cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cyman
Adept I

My GPU is not used properly by DaVinci Resolve and renders at 8% usage.

Hi! So I have a RX 5600 XT and when I export a video in DaVinci Resolve Studio (I tried every tutorial to make it use my GPU), it only uses 25% of my CPU and 8% of my GPU and does the job very slowly. I tried switching from PRO software to Adrenalin and when I switched it back to PRO it used 20% and rendered faster for like 5 seconds when I started exporting/rendering. I have an M.2 Intel Drive and 16 GB 3200 Mhz ddr4 ram. I am also running the latest version of Windows 11.

1 Solution
cyman
Adept I

Alright, so I did some testing with my friend's RX 5600 XT. It seems like this GPU is not able to work with Davinci at all. Too bad, as for my gaming purposes, it did a great job. I saw that the new 6000 and 7000 series improve upon this problem so maybe I will consider them for the replacement. Johnny, thank you for the answers and lucas, I will remember not to talk to you in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

The usage of CPU and GPU depends a lot on what you do. 

If you have mostly b rolls, j cuts it and light transictions will have more cpu usage, if you use a fair amount of vídeo effects its GPU. While rendering, notice how temps and completion time change dramatically. 

Also, when on the timeline you will see a small blue (cached, processed) or red bar (not cached, processed) when its more gpu intensive.

Good luck 

The Englishman

No matter what I do, it stays at 8% usage. So specific. When I had a GTX 1060 and was rendering something, it always went to 100% while rendering and oscilating while on the timeline. On my sister's RTX 2060 it is the same story: fast rendering while always using 100% or the full amount of the gpu.

It's just using 50% of my CPU and nothing else it seems. I will try using older drivers.

I also don't use the cache thingy, never have, just have proxies when I need it to run faster.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Being locked at 8% is immensely strange.

What I was trying to say before is... in the picture bellow I have rendered two distinct portions of the timeline.
The green is much more GPU intensive and Blue CPU intensive.

When you see the where the load is, you'll notice that it shifted from low CPU to high CPU and high GPU to low GPU (like just 6% usage).

Please be sure that you are trying to render a section that is really GPU intensive or you won't see much use.

Also beware that nvidia is probably using CUDA and the AMD is OPENCL, I can't be sure what this may affect GPU usage on Davinci. I'm not that pro.

johnnyenglish_0-1686957026425.png

The Englishman

Thank you for the replies! I find it weird that every time it jumps up to 100% at the beginning and renders really fast like 4 seconds in a second or something, then it goes down:

I thought about the encoder not being supported by AMD or something but then why does it does the job perfectly at the beginning tho? I've got older drivers now and it seems to be fluctuating more between 8% to 15%. I'm also attaching a picture of what I rendered, it has text and a logo image:

cyman_2-1686983484271.png

cyman_3-1686983530523.png

0 Likes

From what you posted, that timeline is mostly video and text, not really GPU intensive.

Do you use any open fx, fusion effects or color grading? Those are much more GPU intensive.

Is your version the Free version or Studio?

The Englishman

I use color grading and some fusion transitions. I have the studio version. At this point, I am going to test it out myself because I have a friend who also has a 5600 XT so I will compare them. I think GPU acceleration in DaVinci should use 100% of your GPU no matter what you do. That's how it was with Nvidia and it was very fast. I am probably going to buy a 3070 or 4060 if this GPU is not capable of that. 

Also, I still think something is wrong because timeline playback is also only using my CPU and sometimes it is so slow I can't even see the thing I wanna see smoothly. Not even a 1080p Tik Tok.

0 Likes

I'm not sure if you're mocking me or you have an actual problem yourself.

0 Likes
cyman
Adept I

Alright, so I did some testing with my friend's RX 5600 XT. It seems like this GPU is not able to work with Davinci at all. Too bad, as for my gaming purposes, it did a great job. I saw that the new 6000 and 7000 series improve upon this problem so maybe I will consider them for the replacement. Johnny, thank you for the answers and lucas, I will remember not to talk to you in the future.

0 Likes

I'm sorry, that I was not able to help but every gpu, RX480, RX5600XT, RX5700XT, RX6750XT and RX6800 all have a perfectly smooth timeline the only diference is rendering times of course. Never did notice a vastly different experience on the timeline, except when heavy use of fusion is used, like above 25min full of effects.

One remark though, DaVinci only works best with WHQL to me, other drivers will either not detect OpenCL, awfull timeline or crash.

You can even see here rendering times are not that different between RX480 and RX6800, and if you use H. 265 instead of H. 264 its half of the time! 

Screenshot_20230622-091425.png

The Englishman
0 Likes