cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Physix_13
Journeyman III

Killing display port cables

Hi, I recently got a 6800xt and I'm having an issue where it is killing display port cables.  From the best I can tell it happens when loading games and my computer gets hung up. Its happened twice now and I don't want to have to keep buying new display port cables every time this happens. As I briefly said earlier when loading a game and both my monitors  freeze I restart my computer using the restart button on my case. Then after restarting my computer the monitor that had the game on it no longer works. I narrowed it down to the display cable be junk both times and I'm not sure what to do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
4 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

I find this hard to believe. I  have had one DP cable go bad in a decade or so (it was a dell).

What was your previous GPU and what procedure did you follow when changing vid cards?

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Both of the cables I deemed as killed no longer work in anything I have that had a display port option. I previously had a r5 2600 and a rx6650xt. I upgraded my whole system at this point going to a r7 7700x and the rx 6800xt. I’ve had to reinstall drivers about 3-4 times at the point as it seems they forget they are installed and stop effecting the cards software. To sum it up I put a secondary pcie power cable to it and reinstalled drivers. Also power supply is a new 850 80+gold.

0 Likes

Let's say they are legitimately killing the cables and there have been enough cables failing to prove that it is the GPU killing them, as far fetched as that seems. I would contact the GPU manufacturer, gather all the cables that died, and try to start an RMA. 

If it is the GPU causing the issue they will replace the GPU and the dead cables.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Hardwood
Paragon

Did you ever use DDU?

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes