blade888
Adept I

Destiny 2 Graphical Glitches in Hazy Environments

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000
GPU Driver Version: 23.3.1
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro (22H2)

ISSUE: At 4k resolution in Desinty 2 Lightfall, In very specific areas such as Hall of Heros, Hydroponics Delta, or the room above the calus boss fight in the 'Lightfall' expansion where there is grey haze/fog/smoke nearby, random flickering black graphical squares appear on screen around specific items/spots as in the youtube video linked below. 

REPRO STEPS: Easiest way, Go to Hall of Heros on Neptune, look at the tree to the left area, random black squares appear only around that tree when looking in that direction, circle around and look back, no random boxes.

LINKS: https://youtu.be/Ir-rwx--TQc

Troubleshooting so far:

Hardware - Videocard has been fully VRAM tested, GPU shader tested, memory controller tested, and stress tested (Furmark, OCCT, GPUmemtest,etc,etc) with no anomalies and passing all tests over dozens of hours.

Software - Tried all possible graphic settings in game and in driver. These glitches only occur on this game alone in these specific areas at 4k resolution and render at 100%. Hundreds of hours in other games such as Cyberpunk, Assasin's Creed Valhalla, Forza Horizon 3/4, Portal RTX, at any resolution including 4k do not show any artificats at all.

Hypothetical theories/Opinion thus far: Seems too specific to be Hardware VRAM or mem controller perhaps? Bad 4k transparency/texture in Destiny, or driver cannot properly render that specific transparency/texture in 4k?

6 Replies
Markvmatt
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem I noticed it went away with one of the driver updates as of recently but they came out with 3 or so since then and now it’s back and I can’t remember Wich driver fixed it , did you have any luck fixing the issue ?

blade888
Adept I

Still have the issue unfortunately, driver's I have tried have been: 23.2.1, 23.2.2, 23.3.1 and 23.3.2.

0 Likes
ValeYard
Adept I

7900xtx here with the exact same issue. 

0 Likes
ValeYard
Adept I

Still there with newest driver. 

0 Likes
eyes08
Journeyman III

Hi, I have 7900 XTX on 23.4.2 and I get the same flashing black boxes in hazy and foggy areas in Destiny 2 at 4K. Can reproduce it easily by looking at fog and haze at certain angles.

Card doesn't seem to be overheating in any way, and I don't get any similar artefacts in any other games at 4K.

It seemed like a texture thing to me, it's very specific to certain areas and especially in newer parts of the game (i.e last few expansions)

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

Update to this FYI, I ended up getting another 7900XTX as the first one developed hotspot runaway issues during the winter here in Australia. (Colder the ambient temp, the higher the hotspot became, probably bad vapor chamber or contact patch). It was proven, accepted and swapped under warranty. 

Since then this issue no longer occurs for me. So it must be a physical defect that is not being picked up by AMD's QA checks and tests. 

0 Likes