cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

steelnw
Journeyman III

My ASRock 7900 XTX keeps crashing independent of driver.

Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

CPU COOLER: Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE

GPU: ASRock Radeon 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 BLK C30 DC -32GB

SSD: WD Black SN770 SSD - 1TB - M.2 2280

PSU: Corsair RM1000e V2 (ATX3.0) 120mm

CASE: Corsair 4000d AIRFLOW TG

MotherBoard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI

FANS: The base fans that came with the case minus one that i removed and replaced with two "be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm". The configuration is 2 of the "be quiet!"'s in front sucking air in, and the one base fan exhausting in the rear.

So in January this year I just built my first computer with the help of a friend who has built before, and it went smooth, started first try! We downloaded the necessary drivers and he changed some settings in BIOS which had to do with RAM and fan speeds. After having it for some time now I've noticed 2 main issues.

1. (Main Issue) My GPU drivers crash, on most of the games i play, feels like it is random, though I have not monitored statistics while it has happened.
  2. (Secondary Issue) Sometimes when I first start up my computer, it starts without any display. There is a flicker which looks something like the image I've attached, but to a much lesser degree, it only covers 1/8th of the screen i would say. So I have to restart the computer to get it starting with display, and even then the GPU is disabled in Device Manager and AMD Adrenaline won't start. This happens less frequent than the crashes.

1. The Crashes

What happens when it "crashes" is that the display on both monitors go black, I can also hear the fans in my computer completely or almost stop. After the "crash" is finished Adrenaline tells me there was a driver timeout. The issue seems to happen at really random times during gameplay, and I have with some success reduced/prevented crashing in some of the games I play. The display sometimes flickers like the example on the link i attached

Here is a list of the games where it crashes and where it doesnt, ranked in the order of frequeny of crashing.

Games where it crashes

1. Trackmania 2020 (Crashed very frequently, turned down some settings in an attempt to salvage, worked to an extent)
  2. Helldivers 2
  3. WoW Classic
  4. League of Legends (Teamfight Tactics and ARAM game mode)
  5. Dragons Dogma 2
  6. Dune: Spice Wars

Games where it either doesn't crash, or I can't recall it crashing

1. Minecraft
  2. Battlefield V (Small sample size)
  3. Fall Guys
  4. The Finals (Small sample size)
  5. Fallout 4 (4,5 hours of gameplay)
  6. Kingdoms Reborn
  7. Rocket League (Small sample size)
  8. EA Sports FC 24 (Many hours of gameplay) (I am very unsure if it has crashed here or not)
  9. Rust
  10. Rainbow Six Siege (Small sample size)
  11. Balatro
  12. Supermarket Simulator
  13. Destiny 2
  14. Pummel Party

I usually play games with Firefox open on the other screen, and on Discord. Mostly YouTube on Firefox. I've tried tinkering with some Adrenaline settings, such as fan curve in hopes that it might've been a cooling issue, would like recommendations for optimal cooling.

Here is a list of fixes i've tried

• New drivers, currently on 24.4.1
  • Adjusting fan curve in adrenaline
  • Turning off Windows updating drivers and wiping PC clean from older drivers
  • Turning down settings in game (Which is not why I wanted this card)
  • Reducing voltage on the GPU to 95%
  • Probably something else but I can't recall.

As I said it feels random, I don't know how to reproduce it.

2. Start up issues

This one is pretty short, In the morning (Mostly colder mornings) I have to start my PC atleast 2 times to get it working properly. The first startup is really slow, and once I see the PC is booting, the display flickers and the screen goes black and says it has no signal from GPU. I then restart the computer using the power button, and it boots up with the built in graphics on the 7800X3D. I then check Device Manager and it says that my GPU is disabled, so I try to reenable it and sometimes it works, other times I have to reboot the computer and then it works properly. I don't know what causes this nor do I know what to try to fix it.

So this was a rundown of my issues, I've looked online for solutions but none had my specs or same GPU so I am desperate for any help. Please reply if you need any more information, and I will try to provide it.

Image attachment

f2823f3c-226c-4270-b2c3-ea152e9985d3.jpg

0 Likes
6 Replies
Lars890
Journeyman III

I also experienced crasches like the once you described in WoW. (Got the RX 7900 xtx GPU)
I also trouble shooted kind of exactly what you did.

Then I started to run the game from Adrenalin and after that I had no more crashes.

Adrenalin launch.Adrenalin launch.

Dis you only have the crashes in WoW?

0 Likes

What do you mean?

0 Likes
chu_paka
Journeyman III

Good day, I dare say that you have a gigabyte motherboard? I suggested this because of the double start of the bios. Try to cool your graphics card more by increasing the RPM of the GPU fans and increasing the power limiter +5-10% on the GPU.

0 Likes

Oh I forgot to add the motherboard, I have a MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI

0 Likes
steelnw
Journeyman III

0 Likes