cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

3thanguy7
Journeyman III

Games will not launch in full screen on Radeon RX 6700 XT

I recently upgraded my machine from a mediocre gaming laptop to a decent desktop PC, and this is the only significant growing pain I've run into yet.

The games Risk of Rain 2 and Baldur's Gate 3, specifically, will not launch on the graphics card while in full screen. I know this is a graphics card issue because if I change the default card to the integrated graphics in my CPU, both games launch fine (albeit with unacceptably poor performance). I know it is a full screen issue because if I launch them in windowed mode (either by running on integrated graphics and changing the settings, or from launch settings), they launch fine. Further, if I change the game back to full screen, the games instantly crash.

The crash pattern is also particularly nasty: I launch into full screen, the game hangs for a moment, then the standard windows 11 "not responding dialogue" popup comes up. When I close the app, steam does not register the games as having closed, and task manager breaks, requiring a restart.

So far I have reinstalled, restarted, fixed a DPI issue mentioned in the RoR2 forums, launched with my second monitor fully unplugged, and fully updated my drivers.

Possibly relevant other specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 7600
  • 16GB DDR5 Crucial RAM
  • AOC CQ32G2S 32" monitor running over displayport
0 Likes
4 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

You mention 2 games specifically, are there other games that launch full screen without issue? Or do all games have this problem? Does it crash full screen regardless of resolution or graphics level set in-game?

Any Adrenalin features turned on? FSR/RSR? Anti-Lag? SAM enabled?

When switching between the 6700XT and the IGP are you using the same DP cable? Tried HDMI?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

On further testing, Alan Wake 2 also has the same issue, no other games that I've tested have this issue. It crashes regardless of in-game graphics settings.

I have no adrenalin features turned on. 

I experience the same issue over HDMI.

0 Likes

As you have a supporting CPU I would suggest enabling SAM, it has been shown to increase performance in games and at worst offers little to no improvement. This is done by enabling above 4G decoding in your motherboard BIOS and set re-size BAR to auto. After booting into Windows open the AMD Adrenalin software and enable SAM under Performance, Tuning.

Of course SAM may have no impact on the full screen issue, but it's worth a shot. I personally ran a reference 6700XT for 2 years and did not experience this particular problem however I did not play the 3 games you list. With the popularity of BG3 however I would suspect other reports if this was a general driver issue. It may come down to being an issue with your specific card.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Yeah, still no luck. I'm going to send a message direct to support and see if they can help, thanks for the advice though.

0 Likes