cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Cristo648
Journeyman III

Increasing VRAM on Ryzen 5 5500u with a Hp Laptop?

I have HP laptop and I need to increase the VRAM. The only problem is that the Registry Editor option doesn't work and the Bios doesn't have an option to increase it. Also, I don't have thunderbolt ports. What should I do?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Ehtesham
Journeyman III

Same here... I have an Asus Vivobook k15 oled... I have 16gb of ram but 512mb vram only...

When I was checking the specs on several different laptop brands not 1 thing was mentioned about the so low 512VRAM . I would have not bought this 1 year old HP windows 11 with this bad Video ram. 

now I can not install good FPS games because they need gpu at 2Gb's to 4Gb's of video ram. I am so pissed off at HP and AMD for not listing the V ram. so now I got to search for a new laptop that has 2Gb of V RAM. 

0 Likes
attaeht
Journeyman III

Hey, unfortunately if the option to change your VRAM is not available in the iGPU settings in BIOS, there are very little ways to change the VRAM, especially on a laptop.

A common solution completed by many is using a tool called "Smokeless_UMAF", which lets you access many features hidden by the default BIOS simply by booting from a USB. Although I cannot post a tutorial here, there are many videos online, even for this specific chip.

NOTE: This method is not approved by AMD or BIOS manufacturers so the tool must be used at your own risk.

0 Likes

If HP doesn't have a setting to increase vRAM on your IGPU then there is not much you can do except maybe wait for a HP BIOS Update that will include a new setting for vRAM.

Besides, even though your vRAM is the minimum 512Mb Windows will automatically allocate whatever System Memory your IGPU needs to run a game or app. Once the game or app is terminated, The Allocated RAM goes back to System RAM. Whereas if vRAM was assigned in BIOS then that amount of System RAM is permanently removed from System RAM until you change the vRAM setting again in BIOS.

I see two advantages to having more vRAM for your IGPU:

1- You IGPU will run smoother and be more efficient

2- Many Apps requires greater than 2 GB vRAM to run some app features.

In the past, 2 GB used to be the maximum vRAM that BIOS can be assigned to a laptop from System RAM. Now it depends on how much System RAM you have installed or how much vRAM can be assigned by the OEM BIOS Settings.

0 Likes

hi thanks for the info but I don't know how to CK if I can increase Vram on the gpu. I never heard of Igpu so I don't know whats the difference. all I know the CPU and gpu is on the same motherboard so I cant just put in a better gpu. and my HP 15" that has this AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics 2.10 GHz has gotten 2 bio updates and is at F32 from F30 when I got HP 15" laptop and Vram is still at 512Mb.. 

and what your saying about when I want to install a FPS game that needs 2 to 4Gb of Vram you mean to say I can install it and my 512Mb of Vram will go up to 4Gb of Vram on it own and the game will play fine? I only have 8Gb of RAM so the gpu will use 4Gb from the RAM chip to go in or on the GPU Vram chip to play good games then when I am finished playing it goes back to 512Mb Vram or what?

thanks for the info.  and I was wandering can I replace the AMD motherboard on my hp 15" and put in a better 1 that has a better CPU & GPU into this pc and it will work or what do u think? 

thanks for your info.

0 Likes

By "IGPU" means that the GPU is integrated with your AMD Processor, Ryzen 5 5500U except it has no physical vRAM on the chip. So it must use System RAM for that.

HP probably has set the vRAM for 512 MB as it default. So even if you upgrade your BIOS it will still stay on it default of 512 MB unless you physically change it in BIOS Settings.

Now on many laptops the OEM Manufacturer has no BIOS Settings for changing the vRAM. So whatever was assigned that will be permanent.  But if there is a BIOS Settings then you can change the amount of vRAM depending on how much System RAM you have installed or the maximum vRAM allow. But if you assign to much System RAM as vRAM you laptop might become unstable and start crashing all the time.

Yes, Windows will automatically assign whatever System RAM your IGPU will need to run whatever app will be used. Of course, Windows will take into account how much System RAM you have installed. With 8GB of System RAM in your laptop it will be difficult to run certain games on it.

This Tech Articles explain what I am talking about: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/video-ram-windows-10/

Because most integrated graphics solutions automatically adjust to use the amount of system RAM they need, the details reported in the Adapter Properties window don't really matter. In fact, for integrated graphics, the Dedicated Video Memory value is completely fictitious. The system reports that dummy value simply so games see something when they check how much VRAM you have.

You will need to find the Game's Minimum System Requirements to see if you can run those games on your laptop or not.

Or you can just go to one of these 3 gaming sites that will tell if your laptop can run the games you want to run and why it can or can not run them:

System Requirements Lab.com - Can I Run It 

PC Game Benchmark.com - Can I Run It

Game Debate - Can I Run It

NOTE: With only 8 GB of System RAM which is generally the Minimum amount of RAM needed to run most games you laptop might be hard press to run certain High Quality games smoothly if at all.

0 Likes