the OCCT developer, know this before you read what I'm saying

While I appreciate the idea of protecting the users against their own problems, I think I need to put some of the things you said right.

First, OCCT doesn't use furmark in its 3D test. It's another furry donut, yeah, but this test is fully made by myself, I've got the source code, and share nothing with Furmark, but the idea behind the stress test.

Next, frying a GPU nowadays is pretty tough. They're pretty well protected, and will throttle as soon as anything goes past the limits of the GPU. OCCT adds to that another safety measure, as it you can set a temperature threshold - if the GPU temp exceeds that threshold, the test will instantly stop. I'm adding another layer on this.

I'm even adding a third layer on it, as you can throttle my 3D test (unlike Furmark), and decide if you want it to run at 100% power, 50%, 74%... whatever you pick.

I've had one occurence of a fried GPU recently, to be honest. Someone edited their BIOS and removed the built-in protections, and ran my test. This resulted in a fried card. Whose fault is it ? I'll let you judge.

Using Furmark, or OCCT, doesn't void your warranty. That is pure imagination. We are both standard programs, following the rules of what a software can do, and there's no way this voids your warranty.

Also, jayztwocents is using OCCT in some of his videos Just as Linus is.

Finally, my test is used... by AMD themselves. It's one of my customers (and I'm pretty happy about it) And others manufacturers use it daily to test their computers before sending them to their customers, and use my 3D test extensively (I can tell by the bug reports I get sometimes). So yeah, using OCCT is pretty common.

So all in all, unless you don't go all the way in removing the protections on your GPU and in the program, the chances you'll fry a card are close to zero.

Now that I'm done with the "fry cards", let's get to the gist of the issue : How come a 3D test which is pretty standard in itself (i am only doing regular Direct3d / Shader stuff, nothing else) can make a card reach its limits ? The answer is simple ; your GPU isn't meant to work at full capacity. It's meant for games, or perhaps mining, with a 50 to 70% workload in mind. So, when you buy a card boasting 3 bazillions of pixels/vertex/whatever, in reality, you're never going to reach those values, as the card will throttle way before reaching this value.

Is it normal ? I do not think so. Should this happens on a CPU, we would all riot, as that would mean encoding a movie, or doing CPU intensive task, would make your CPU throttle. On GPUs, as we think a game is a very intensive task (which really isn't most of the time), we tolerate that as we don't reach those thresholds.

What if a game reaches those thresholds ? You would have a shiny, brand new GPU that costed you 1000$, and yet... cannot run a particular game. This is going closer to happening (looking at you, New World). Is it new world's fault ? HELL NO. They're doing normal 3D stuff. The hardware design is at stake here, make no mistake. They follow standards, and should be able to run any program  that uses those standards legitimately.  

Now, the problem is my test is too perfect, just as Furmark is. It is pure load, optimized in every way possible, and probably too much. Adding a limit slider was the first step in trying to gain a load that's closer to what the card manufacturers impose on you, and i'm currently working behind the scenes on a 3D test update to actually be able to automatically find the sweet spot.

I do that because I'm forced to - frankly, it's against all my principles as a stability tester for 18years+. But I am forced to follow the manufacturers in their moves towards a 50-70% load max. Having a way to start low, and find the sweet spot for GPUs .

Having OCCT being accused of being a Power virus is pretty common, i'm used to this to be honest. It's always the same discussion, it's always the same answer, sadly.

Do you want to know when OCCT started getting called a power virus/ being accused of frying cards ? It's in 2008, when my test found a flaw in an AMD GPU ( HD4870 ), where the power limit caused the reference design card to shutdown instantly. Calling OCCT a power virus was a PR move to mitigate the damage back then, as the card was advertised as "highly overclockable" at that time, when my test showed it wasn't. When you're saying this, you're actually relaying the PR opinion from back then... really. When we've come to terms now, and AMD themselves are even using OCCT internally

0 Likes