Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Pexcii
Journeyman III

GPU overload causes huge performance loss

Hey!

My PC-specs: 

-  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX b550-f gaming.

- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x

- Graphics Card: Asus Radeon rx 6700 xt

- RAM: HyperX FURY 2x 16GB DDR4 3200mhz

- CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M

- Power Unit: MSI MPG A750GF, 750W

- 1 sata disk (220GB) and 2 SSD M.2 NVMe (1 w/ 500GB and 1 w/ 1TB) 

Last week I updated my GPU driver to the latest version and started to see negative changes, like performance loss. 

This occurs when I play a "DirectX11" game called "Paladins", and this also occurs when I try to record footage from that said game. The fps in the game can go from 144fps-40fps, and when the fps loss in the game happens, the recording is losing frames as well. After I've then recorded, I'm stuck with an mp4 video file with 2fps on those parts where my GPU faced overload. Where my GPU didn't face overload, the video frame rate was as high as it should.

Also, this fps/performance loss is much more visible in windowed mode. In fullscreen mode, fps/performance loss happens less. In fullscreen, I might sometimes get stutters losing a few frames here and there, tho I see some frame drops that last over a second here and there as well.

I tested and compared the difference in what the GPU goes through during fps/performance loss, and when the performance is as it should be. When the fps were as low as 50 or 60, I would get GPU usage of 99%. On the other hand, when it was as smooth as 144fps in the game, the GPU usage went from 40% to 90%. This doesn't feel right.

So, what I've done so far to try to solve this is:

- Clean uninstall of AMD GPU driver, both with "DDU" and "AMDcleanuputility". I've done this with several driver versions, but none solves the issue.

- Tried different GPU driver versions, which didn't solve the problem.

- Resetting Windows 11. This did not work.

- Checked if my GPU was perfectly seated into the PCI slot, and it was.

- Checked if the power cables were perfectly in place, and they were.

- Tried changing some values in the "registry editor". 3 values were changed.

1: Through this path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\ApplicationManagement\AllowGameDVR" and changed the "value" to 0.

2: Through this path "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore" and changed "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0, and "GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode" to 2.

Changing these did nothing.

- Updated important Drivers in "Device Manager". This didn't work.

- Updated my Motherboard Bios. This didn't work.

- Updated everything in my "Armoury Crate Update Center". None of these worked.

- Updated the "AMD Chipset Driver" in "Armoury Crate". This didn't help but made it somewhat worse (I saw bigger fps drops even in fullscreen mode).

- Set my gaming mouse polling rate from 1000hz down to 500hz, as I've read it might help fix this issue. However, it did not resolve my issue.

- I've tried some other GPU-demanding games/software such as "VRChat" and "Adobe Premiere Pro" (I played back a 1080p project with a lot of clips (clips were mostly 120fps), effects, etc.) But, none of these had any issues and worked like normal.

- I tried changing power plans (between balanced and high). It gave no better result.

- Lastly I did test another DirectX11 game (Hunt: Showdown) to see if "Paladins" (the game with the performance loss problem) or "DirectX11" is the problem. Hunt is a more GPU demanding game, but it still performed better in windowed + fullscreen the one game I played + recorded. There was some stuttering, but that was nothing much compared to paladins. So might be Paladins that's the problem? Something on my PC making the game corrupt like this?

That's all I've done so far.

Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
0 Replies