Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DiGoDak
Journeyman III

How to avoid rust in GPU in high humidity zone

Hi

I live in a town near ocean and have a really big problems with salt and humidity. I bought a new GPU one year ago and it's already died by circuit shortcut, so did my motherboard. Coolers and radiators literally have big pieces of salt. Recently I bought RX5800XT and a new motherboard. How can I prevent rust or extend life of my pc without moving out?

I thought of covering components with layer of some isolating liquid like mineral oil or transformer box oil and moderate air flow. But which liquid won't affect the perfomance, won't heat up and will last longer? And also, does that affects your warranty?

Also I will mount plastic intake to limit incoming air and direct it straight to GPU and CPU radiators like guy named optimum did it on youtube. It will restrict "wet air' from other components. Farther, put some big dust filter like sponge or woman stockings or both. 

And last thought is to use some dehydrating substance. Put it inside of pc and change every 3 months.

Any thoughts?

Is this a great idea or it's a great idea?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Aishapatel
Journeyman III

To prevent GPU rust in high humidity zones, there are several key steps you can take. First, utilize a dehumidifier to control the humidity levels in the room where your GPU is located. This helps to reduce moisture in the air and minimize the risk of condensation on the GPU components. Additionally, ensure proper air circulation and ventilation by using fans or opening windows to keep the air moving. Regularly clean the room and surrounding area to prevent dust and debris buildup, as they can trap moisture and contribute to rust formation. Placing silica gel packets near the GPU helps absorb excess moisture, and when not in use, store the GPU in a dry, sealed container with moisture-absorbing packets. Lastly, perform regular maintenance to check for signs of corrosion or rust and take appropriate actions as needed.

eebiii
Forerunner

awesome preventive measures! @Aishapatel 

That is a lot of work. I was going to say, you need to build a moisture free room or move inland more lol 

0 Likes