Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

CitizenVeen
Adept I

GPU always at max clockspeed when working

Hey all,

I noticed, from the info in the AMD software: Adrenalin Edition program, that my GPU is always running at the maximum allowed clockspeed when used in any way. I noticed it first when I was playing Immortality, which should be, I think a very low demanding game, as it only consists of prerecorded video's, which you view in the order of your choosing. While playing it, the fan on my GPU would go to it's maximum stage as the GPU was at it's maximum clockspeed (currently 1432hz, it's underclocked). I would solve that by unclocking the GPU to an extreme degree (like 300hz maximum), game ran without any problem as it barely requires any visual calculation. I notice it in different game too, GPU is always at max clockspeed, no matter how low or high demanding the game is. That's probably not the best for the GPU's lifespan, and draws alot of extra electricity, heat, fannoise too.

The GPU idle's when on windows desktop, webbrowsing etc (as it should be).

This is my setup:

GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX 590 8G OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Boxed
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 2x 8gb = 16gb
SSD: Intel 660p 512GB

I think in the past, the GPU would just speed up and down to wathever was required of it. I've updated and reinstalled the driver. Is this a bug? It shouldn't constantly be at max speed right?

0 Likes
1 Reply
GasikG
Adept II

You are right, he must always change frequency, depend on what need to do. Check on ASRock webpage maybe your card have new bios for your card. maybe need download new. 

0 Likes