cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Chato_v2
Adept II

PSU for AMD5 platform and Sapphire Nitro+ 6950 XT

I am using a Corsair RM850x PSU, I was wondering if this PSU would be enough to handle my rig. Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Mobo, R9 7900x, Gskill 32gb of RAMM Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT AIO cooler and of the beast Sapphire Nirto+ 6950 XT GPU. I do not overclock my rig so I am hoping this PSU is good or do I need to get a higher wattage PSU. Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution
ThreeDee
Paragon

I'd say you are right on the cusp of "enough" .. IF you experience black screens or PC just shutting down while your setup is under load and what not .. THEN look into a 1K unit 80+ Gold or better rated. Check hardware reviews before purchasing anything

IF it was me .. I'd get a 1000wtt PSU and keep the 850wtt for a back up 

ThreeDee PC specs

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

I'd say you are right on the cusp of "enough" .. IF you experience black screens or PC just shutting down while your setup is under load and what not .. THEN look into a 1K unit 80+ Gold or better rated. Check hardware reviews before purchasing anything

IF it was me .. I'd get a 1000wtt PSU and keep the 850wtt for a back up 

ThreeDee PC specs

Thank you sir for the reply I will use the 850 for now until i can afford a 1000w but will definitely get a 1000w psu soon

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I would go with a 1000w 80+ Gold or Platinum, if I were to put that build together because the GPU is nearly 400w discounting transient spikes, and the CPU can max at 170-230w. 

This is all coming from someone who doesn't completely understand power draw. I just think the math 400w and 200w that is 600w and transient spikes could reboot the PC. 

Then again I just saw someone running a similar build on a 750w unit. This even for me is a confusing topic. I just go with the overbuilding approach. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Its possible to run on 750watts, barely... I do have one 750W PSU and I do not recommend it at all, my watt-meter told me that lol

You may need to use the CPU with EcoMode or limit it using lower PPT values, so the 6950XT has enough headroom to push up those GPU bound games. 

With a low wattage PSU running always past its efficiency point and near the limit, power delivery wont be stable and clean, low performance or an unstable system can be expected. 

Before the zen 7000 lineup, 1000watts was Overkill. Now, not so much, and they are not that expensive than they used to be.

The Englishman
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

@ThreeDee I didn't refresh the page to see you replied before I posted. @Chato_v2 This person probably knows more than I do. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

B450E F and 7900x?

Someone is going to pay microcenter a visit

: - D

The Englishman
Koyote7667
Challenger

Im cheap... but will always get a nice PSU. Always. 

(Seasonic titanium 1000 here, but zero plug, there a a billion killer psu's out there, and with the way things are going, power munching wise, not to mention, a psu can go from build to build to build for years,...  i dont mind spending on a decent one) 

The advice is at its core, the most valuable! Don't cheap out on PSU.

Although.. Just one thing, having a low wattage is not always the cheap option, specially if compared to a really cheap brand with high wattage.

Having said that, you need to plan ahead. Are you a guy that buys mainstream components like a 5700X; 7700X CPU's and pair it with a GPU like 6750XT, then a Gold RM750 is already way overbuilt and You will be better served than having a Corsair CX850 Bronze.

Are you into 7950X? Then You may want to think on a 1k Gold or higher depending on the GPU.
Is it a 7800X3D and a 6950XT or a future 7800 GPU (when it launches?) then a Titanium 850 will do just fine.

At this point, my recomendation is, get a 80+ Gold or higher and plan ahead.
.... I didn't knew at the time that I would be having the 7950X or I would've bought the RoG 850Watt THOR Titanium...

Or ask this amazing community for advice

: - D

The Englishman