MikeSavad
Journeyman III

Photoshop doesn't recognize gpu

i built a brand new machine using a

ASrock z790 steel legend

intel 13700

amd radeon rx 6800xt

windows 10

i forget the name of the ram, doesn't really matter.

i have an old copy of photoshop cs5, it worked fine with my older geforce card. but no matter what i do, photoshop doesn't see the card. it actually does see it, in system info it shows the card, but not the memory? i only have a week or so before i can send this card back, but i don't want to, i think the memory will help me in the future.  on another machine photoshop recognizes the geforce 3060, which is about the same age as this card i think.

i've tried every idea i can think of and saw on the net. 

just found out about that little switch on the top that doesn't seem to do anything

tried different cables on a screen thinking that could be it

changed to high performance mode in windows, but cannot find it at all in adrenalin (23.4.1), even though sites say its under advanced, i can't find it at all, and it may even be the solution.

installed the amd drivers over and over again, tried the pro, tried the automatic, tried it without, tried it in safe mode, tried it in the old windows 10, installed 10 again (for a different reason than this) still no. 

turned the driver on and off 

this one is actually interesting, because this morning i found out that google maps didn't see my card either and wouldn't turn on. only when i went into the bios did i turn on the internal video, did google see it. but not photoshop. 

i forget what else i tried but anything i've seen online, on youtube etc i have tried. 

the only thing that works right now is using something i found online a vmware, opengl32.dll that emulates what it needs to turn on the other functions but its slow, it drags on the stamp tool even on basic. and chokes on everything else. 

i ran out of ideas. everything else see's this card, not adobe. and i've read all sorts of issues of it not seeing the gpu on all versions and video cards. so i'm not sure even changing the card would work at all. and i'm not sure if changing the version would help either. 

i tried installing the redistribution c++ thing just in case, reinstalled the directX stuff. i'm not sure if there is an opengl thing i can download that is apart from windows. 

i've ran out of ideas, i can't figure it out, seems to be adobe based, as it happens to others for premiere too. gpuz see's it, i had an opengl investigator and it saw it.  any one have any ideas? should i downgrade this card and get a geforce 3070 i think is the affordable equivalent?  it would let me use AI if i wanted too with the nvidia. but its a pain to return things. 

the only thing i didn't try is to remove the board, and install  the old one and see if it see's that, then i'll know its not the card. but its a pain to do that just for checking. 

----Mike Savad

0 Likes
1 Solution
Soln
Adept II

I'm in the same boat. AMD told me, the new OpenGL from mid 2022 driver is the reason. Last working driver for Adobe CS5 was for me: whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.6.1-win10-win11-june29 if this helps.

Don't think this will ever change back. Even thought about changing to Nv....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
johnwood
Journeyman III

It seems like you have tried a lot of troubleshooting steps already. However, there are a few more things you can try:

1. Try updating Photoshop to the latest version. Older versions of Photoshop may not recognize newer graphics cards.

2. Check if the GPU acceleration option is enabled in Photoshop. Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and check if "Use Graphics Processor" is checked. If it's already checked, uncheck it and restart Photoshop, then check it again and restart Photoshop. 

3. Try resetting the Photoshop preferences. Go to Edit > Preferences > General and click on the "Reset Preferences on Quit" button. Then restart Photoshop and see if it recognizes the graphics card.

4. Try creating a new user account on Windows and see if Photoshop recognizes the graphics card in the new account. If it does, there may be a problem with your current user account.

5. Check if there are any driver conflicts. Go to Device Manager and check if there are any warnings or errors related to the graphics card or its drivers. If there are, try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.

If none of these steps work, it may be a compatibility issue between your graphics card and Photoshop CS5. You may need to upgrade to a newer version of Photoshop that supports your graphics card. Alternatively, you can try switching to a different graphics card that is known to be compatible with Photoshop CS5.

0 Likes

i don't want to update to that all payment plan unless i very much have too... but from what i understand, it happens to both nvidia and amd and on the newer versions as well. 

the gpu sections is totally grayed out.  there are no boxes.  

i reset the prefs a few times. nope. fun if that worked but no.

i don't think it would be a user account thing, and that also confuses my login. i tried it in safe mode too. didn't help. 

driver conflicts is the only real thing left beyond installing that older version that the person further below said. it was weird that when i enabled the onboard video, the sound uninstalled itself. and did it again when i removed it again. not sure what that was about. and i'm still not sure what the noise canceling thing is for, or why its on a video card.   and if its possible that photoshop see's the video card as a sound card?

i plan on changing the sound card anyway, so i doubt this will work but it could work. my motherboard's sound is really lacking. 

----Mike Savad

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

That software is very old. I would try setting compatibility on the .exe file to win 95/vista/7 or something like that. But if it is looking for some pattern in GPU string, then that will probably not help.

I read something that says 6800 does not support OpenGL 10-bit, so if you are using 10-bit color, that could be your problem.

0 Likes

i tried that one too, all sorts of compatibility.   i do have (i think) a 10bit screen (they all call themselves 10 bits so its hard to tell now). i guess that could be it. its weird that opengl doesn't do 10 bit though. i would think that this card could handle something like that. 

----Mike Savad

0 Likes
Soln
Adept II

I'm in the same boat. AMD told me, the new OpenGL from mid 2022 driver is the reason. Last working driver for Adobe CS5 was for me: whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.6.1-win10-win11-june29 if this helps.

Don't think this will ever change back. Even thought about changing to Nv....

0 Likes

its worth a shot, i'll have to try it later on, provided it doesn't auto update itself. i'll have to give it a try later today, hoping it works. weird that the later versions would stop making it work. i thought about switching the card also, but after a lot of reviews, this card is still better and people from that side is switching to this card. and i don't think it will help because people from both sides complained it hurt photoshop of all versions. 

----Mike Savad

0 Likes

that was the solution! now it recognizes, it was opengl the whole time. now the question is, where is the opengl file that it uses? so i can back that file up, so windows doesn't replace it with anything. i doubt that much would change if i didn't update the video driver.  photoshop seems to look in its own directory first before where ever the other opengl is located. i only know this because the virtual version works by putting it into the main directory. 

if knew where it was looking, i could copy that into that directory and it should be safe there. i think it would override anything new.

----Mike Savad

0 Likes