cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Migoel79
Adept I

New 7900 xtx crashes when launching games and blackscreen.

Hello everyone first time amd gpu user here, I decided to upgrade from a asus rog strix 1080. The issue I am running into is that as soon as I play games the screen freezes then goes to a black screen and I have to shut my PC by the power supply switch. Here are the specs.

ASUS rog strix x470-f motherboard

Ryzen 2700x

3200 corsair vengeance PRO ram

Corsair HXI1000 platnium PSU

Aorus Radeon RX 7900 XTX elite 24G connected with three individual vga cables to the PSU

I originally tried the gold rated evga 1000w psu thinking that was the issue but then switched to corsair, also with some of these crashes the RAM light flashes on the motherboard but the thing is I just replaced it and it boots up fine with each stick by itself. Earlier in the week I found out I had bad RAMM since once stick would not boot up hence why I bought the new vengeance pro ram. I thought it was my hardware being too old but when I first replaced the ram on 1/9/2023 I was actually able to play world of Warcraft for around 40ish minutes before it crashed again then the next crash occurred in 20 minutes then instantly afterwards when I tried launching the game. The temperature stays under 54 C when I was able to play so not quite sure. I ended up wiping a spare hard drive and did a fresh install on windows later that night but it ended up crashing again. 

I really love this GPU but switching to AMD has been a headache so not sure what else I can do at this point I've removed the drivers with DDU multiple times and I even tried going back to my 1080 but even that is unsuccessful the driver won't load. Is it possible I have a bad motherboard? I'm currently waiting for some parts from Newegg to arrive so I can switch to AM5 that way I can rule out my cpu and motherboard and then determine if it is the 7900 xtx. I apologize for the huge wall of text but any insight with this issue is really appreciated. 

0 Likes
8 Replies
uncyler825
Adept III

If you have an AMD Radeon RX 7900 Series graphics product, and the BSOD (error code: DPC_Watchdog_Violation. caused by amdkmdag.sys)、stuttering、blackscreen or flickering screen problem occurs for unknown reasons, you can refer to this article:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/for-rx-7900-series-driver-with-refresh-rates-above-60-hz-may-cause...

You can try adjust refresh rates to 60Hz and turn off variable refresh rate feature, disabled AMD FressSync from Radeon Settings.

Notice: Connect 1 monitor only.

This ways maybe can solve your problem.

0 Likes

Tried these configurations still crashes my monitor just keeps going back to saying display port and black screen waited to see if it would give a BSOD but nothing. The thing that gets me is while my computer has a black screen you can hear discord working so its just a display issue and the driver just failing.

0 Likes
Migoel79
Adept I

The last item in the event viewer before the black screen said this:

Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Which I'm not sure how that's true since it was stuck in a black screen for over 20 minutes before I decided to shut it down.

0 Likes
Migoel79
Adept I

just installed my new parts and it crashed as soon as I ran userbenchmark

New specs:

7600 non x

asus rog strix 670e-e motherboard

6000 ddr 5 corsair ram

1 tb western digital nvme

I got the watchdog BSOD at least this time 

Migoel79
Adept I

EDIT: Got tired of the constant crashing and not being able to play ended up plugging in my 1080 and going to return the 7800 xtx not worth the hassle. I guess the extra 600 dollars is worth it when it comes to NVIDIA.

0 Likes
Migoel79
Adept I

Edit: Ended up going and got a 4070 ti and my computer with is new parts is running perfectly so it was either the 7900 xtx or the drivers but I'm returning the card.

gman794
Adept II

I’ve been having similar issues with my 7900 XTX. If it was your motherboard’s fault then it would have done it with your previous GPU. It is driver related. 
you’re definitely not the only one. 

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Try disabling freesync either on monitor or in radeon settings. There are a couple threads going around about it and amd is looking to fix the issue.

0 Likes